Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #1
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Suggestion: Search mode - open tabs

I recently had to fix up a big eBook that I had made years ago. I wanted to normalize all the "sgc-x" style classes into a common stylesheet, but it seems like I had done the original book in chunks. This meant that in the first third of the book, sgc-1 might be italics; while in the middle, it might be bold and centred; and in the end, it might be right-aligned.

To repair these by using quick find & replacing, I had to use the "Selected HTML Files" search mode, and I found it a little less than idea, as clicking a tab deselects your selection, and I had to continuously reselect the pages I wanted to work in.

What I think would make more sense is to search within tabs that are opened. This way, I could do a search for the sgc style in the page's header, then find invocations in all opened tabs.

Any chance this is doable/feasible in future updates?
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Selecting a set of files in BookBrowser and running the created search and replace on them seems to work well for me. I would not want to have to open 10 or more files in into tabs just to run a search. Just identify which files need what first, close all but the cover, then select the set and run the search and replace.

So I very much doubt how useful this would be given what we have now.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2020, 08:31 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There's things I'd love to change about search scopes in Sigil, but there would be a formidable amount of refactoring that needed to be done first to S&R to accommodate just about anything. So much that it makes my head hurt just thinking about how/where to start.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:51 PM   #4
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Just a suggestion for discussion that might satisfy the OP. I do not think I would use it often enough to even consider making the change.

Would it be easier to put check boxes next to the filenames and have search and replace only work on these files. The file selection could then remain until manually changed.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My main issue is Sigil losing the selection of pages easily (I know its user error but it's very easy to trigger), so I'd be okay with a solution like that. It seems a little less intuitive than working with open tabs, but if it were something the devs would do then I'd definitely be okay with it.
Advert
Old 06-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry. I can't see implementing persistent checkboxes for the files in Book Browser to basically serve the identical purpose of searching only selected files. I know you say "losing the selections" happens too easily, but that can be solved by changing your workflow to make the selection of files be the last thing you check before searching.

It could be just as easy to forget you closed a tab or two before initiating a new search in my opinion. So I'm not certain how using the open tabs for the scope of a search would be any more intuitive than using checkboxes in Book Browser, or the already existing "Selected Files." It's all going to come down to a user training themselves to make sure they have the scope on their search nailed down before they search no matter which method is used. And we can't do that for them.

Sorry, but I'm afraid changes to S&R's scope(s) isn't in the cards right now.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:09 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
probably

If you have many tabs open you probably can't see them all in the tab bar. And, I'm not aware of any way to see what they are, other than stepping through them with Next/Previous Tab. If its easy to do, it may be useful to have the Book browser italicise the file names that are open.

I wish Sigil would allow no tabs - i.e. a blank canvas.

Other tabbed applications permit no tabs to be open; e.g. MS Office (via an add-in), Firefox, text & image editors, my PDF viewer, and the calibre editor - and I've customised them all to use Ctrl+W to close the current tab.

So to 'clear the decks' I hold down Ctrl+W to close all the tabs - except in Sigil it is all bar one

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:18 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I wish Sigil would allow no tabs - i.e. a blank canvas.
Never going to happen. I don't say that to be difficult, or rude. I say it so you can put the idea out of your head and move on from wishing for it. Sigil will always require that one resource tab be open at all times. Period.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:38 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Other tabbed applications permit no tabs to be open; e.g. MS Office (via an add-in), Firefox, text & image editors, my PDF viewer, and the calibre editor - and I've customised them all to use Ctrl+W to close the current tab.
Using Firefox, every time I close the last open tab, Firefox closes.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:03 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Using Firefox, every time I close the last open tab, Firefox closes.
There was a setting somewhere to stop that, but now I can't find it. But I have some pinned tabs and they don't get removed with a Ctrl+W, so it could be them that stopping it closing.

BR
Old 06-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
There was a setting somewhere to stop that, but now I can't find it. But I have some pinned tabs and they don't get removed with a Ctrl+W, so it could be them that stopping it closing.

BR
There is a setting called browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab which is still listed in Firefox. It may be due to one of the several Firefox addons I run but setting that to false has not worked for me for a while now.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:10 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@DNSB - continued in The Lounge Tech Vent and Rant threat ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=706

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-15-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #13
Vanguard3000
Groupie

@DiapDealer Thanks for your responses. It's unfortunate that nothing practical can be done about it, but I understand. I've been using Sigil for about ten years now and I'm a big fan of it overall, so keep up the good work!

Quote:
@DNSB - continued in The Lounge Tech Vent and Rant threat
Thank you! Every time I post something on these forums it seems to get derailed.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
@DiapDealer Thanks for your responses. It's unfortunate that nothing practical can be done about it, but I understand. I've been using Sigil for about ten years now and I'm a big fan of it overall, so keep up the good work!
Don't get me wrong: S&R could really use a bit of love and attention. When it DOES eventually get it, we'll see about providing some new search scope options then. It's just not on the table in the very near future.