Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
The Reader - Christmas release date

This new reader looks interesting.

Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Interesting premise. The novel sounds even better than the movie (even though Oprah picked it for her book club).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Reader
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The novel that the movie is based on is available in multiple ebook formats (in English).
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook3350.htm

Does anyone know if it is available in the original German?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The novel that the movie is based on is available in multiple ebook formats (in English).

Sorry Nate, I can only find references to pbook.

*edit* found a post using google translate???

http://translate.google.ca/translate...2522%26hl%3Den

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 12-22-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

(Almost) nobody reads eBooks in Germany
So no, sorry, Der Vorleser (that´s the German title) is not available as eBook. (Theres an ebook by König that explains and elaborates The reader for pupils who read it at school, but that´s certainly not what you´re looking for.)

If you can get it in English, go for it. I read it about 10 years ago and would definitely recommend it. Don´t be put off by thinking it´s a "typical German Nazi-story". It´s not, I promise
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
Hi to all,

it's not true, that almost nobody in germany is reading ebooks - fact is, there are not so many german ebooks on the market since there is a fixed price for books and germans do not see the reason to pay for an ebook the same money they have to for a normal book. it has to be a lot cheaper.
the second reason is, that there are not enough ebook-readers on the german market. the few there are are overpriced.

If people read ebooks in Germany, they read them in english, like i did for the last 7 years.

Since the last Frankfurter Buchmesse (the book fair) ebooks are the big new kid on the block - and the publisher are diskussing what to do and how they can get around this fixed bookprices (Buchpreisbindung).
Just wait foe the next 6 month.
If Sony is gettimg his 505 and Amazon its Kindle on the german market, than it will be the same like it was with the itunes-store.
But that is only my opinion.
Take care
Harry

(right now i am reading: Red Rabbit - Tom Clancy on my palm lifedrive
- but i see the 505 under the tree)
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry001 View Post
Hi to all,

it's not true, that almost nobody in germany is reading ebooks - fact is, there are not so many german ebooks on the market since there is a fixed price for books and germans do not see the reason to pay for an ebook the same money they have to for a normal book. it has to be a lot cheaper.
the second reason is, that there are not enough ebook-readers on the german market. the few there are are overpriced.
I know, Harry. I was just kidding, that´s why I put the above. I didn´t mean to offend German readers. I´m German - and I read ebooks, see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry001 View Post
If people read ebooks in Germany, they read them in english, like i did for the last 7 years.

Since the last Frankfurter Buchmesse (the book fair) ebooks are the big new kid on the block - and the publisher are diskussing what to do and how they can get around this fixed bookprices (Buchpreisbindung).
Just wait foe the next 6 month.
If Sony is gettimg his 505 and Amazon its Kindle on the german market, than it will be the same like it was with the itunes-store.
But that is only my opinion.
I agree with you. As far as I know, Sony will launch the 505 in spring 2009. I´m sure people will buy it and the number of Germans reading ebooks will increase.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
last week or the week befor that, there was a large article in the www.sueddeutsche.de about ebooks and the querrel they are doing with the prices.
I thought first about writing an essay for www.Germany.info - concerning ebooks in Germany, but decided against it.

So i am happy to be right now in the us (for buying ebooks and gimmicks with a good exchange rate)

keep reading
Harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote