Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-19-2016, 06:19 AM   #1
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre settings (migrating from Kobo to Kindle Paperwhite)

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I've decided to transfer from Kobo to a Kindle after being very dissatisfied with my Glo HD.

I've installed Kobo Utilities and plugboards on Calibre so that took care of all the metadata, covers, and series names/number, etc. on my Kobo devices.

I want to do the same thing on my soon to arrive Paperwhite and I have no idea what to do. Basically, my concern is for my books on my Paperwhite to be complete with covers and the series names, and I don't know if I need to install a plugin for that (like a Kindle equivalent of Kobo Utilities plugin) or if the plugboard tutorial I found will take care of series numbering and simply transferring via cable from Calibre to Paperwhite will also transfer the book covers.

With Kobo, I connect the device, transfer the books, eject, and reconnect to finally transfer the metadata and the covers.

Also, is there a way to mark books as 'read', 'reading', or 'unread' in Calibre and then sync it to the Paperwhite so that when I finally transfer my books to the device, I don't have to manually mark the reading status of books individually?

Thanks!
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Yes, you need to set up a Plugboard for Series info
Remember, these can be made Format Sensitive (not All) if needed

There is also a PI for making Kindle Collections from Calibre metadata

I believe these only work if you side load (that is all I do with my K4)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Yup I'm also sideloading all my books. What plugin are you referring to for the Kindle Collections?
Old 04-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovesflying View Post
Yup I'm also sideloading all my books. What plugin are you referring to for the Kindle Collections?
The one with that name

Preferences(menu): Get Plugins: Kindle Collections
Old 04-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
melovesflying
Groupie

Oh I see. Do I need to jailbreak my device for that?
Advert
Old 04-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Oh I see. Do I need to jailbreak my device for that?
I have no idea.

The PI is a Calibre PI

There is a MR Calibre Plugins thread describing it and user questions

BTW I read that new Kindles are hard (impossible?) to Jailbreak

You might want to spend time looking at thread subject lines in the Kindles forum
Old 04-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Paperwhite -- and all touchscreen Kindles -- needs to be jailbroken. See the relevant stickies in our Kindle Developers Corner.
A newly-purchased Kindle stands a good chance of not shipping with firmware 5.7.x so keep the WiFi OFF until you have a chance to jailbreak.

The Collections plugin is pretty handy and works for all books not just the sideloaded ones.

The Kindle has no concept of series #, but I use a plugboard to insert it into the title instead, which works as well for me:
Code:
{title}{#subseries:| (|, }{#subseries_index:|Book |)}{series:| (|, }{series_index:|Book |)}

No syncing the read status unfortunately. Like most things, the Kindle stores that info in the hidden system partition.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #8
melovesflying
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The Paperwhite -- and all touchscreen Kindles -- needs to be jailbroken. See the relevant stickies in our Kindle Developers Corner.
A newly-purchased Kindle stands a good chance of not shipping with firmware 5.7.x so keep the WiFi OFF until you have a chance to jailbreak.

The Collections plugin is pretty handy and works for all books not just the sideloaded ones.

The Kindle has no concept of series #, but I use a plugboard to insert it into the title instead, which works as well for me:
Code:
{title}{#subseries:| (|, }{#subseries_index:|Book |)}{series:| (|, }{series_index:|Book |)}

No syncing the read status unfortunately. Like most things, the Kindle stores that info in the hidden system partition.
So I have to jailbreak it immediately out of the box? Also, how is Kindle Collections different from just merely making a plugboard to include series numbers in books?
Old 04-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
So I have to jailbreak it immediately out of the box? Also, how is Kindle Collections different from just merely making a plugboard to include series numbers in books?
These are really getting to be Kindle forum questions

Plugboard just forces data into Kindle recognized fields

A Collection is book GROUPING (menu tool) that Kindles have .
This is NOT part of the book

The PI mumbles data into that area of the device.

A common usage is Series , but it can be anything. To read, MyFavs
Old 04-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #10
melovesflying
Groupie

@theducks sorry about that but thank you for the help.