Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
Cedar
Cedar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Update Problems

I recently installed Calibre 0.9.37 (32 bit) on Windows 7. I got the update message for 0.9.38, however, when I click the link, nothing happens! What's supposed to happen?

My Windows is 64 bit, does that mean I should be using the 64 bit Calibre? Could that cause this problem?

If all else fails, can the new version be simply downloaded and installed over the old?
Cedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar View Post
I recently installed Calibre 0.9.37 (32 bit) on Windows 7. I got the update message for 0.9.38, however, when I click the link, nothing happens! What's supposed to happen?

My Windows is 64 bit, does that mean I should be using the 64 bit Calibre? Could that cause this problem?

If all else fails, can the new version be simply downloaded and installed over the old?
All it is meant to do is open the downloads web page. Doing the download and install is still a manual process.

Note that there is no requirement to install all updates. Many people only take some of the updates when they see something in the release notes they think may be of interest to them. Others are upgrade junkies and take all updates as they become available.

On Windows 64-bit you can run either the 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Calibre. In fact i believe they can both be installed in parallel if you want. I have seen some people using this capability to allow both the new release and an earlier release on the system at the same time.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
When you click the link the calibre download page for your calibre version should open in your browser.

Quote:
Using the 32 bit version is fine and will cause no problems.

Quote:
That is the way each update is installed.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote