Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
MRC01
MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Kobo, Android Mantano, Linux PC, Kindle
Kobo Sideloaded Font Weights

So I got my Kobo Glo HD working perfectly: syncing Calibre tags as collections, syncing notes & annotations, Kobo full screen mode, creating KEPUBs to open some of the extra features, and side loaded a couple of fonts I like.

Thanks to the open source community for Calibre and these great plugins!

However, the Kobo rendered my side-loaded fonts a bit on the light side and didn't have a UI to adjust the weight like it does for the built-in fonts. But I found a way to make the Kobo render sideloaded fonts with any weight - it's just not in the UI.

Connect the Kobo to your PC via USB, open it like a drive and edit the .conf file in the Kobo directory. Find the section listing font weights and sharpness. Add a line specifying a weight for your side-loaded font, following the format of the surrounding lines. The default weight Kobo uses seems to be around 0.06; the range 0.1 to 0.2 seems ideal for most fonts, but you can go up to around 0.8.

PS the config file also has a sharpness setting for each font. There is no UI for this, so it looks like something the Kobo sets automatically based on the weight. I added lines to the config file to try different sharpnesses for sideloaded fonts. I didn't see any difference, even under a magnifying glass, so I removed these lines. Perhaps the sharpness setting might make a difference on other fonts, or at more extreme size or weight settings?

Last edited by MRC01; 10-24-2016 at 11:54 AM.
MRC01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Perhaps you may like to patch the firmware with Metazoa Patches by GeoffR for Freedom to advanced fonts control instead. See all of them Here.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
"Sharpness" was exposed in the UI in earlier versions of the 3.x firmware. I don't know why it was removed.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Instructions for patching firmware 3.19.5761 does have the Freedom to advance fonts control. So have a read and you'll b able to patch the firmware to allow the weight of side loaded TTF fonts to be adjusted to your liking.

If you are not on firmware 3.19.5761, you'll have to update in order to use the patches for that firmware version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
MRC01
MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

That's super cool - thanks for the reference.
Advert
Old 10-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Keep this in mind: if the added weight is large, use Fontforge to do it.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Keep this in mind: if the added weight is large, use Fontforge to do it.
If you use the Advanced Font Control to do it and you want to back down, you can. If you want to go up, you can. If you ue Fontforge, you're stuck with that weight at the minimum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #8
MRC01

I just patched my GloHD firmware 3.19.5761. Works great. Thanks again for the tip.