Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
FW 3.2 - Perma line on screen after reboot

The firmware just finished updating and after I ejected and let my HD reboot I have that horizontal line running across the screen in the photo below.

It's visible in text and on the homescreen also. I've done another reboot (holding the power switch until it restarts) with the same result.

Has this happened to anyone else? Really hoping it's not a hardware problem with coincidental timing.

[Edit] Can someone link me to the steps for downgrading the firmware?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0586.JPG
Views:	602
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	120031  

Last edited by sharphamster; 03-09-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: added a question
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
That looks like a hardware fault. The good news is that it doesn't look like a cracked substrate so it should be covered under warranty. If you want to try downgrading you can find directions and links in the developers subforum at the top of the Kobo forum.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Just desperately hoping someone would say it was a simple firmware upgrade SNAFU.

I've contacted Kobo, and will see how I fair with their Customer Care here in the US.

Thanks for the response, robko.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It could be a weird software issue; the question in that case is, why would it only affect you...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
sharphamster
Anathema Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
It could be a weird software issue; the question in that case is, why would it only affect you...
My weird luck, I was thinking :]

Doing a factory reset after trying soft and pinhole resets, and the screen still displays the line, though it looks thinner.

Probably wishful thinking on my part.
Advert
Old 03-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Sharp, what happens when you turn the device off?

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
sharphamster
Anathema Device

Same - it's visible on the sleep screen, and re-appears after rebooting.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
Same - it's visible on the sleep screen, and re-appears after rebooting.

On another note have you tried to back your data base up and do a full system restore to the last known good firmware you had? This may eliminate/confirm the bad hardware theory and if it does go away at this point it may point towards a corrupt line in the new firmware you have.

regards

JAck

Last edited by jackastor; 03-10-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #9
sharphamster
Anathema Device

I'm going to take the plunge and see if I can go back to 3.1.1, in case it is a strange firmware problem. First time messing with my Kobo, so wish me luck.

A second factory reset has not gotten rid of the line, btw. Really afraid it's a hw problem.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
sharphamster
Anathema Device

Firmware 3.1.1 installed (that was so easy!), but has not helped get rid of that line unfortunately. I'm waiting to hear back from Kobo after contacting them by email and chat about the issue.

Still, glad to know how to install a firmware of my choice. Got another problem with a missing option fixed in a different thread, and can't say how much I appreciate the help here.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
sharphamster
Anathema Device

Looks like Kobo will be replacing my HD.

I have to mention that CS via Chat have been pretty responsive and helpful - I was expecting much more of a frustrating time. I jsut uploaded my photos, receipt and a copy of the previous Chat transcript, and Stephan J was right on it.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard

well that's good to hear. Hopefully you will get sorted asap
Old 03-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #13
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Sorry to hear about that line.
Good to see that Kobo is going to deal with that (as it should be from the look of your Aura HD).
Very nice skin. Is it a DecalGirl one? What colour was your Aura HD before? Seriously, very nice skin For the first time I could consider getting one.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
sharphamster
Anathema Device

Kobo is being terrific about this - sending me a new unit before I send them mine. I think it took all of 1/2 an hour on Chat to resolve.

Thanks samhy, it is a DecalGirl skin on my Onyx HD. Valentina Ramos' Sugar Skull design, and the matte finish really helped with the slipperiness factor of the HD's back.

I have to thank BookLover for getting me into skins. The T1 she sold me in the Fleamarket here came with one, otherwise I don't think I would have tried one out on my own.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:58 AM   #15
jackastor
Wizard

Glad you got a result that was positive!

Regards

Jack