Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #1
Risto40
Enthusiast
Risto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo web browser

Hi,

I have the very old Kobo Glo. My current studybooks are in VitalSource VBK format that cannot be printed to pdf. So the only option would be to read with VitalSource app or via web browser. As Kobo ereaders are not android readers, web browser would be only choice. But at least on Kobo Glo, i can sign in, select the book but when i click Open to open the book, nothing happens and after long wait or click on Open again the browser crashes.

Does anyone know if any Kobo ereader currently on sale is capable of reading VBK books from VitalSource Bookshelf webpage?
Risto40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If you have Python installed on your computer, you could try this:

https://github.com/manhtai/vitalsource-printer

No idea if it works, though; I don't use their service.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
I seriously doubt any of the Kobo eInk devices would be able to read VBK books from VitalSource Bookshelf webpage; the f/w on all of them is basically the same (save for minor differences for different hardware).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
Risto40
Enthusiast
Risto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Glo
I talked to Kobo support and in conclusion it is not possible. VitalSource website wants first to download the book in the background, but Kobo support told me that their browser is only for browsing and does not allow downloads. And the browser itself across they product line is the same. So that is very likely the main reason why my Glo was not able to open the book, and today's Kobo devices shouldn't be able to do that either.
Risto40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
The browser does allow downloading....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert