Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
kearalu
kearalu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
New Kindle Issue? Same resolution.

Over the weekend I had an issue with my new (first) 3rd gen Kindle (wireless version). When I opened the cover, there was only a blank screen (no screen saver/picture). When I pressed menu, I was able to get a list of my books, but when I selected a book, that screen also was blank and pressing backward and forward buttons made no difference. I tried pressing the button that changes the text size, in case there was a setting for contrast, thinking that maybe one of my kids had been playing with it, and although that pop-up came up I was unable to select or make changes to any of those settings. I also saw that, no there were no contrast settings.

I began researching online, both on the Kindle community and here and read about the spontaneous resets (not the problem I was having) and the possibility that that problem was caused by the original, non-lighted cover, which I have. So, I finally decided to give it a shot and took my Kindle out of the cover and gave it a manual reset by holding the wake button to the right for 15 seconds. That did not immediately seem to solve the issue. So I requested a call from Amazon Kindle CS.

CS called me in 5 minutes and by that time my screen saver and pages were visible again. I told the CS representative what had happened and what I did to resolve the problem. I stuck to my guns about the fact that removing it from the cover seemed to resolve the problem and he admitted that he would have suggested that as a potential resolution. Then he quickly said he would upgrade me, free of charge to the lighted cover.

Interesting. Clearly there is an issue there. I'm not sure what is going on or why my issue seems to be different than what I've seen described elsewhere. I have not done any firmware upgrades since receiving my Kindle. I'm not sure what version I'm on or how exactly to tell. Regardless, the resolution seems to have been the same--removing the Kindle from the cover.

So, would YOU buy the lighted cover or use your credit to get something else?
kearalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Get the lighted cover. It's excellent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
kearalu
kearalu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How could I ignore the advice of a fellow Whovian?
kearalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I love my lighted cover and have never had any problems.

Although it makes no sense, these kinds of problems with the cover seem to happen more often with 3G Kindles than those with only wifi.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I have had no problems with the LIGHTED cover. That is a nice UPgrade.

Good move on their part and on yours for holding your ground.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
To be honest for the price of the Amazon unlighted cover, I think there are better options like the tuff-luv flip covers for example which enable you to stand your Kindle up and also have inner pockets.

But I have the lighted cover and I really do think it's the bee's knees - no way would I swap for anything else.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Is the screen illuminated evenly by the lighted cover? My eyes seem to be bit sensitive to this and I always find myself adjusting the light so that screen is evenly illuminated (no more light at one part than the other). I would think that the light from cover would be significantly stronger at the upper side than the lower side?
Also, are there no problems with the reflection? My experience with point lights and Kindle is not very positive - I can only use them under higher angles, otherwise the reflection is very strong.
And finally, what about the batteries? I have heard that the lighted cover eats more than then Kindle itself...
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Vote about your problem.

If you are having this problem, vote here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110682
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
janvanmaar:

The light is not even and is dimmer at the lower end of the k3 and, at least, for me, does not adequately light up the keyboard. I do find it adequate for reading but if uneven light bothers you then the lighted case might not be appropriate for you.

I have seen estimates that with the light, the fully charged battery would last about 20+ hours. Definitely less than using the k3 alone. But then again, I do not have deal with using a separate light, charging or replacing separate batteries. It is very convenient. Reading for, say, 2 hours, it would last about 10 days and you can recharge. I do not have to search for my light - it is right there and immediately available.

It is a pricey case, though.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for useful information! It is probably not for me then. I could compromise the battery life for the convenience of a lighted cover, price is not a big issue either but the uneven light would really bug me. Sorry for deteriorating from the original topic... but if anybody knew of more even light for Kindle, could you please mention it And I promise I am not going off topic anymore!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post
Sorry for deteriorating from the original topic... but if anybody knew of more even light for Kindle, could you please mention it
It's just not physically possible to have a light that is not brighter at it's source. The only way to accomplish this is with a backlit screen.

The light on this cover illuminates the entire screen - although not evenly - even in pitch dark conditions. I read 90% of the time in bed with no other light on. My eyesight has deteriorated quite a bit these past few years and I am very sensitive to light conditions. Even so, the lighted cover works perfectly for me.

The only thing I would not recommend the lighted cover for is typing. It does not light up the keyboard.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
janvanmaar
Addict

Quote:
It's just not physically possible to have a light that is not brighter at it's source. The only way to accomplish this is with a backlit screen.
True - I was not asking for a perfectly even distribution, just for a more even distribution than that described by FF2 or that I can see in your avatar There could be, for instance, cover lights which can be positioned further away from the device and/or more towards the centre of the screen, thus minimizing the effect. Or perhaps a more intensive light could make the effect less visible by human eyes.
Basically, I use a reading-lamp at the moment and I can always adjust it so that the Kindle does not reflect (using wider angles) and the light distribution is reasonably even. But, of course, I have to re-adjust everytime I change the position of my Kindle. If a cover light existed which would enable a (close to) lamp like light and reading experience, I would take it regardless the price.
Quote:
My eyesight has deteriorated quite a bit these past few years and I am very sensitive to light conditions.
The same here - that is probably also why I became so picky about the lighting conditions... I did not care about it when I was young and pretty. Ok, just young.
Quote:
Even so, the lighted cover works perfectly for me.
Hm, perhaps I could try it then - but from the description I got here and also elsewhere it seems that it is probably not what I am looking for. Thanks for your input though!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post
True - I was not asking for a perfectly even distribution, just for a more even distribution than that described by FF2 or that I can see in your avatar
I agree that the lighting in my avatar looks very uneven. I am by no means a photographer and this was taken hastily in a combination of natural light from the window, overhead lighting, the camera flash, and the Kindle light. It doesn't accurately represent the booklight in any way. I was just demonstrating how the light pulled out for my family on facebook.

Honestly, I did not expect to keep the cover when I ordered it. I hoped I would like it but didn't expect to. I thought I would end up with a regular cover and a clip on light that was more evenly distributed.

I will try to take a picture that shows the actual lighting both for you and for the original poster. It still not be the light for you but at least you will have something better to go on.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:37 AM   #14
janvanmaar
Addict

Oh, that'd be great if you could! I have seen a few pictures but I doubt any of them tried to reproduce the real lighting.
I was also thinking to order it and then return if it is not good for me. While possible, it would cause some hassle and cost me something since I am in Europe...
Old 12-15-2010, 06:47 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The way the light works is that the light from the download-pointing LEDs is reflected from the wide metal "stalk" of the light, and from there illuminates the screen. You can adjust the "evenness" of the illumination by slighting bending the light stalk.

I think personally that it's an excellent light. Its major benefit - which no other light solution provides - is that, because it's powered from the Kindle itself, the light automatically goes out when the Kindle goes to sleep, which is excellent if, like me, you tend to fall asleep while reading in bed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote