Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2020, 06:03 AM   #1
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
borrowing directly from library without overdrive?

My city library doesn't use Overdrive yet. But they said that some people manage to borrow, download and read directly to the reader, if one have wifi, can go to their web page and log in. And that the reader is already authorized through ADE through the computer.

Mine is authorized through the computer, imported to Calibre and than transferred into the reader. That's how I have borrowed books for some years now with my Glo HD and now my new Clara HD.

I managed to log in to my librarary through the reader's browser, chosed borrow and got the message from the library that I succeeded. On my computer that mean that I have downloaded the acsm-file to the laptop. Then I open the ascm file to get the actual book.

But no ascm file was downloaded to the reader. Connected it to my laptop and looked for it with no results. Since the library said that I succeeded, it seems strange I can't find it. And still need to open it to download the actual book to the reader.

Have anyone done this before?
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:26 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
No, Kobo do not handle the ACSM file. If you tried to download one, you should get a warning about the device not handling them. You need to download load them with ADE and sideload.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2020, 06:45 AM   #3
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, Kobo do not handle the ACSM file. If you tried to download one, you should get a warning about the device not handling them. You need to download load them with ADE and sideload.
Okej, thanks. Would have been nice.

Does this mean that when my local library hopefully starts with Overdrive I will be able to borrow directly to the Clara HD reader? I suppose that the Overdrive process doesn't use ascm files then.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:19 AM   #4
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by marp68 View Post
Does this mean that when my local library hopefully starts with Overdrive I will be able to borrow directly to the Clara HD reader? I suppose that the Overdrive process doesn't use ascm files then.
Yes, works fine with my Kobo to borrow from, for example, the city library of Gothenburg.

But it's still just a subset of all ebooks available that way. So I mostly borrow books from the computer.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:23 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
It should. But, it is possible for the library to opt out, or not opt in, I don't know how that side of it is handled. I haven't heard of a library that uses OD in a country that has Kobo OD support, that doesn't use it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Yes, works fine with my Kobo to borrow from, for example, the city library of Gothenburg.

But it's still just a subset of all ebooks available that way. So I mostly borrow books from the computer.
So, you're in Gothenburg. I read that they're using it, but only for a parto the books. I'm in Stockholm, and they decided not to go through with Overdrive at all for now unfortunately.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Okej, thanks. Would have been nice.
A Tolino Shine 3 (hardware clone of the Clara HD) would allow direct borrowing since it has ADE built-in (all Tolinos have ADE built-in and some can be found used fairly inexpensively). PocketBooks have ASCM support built-in also and they're also probably available on the used market.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #8
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Once you have the .acsm file you can double click it to open it in Adobe Digital Dimensions which will download the book from wherever. After that finishes, in Adobe Digital Dimensions click on the File menu and select Show in Explorer; on my Windows PC that opens the folder C:\Users\hobnail\Documents\My Digital Editions or in the Explorer under Quick Access it's in Documents (My Digital Editions).

Find the book in that and drag it into Calibre and if you have the Apprentice Alf plugin installed it will remove the DRM. Of course you should never remove the DRM from library books but I don't want to hassle with Overdrive on my ereader and I would never "share" books with others.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Once you have the .acsm file you can double click it to open it in Adobe Digital Dimensions which will download the book from wherever. After that finishes, in Adobe Digital Dimensions click on the File menu and select Show in Explorer; on my Windows PC that opens the folder C:\Users\hobnail\Documents\My Digital Editions or in the Explorer under Quick Access it's in Documents (My Digital Editions).
But marp68 is trying to find a way to directly download borrowed books to the Kobo Clara HD.

But what is Adobe Digital Dimensions? Something new?
Old 09-01-2020, 03:10 PM   #10
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
A Tolino Shine 3 (hardware clone of the Clara HD) would allow direct borrowing since it has ADE built-in (all Tolinos have ADE built-in and some can be found used fairly inexpensively). PocketBooks have ASCM support built-in also and they're also probably available on the used market.

Interesting, thanks. Before I bought the first Kobo, the HD Glo, I was thinking about Tolino. And now I just bought the Clara when the Glo died.

Maybe Kobo in the near future can update it with support for ADE
Old 09-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo does use RMSDK. But they've obviously decided not to enable .acsm support for direct downloading on ePub. This could be because Kobo wants you to buy eBooks from them and download them as KePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Interesting, thanks. Before I bought the first Kobo, the HD Glo, I was thinking about Tolino. And now I just bought the Clara when the Glo died.
There's a lot to be said for sticking with what you're used to using.

Quote:
Maybe Kobo in the near future can update it with support for ADE
I doubt it. It would not be in their interest to make it easier to buy from other bookstores.