Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-23-2021, 02:43 AM   #1
Binchen
Connoisseur
Binchen began at the beginning.

Device: Abakus
Many Tabs open - where did i come from?

Often i have so many tabs open that their names are shortened, often to only 1 or 2 characters (chapter_nn).

Inspecting now a css and follow the definition via "Goto link or style" im landing in the stylesheet. But where did i came from?

To get ahead of the jokers: of course I can remember the last file in the bookbrowser, but unfortunately I forget that far too often in the heat of the moment. And often enough I get from the stick to the branch to the tree and would like to get back to the stick.
Since I have a kind of browser on the right, I would like a history function, in which I would come back to the file from where I came.

Just an idea
Binchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:00 AM   #2
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use Back icon on toolbar.
BeckyEbook is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2021, 10:04 AM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binchen View Post
Often i have so many tabs open that their names are shortened, often to only 1 or 2 characters (chapter_nn).

Inspecting now a css and follow the definition via "Goto link or style" im landing in the stylesheet. But where did i came from?

To get ahead of the jokers: of course I can remember the last file in the bookbrowser, but unfortunately I forget that far too often in the heat of the moment. And often enough I get from the stick to the branch to the tree and would like to get back to the stick.
Since I have a kind of browser on the right, I would like a history function, in which I would come back to the file from where I came.

Just an idea

Hell, I don't always remember the last file in the bookbrowser!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:02 PM   #4
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Brute force: I just clean up the excess tabs by pressing ctl-w (closes the selected tab) until only one tab is left, then open the file I want.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:58 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Brute force: I just clean up the excess tabs by pressing ctl-w (closes the selected tab) until only one tab is left, then open the file I want.
The "You Shall Not Pass!" method of tab management.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2021, 02:05 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Why not right click on a tab title and then select Close Other tabs? Unless you are mouse intolerant, takes less effort (IMHO).

As for the Back button, it doesn't seem to allow me to go back to the previous tab.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:14 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
It does (or should) if you leave the tab via the GoToLinkOrStyle (as per op) as that properly sets the return tab and position.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:31 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
It does (or should) if you leave the tab via the GoToLinkOrStyle (as per op) as that properly sets the return tab and position.
For me, most often I open new tabs by clicking on the filename or by stepping through searches. These are not included in the hover help for the back button. This is different from what the OP and BeckyEbook were discussing. OTOH, if Sigil kept track of the open tabs, it might be possible to use the Back button to step back which would seem to necessitate a Forward button to step forward through the list.

I'm not programming it so, of course, it's very easy to ask for.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #9
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
The "You Shall Not Pass!" method of tab management.

Hitch
Also known as the sledge hammer approach.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:08 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
There is not a one-to-one correspondence between what preview is showing and the tabs and editing in CV is not a browser so no "browser history" is even possible (ie. you can edit css, javascript and etc which has no Preview equivalent).

The back button does do exactly what the op asked when GoToLinkOrStyle or GoTo is used.

New tabs are opened in order.

If in doubt or if too many tabs exist simply right click on a tab you want and close all others. Keeping a small working set is quite useful.

At any time double clicking on a file name in BookBrowser will open/bring that tab to the front of CV.

You can also use Find and Replace across just open tabs now to help if your memory is a bit faulty.

So there are no plans to add anything more.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-30-2021 at 05:11 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:22 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
FWIW: there's a shortcut for Close other tabs, I have it as Ctrl+Alt+W, not sure if that's a factory or custom setting.

OT: I don't get shortened names in the CV tabs. I see this with every html file of user guide open

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-08-31 080757.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	396.5 KB
ID:	189018

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:27 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Which version of Sigil are you using today?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:40 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Which version of Sigil are you using today?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-08-31 083729.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	189023

BR
Old 08-31-2021, 04:59 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just checking. You had said something about going back to an earlier version recently. I just know the eliding of tab titles has gone through changes in the various Qt versions.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:58 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

No worries - I installed 1.0 on another VM, so its there whenif I need it.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-31-2021 at 06:19 AM.