Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
fixing a font size (on a Kindle Paperwhite)

I just got a book for my kindle paperwhite. One font size is too small, but the next size up is way too large - I can't seem to get anything in between. This is true no matter what font I select (I am using the USE_ALT_FONTS trick to add some fonts). I'm using Calibre 9.28 and all the current versions of plugins.

I deleted the book through Calibre.

I converted it to epub, and used the Modify ePub plugin, and then went into Tweak Books and removed all the font size: x-small notations from the css.

I reconverted the book to Mobi and re-loaded it on my kindle.

When I go back into the book, however, I still have the same font issues. What am I doing wrong?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
I just got a book for my kindle paperwhite. One font size is too small, but the next size up is way too large - I can't seem to get anything in between. This is true no matter what font I select (I am using the USE_ALT_FONTS trick to add some fonts). I'm using Calibre 9.28 and all the current versions of plugins.

I deleted the book through Calibre.

I converted it to epub, and used the Modify ePub plugin, and then went into Tweak Books and removed all the font size: x-small notations from the css.

I reconverted the book to Mobi and re-loaded it on my kindle.

When I go back into the book, however, I still have the same font issues. What am I doing wrong?
You need to install a modified font in your USE_ALT_FONTS / fonts folder

I am attaching two that I use to overcome this problem. There are lots more modified fonts for you to download from Mobileread but I cannot find the link.

By the way, you do not need to jailbreak your Kindle to use these fonts.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SPRounded.zip (115.8 KB, 396 views)
File Type: zip Sylvia.zip (246.0 KB, 340 views)

Last edited by Moonraker; 04-27-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I am using a modified font, that I got from the fonts thread in the Amazon Kindle forum. The problem seemed to exist in every font I tried. I will try yours though - I always like to try new fonts.

What I think is happening is that somehow the old mobi file isn't being totally taken off the kindle, even though I remove it with Calibre, because when I go back to my kindle after reloading the exploded and remade and re-converted file, it's back in the same collection it was in in the first place.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I found the link for the Kindle fonts:

http://www.orangetype.com/kindle/

Ignore the comment that you need to jailbreak your Kindle. I think the webpage must have been written before some lovely person discovered USE_ALT_Fonts.

I don't use calibre to sideload my fonts. Everything I do is through Windows Explorer. I connect my Kindle to the computer using the USB cable then I copy and paste the ebook files into the documents folder on the Kindle. I delete ebook files this way too.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
because when I go back to my kindle after reloading the exploded and remade and re-converted file, it's back in the same collection it was in in the first place.
The PW seems to have some interesting cache issues...try restarting your PW after removing the book, then add the new version of the book back onto your PW.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert