Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-08-2024, 09:08 PM   #1
foosion
Groupie
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Clara BW
Odd behavior from Libra 2

Two strange things from my Libra 2

1) Occasionally when I push the page turn button nothing will happen. I'll wait a bit, then push it again and it will skip forward two pages. I'm waiting much longer than it should take to go to the next page.

2) While the device was charging from a normal USB-C charger the screen went blank and three dots appeared, blinking in order. I unplugged and it went back to the usual sleeping screen. Wifi is off. This only happened once.

???
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:20 AM   #2
foosion
Groupie
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

1) It did it again. I pressed the page turn button and nothing happened. I waited 30 seconds to make sure I wasn't double clicking, then clicked again and the reader skipped forward two pages. This was at a chapter boundary.

Anyone else or any idea why this is happening?
Advert
Old Today, 09:09 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Over the years I've experienced that or similar missed button presses many times in a range of devices.

I've found the Libra Colour has been far better in this regard though

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:28 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I don't have this problem with my Libra 2, but it happens occasionally on my Sage.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:46 AM   #5
foosion
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Over the years I've experienced that or similar missed button presses many times in a range of devices.
I can understand a device not recognizing a button press; it's turning two pages forward on the next button press that seems odd to me.
Advert
Old Today, 11:08 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
I can understand a device not recognizing a button press; it's turning two pages forward on the next button press that seems odd to me.
Seems to be the usual lazy quality control from Kobo. It happens with my Sage, but has never happened with any Kindle I've had (tbh, it also never happened with either my Libra 1 or Libra 2).
Old Today, 12:32 PM   #7
foosion
Groupie

Sounds as if it's not unheard of and that there's nothing to do about it.

Old Today, 04:14 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
No, that happens on Sage, and less often on the Libra2 and not at all on the original Libra. Something to do with over-aggressive "sleep".
Unlike all non-eink systems, an eink ereader achieves long battery run time by sleeping as the page is bistable. The page will display practically forever if disconnected or battery suddenly unplugged.

Maybe a future firmware will fix it. I kept my old Libra for audio narration as it has 100% reliable page turning. My Libra 2 and Sage do not have reliable page turns.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:17 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Seems to be the usual lazy quality control from Kobo. It happens with my Sage, but has never happened with any Kindle I've had (tbh, it also never happened with either my Libra 1 or Libra 2).
Most of the Kindles with page turn are very old. Only the Oasis 3 is current?

I did have an Oasis 2 for a while, but forget if the page turn was reliable. The Kindles have loads of other issues.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:18 PM   #10
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
This was at a chapter boundary.
How long are the chapters? This happens to me when a book is poorly formatted into giant sections that are hundreds of screens long. If the next "chapter" is huge, then turning the page takes a very long time, and it may appear as if the page turn was not registered, but in fact the Libra is just struggling to load the next massive XHTML file.

In this case, the solution is to edit the book to break it into smaller files.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:33 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Most of the Kindles with page turn are very old. Only the Oasis 3 is current?

I did have an Oasis 2 for a while, but forget if the page turn was reliable. The Kindles have loads of other issues.
The Oasis 3 has been discontinued. It was released in 2019. Before that, I had the Oasis 2 (2017), Oasis 1 (2016), Voyage (2014) and older nontouch Kindles. No button issues with any of them that I can recall.

Kindles have their own issues, true, and I no longer use them (because I like the Kobo UI better), but at least when I still used them (more than 3 years ago now), they tended to have fewer bugs than Kobos. That may have changed by now, no idea. My Libra 1 (2019) was also relatively bug-free, but the Sage and the Libra 2 certainly are not. I do love my Kobos, but Kobo quality control sure has very little to recommend it.