Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
JayKindle
Connoisseur
JayKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8
calibre v08.19 the News Schedule isn't working.

I know it was working the day before the update on Friday. But today, 6am came and went, but no News were processed in Calibre. I always leave Calibre running and there is internet connection. I saw the jobs log, and nothing was processed.

So I tried setting the timer to another time today to see if it would work. I set it up for 3:00pm (it was 2:45pm). Same thing happened. Nothing got processed. I double checked to see if my scheduled news were checked and also for Saturday, they are. So I don't know what to do now?

It does work when I manually execute the download for all of them.

Please advise. I've already tried restarting Calibre and also rebooting my PC. But still the same problem. I wonder if I should uninstall it and revert back to the prior version?

Last edited by JayKindle; 09-17-2011 at 06:31 PM.
JayKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There have been no changes to news scheduling in 0.8.19 or indeed in over six months.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
JayKindle
Connoisseur

Ok, I understand. but it's not working for me. any suggestions? Does it work for you?

Once a week, I run a clean up utility to clean my temp files and everything. Is there anything in the settings where the schedule could have been deleted somehow? In what directory should I find the schedule file that is created when adding news to the schedule. Just to see if it's there or not.

I ran this utility clean up tool, last night before I went to bed. I usually do it on Fridays as a routine. The clean up tool is CCleaner.

Last edited by JayKindle; 09-17-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
JayKindle
Connoisseur

Update:
I first ran the repair from the uninstall, but that didn't help.

I then backup the custom_recipes folder I have worked on and then proceeded in deleting Calibre v0.8.19

After I rebooted, I noticed that the contents in the folder Application Data > Calibre was not cleared during the uninstall. So I deleted everything except for the custom_recipes folder.

I then installed Calibre v08.18, and when I ran the News and scheduled my News to download in the next 5 minutes. It worked. I am going to now change the time to 6am for tomorrow, and I'll report tomorrow if it continues or not to work.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKindle View Post
Update:
I first ran the repair from the uninstall, but that didn't help.

I then backup the custom_recipes folder I have worked on and then proceeded in deleting Calibre v0.8.19

After I rebooted, I noticed that the contents in the folder Application Data > Calibre was not cleared during the uninstall. So I deleted everything except for the custom_recipes folder.

I then installed Calibre v08.18, and when I ran the News and scheduled my News to download in the next 5 minutes. It worked. I am going to now change the time to 6am for tomorrow, and I'll report tomorrow if it continues or not to work.
FWIW Calibre never deletes the contents of the Applications folder. That is where the settings reside that remain through upgrades (and the rare downgrade)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 03:00 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
So I tried setting the timer to another time today to see if it would work. I set it up for 3:00pm (it was 2:45pm). Same thing happened. Nothing got processed. I double checked to see if my scheduled news were checked and also for Saturday, they are. So I don't know what to do now?
You need to be patient and quit rescheduling things. Let me give you an example. I set my recipe to download at 12am and it does this fine. Now I decide I'll set it to 1am just for fun. 1am comes and goes and it doesn't download the recipe, I panic think I did something wrong and set it to 2am. At 2am nothing happens so I uninstall and reinstall and try 3am, again nothing happens so I uninstall and delete the configuration directory and reinstall. I set it for 4am, success, it works! But will it work again? I set it for 5am and at 5am it doesn't download.

What I wrote there will happen every time. I don't know the exact specifics but once it downloads for the day something is tripped and the auto download won't work again until the next day or 24hrs I'm not sure which.

Bottom line is set the thing and quit mucking about with it and it will work.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:16 AM   #7
JayKindle
Connoisseur

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I subscribe to about 10 news articles that are official from Calibre.

The only one that I've been "mucking" with is the one I'm trying to figure out to write the best recipe for it, I have not set up a schedule for it, so I am just downloading that one manually, while I review my settings in hopes to make it perfect (to my eyes.)

So yesterday, I updated Calibre. And had not downloaded any of the official news articles since 6 am that morning (Friday). So I am still concerned and believe it might be something else.

On Saturday, it was already 10am at my work--I have my PC at home, but take my Kindle with me (Wi-Fi) and did not get any of my updates--bummer since I had nothing new to read during lunch. When I got home this afternoon, I saw that Calibre was still running on my tray, and I open the JOB window, and there was no indication that it had run.

Please keep in mind that this application has been working great for me for a week or so. It stopped working when I upgraded. Now that I downgraded to the prior version, its working like it used to. I'll try the next update on Friday.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:41 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Please keep in mind that this application has been working great for me for a week or so. It stopped working when I upgraded. Now that I downgraded to the prior version, its working like it used to. I'll try the next update on Friday.
I wish you well, but it only started working after you deleted the file where it kept track when the auto-download last occurred. I believe this was the reason it started working again and has zero to do with reverting to the last revision.

Keep us informed.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:17 AM   #9
JayKindle
Connoisseur

Yes, that makes sense. Perhaps when I reverted back to the old version and I deleted the files in the Application Settings, the timer got reset. But like I said before, over a week it was working perfectly. And then the recent update, and poof, not working after that.

I'll let you guys know if I experience this again.