Notices

Old 01-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
dsuden
Connoisseur
dsuden doesn't litterdsuden doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Preserving Tags When Copying From Reader

Hi Kovid,

I need to copy my books back to my computer using the latest version of Calibre. I have tried it, but the only option I can find copies them to the hard drive but does not add them to the "library." Maybe as a result, the tags seem to be lost when the files are copied from the reader. Is there a workaround that will preserve all that precious tag info?

Also, is there a way to copy books directly from the reader to the library? It's probably staring me in the face but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Thanks,

Dane
dsuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuden View Post
Also, is there a way to copy books directly from the reader to the library? It's probably staring me in the face but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Dane
I've never tried it. But, rather than copying try importing the ebooks from the reader.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Unfortunately, tags on the reader are stored in a separate XML file, so there is no simple way to transfer them back to calibre. And no, there isn't anyway to transfer from reader to calibre directly. It's still a simple process, just select all books, click save to disk and then use the recursive import feature of calibre.

EDIT: And as bob pointed out, if you have a 505, you can just use recursive import directly on the folder containing the books in your reader
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote