Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-02-2024, 12:49 PM   #1
inl1ner
inl1ner began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
How can calibre-parallel be terminated?

I start Calibre with a script (Windows Powershell) and after exiting Calibre, I check whether there is an update of Calibre is available. I use “WaitForExit” for this, but this does not work works because calibre-parallel is still active. How can I close calibre-parallel with “Windows Powershell”?
inl1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 02:42 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by inl1ner View Post
I start Calibre with a script (Windows Powershell) and after exiting Calibre, I check whether there is an update of Calibre is available. I use “WaitForExit” for this, but this does not work works because calibre-parallel is still active. How can I close calibre-parallel with “Windows Powershell”?
That is one heck of a convoluted way to run calibre. It's a lot easier to run it from the icon and if calibre shows there's a new version then there's a new version but not until then.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-03-2024 at 06:24 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2024, 05:59 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is one heck of a convoluted way to run calibre. It's a lot easier to run it from the icon and if calibre shows there's a new version the there's a new version but not until then.
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

Quote:
But if you really think calibre can't be trusted to look for a new version of itself, try this ==>> PowerShell — Stop-Process (kill)

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 12:11 PM   #4
inl1ner
inl1ner began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
My problem is that Calibre requires a reboot after an update and it is not possible to continue working with Calibre without rebooting. However, since a backup may be running on the computer at the same time, which sometimes takes 8 hours, I always delay updates of Calibre for longer and longer.
inl1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 02:08 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My problem is that Calibre requires a reboot after an update and it is not possible to continue working with Calibre without rebooting. However, since a backup may be running on the computer at the same time, which sometimes takes 8 hours, I always delay updates of Calibre for longer and longer.
What you do is you run calibre from the icon. If there is an update, calibre will tell you there is one. So you go download it and you close calibre. Then you install the update. No need to reboot.
Advert
Old 06-03-2024, 07:22 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
You've done something weird to Windows.

I have never needed to reboot Windows after a calibre install or update… and I've done it hundreds of times; nor have I needed reboot after the couple of dozen MacOS or Linux installs I've done for other people.

And I suspect that's true of the vast majority of the 2.7 million active calibre users.

On Windows, the only software (apart from itself) that might require a reboot after an update are shell extensions such as File Menu Tools, Link Shell Extension etc… but they don't leave you stranded, you run the old version until you do the reboot.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 10:55 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
On several occasions when I have installed calibre with calibre open, the installer required a reboot to replace files in use. My work flow is to finish what I am doing with calibre and then download the installer/source, do the install, copy the source files into place and then start calibre.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 11:47 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔
Do not have any part of the Calibre family running when launching the installer.
.Net is another thing that gets used by multiple apps, that can caus a Needed reboot. Best to not have any aps running when doing updates for the best chances. BTW a pending (reboot required) Windows update can cause odd things. Get that out of the way BEFORE...
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 05:17 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔
Do not have any part of the Calibre family running when launching the installer.
.Net is another thing that gets used by multiple apps, that can caus a Needed reboot. Best to not have any aps running when doing updates for the best chances. BTW a pending (reboot required) Windows update can cause odd things. Get that out of the way BEFORE...
I don't have any problem installing calibre with other apps running. As long as calibre is not running, it updates no problem. All I need to do is close the main GUI windows and when that's gone, I can then perform the update.