Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2023, 05:30 PM   #1
Mars95
Mars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheese

Device: AuraE2, Poke 3, PW5, Libra 2
PW5 bootloop

Hi. So today i exited KOReader for a moment to connect to a new Wifi. When I tried to open KUAL again, I was met with a blank screen. I held the power button and pressed restart. Now it's stuck in loop, showing the kindle logo, boy and tree for a few seconds and then restarting. It's been going all day, I'm currently waiting for it to drain completely and see if it helps.. Is this fixable or am I shit out of luck?
Mars95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 08:41 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
If your computer doesn't detect that Kindle as a removable drive when you connect it via USB cable then you are definitely out of luck. Since PW5 doesn't even have serial port connection pads on its motherboard there is no known method of de-bricking a Kindle PW5.

That was the case with my first PW5 when it bootlooped: both Windows and Linux PCs didn't detect the USB device even for a second

And because of couple of reports here on Mobileread of PW5 getting stuck while running KOReader in standby / sleep mode and bootlooping after forced reboot on my second PW5 I'm being extra paranoid and I always exit out of KOReader when I've finished reading.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2023, 05:36 PM   #3
Mars95
Mars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheese

Thank you, thats what I thought :P Oh well.
Old 08-18-2023, 03:36 PM   #4
Bitter Almonds
Bitter Almonds began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kindle 4 & 10, Paperwhite 4, Oasis 1 & 3, Nook Glowlight+
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars95 View Post
Thank you, thats what I thought :P Oh well.
It isn't just the Paperwhite 5 and it isn't just KOReader. I have a Kindle Oasis 3 that got stuck on a boot loop with no KOReader and it is essentially e-waste at that point. The only thing you can do now is return it to Amazon for a $20 Amazon gift card and a 20% off a new Kindle device.
Bitter Almonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:47 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My suggestion is to never jailbreak a PW5.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2023, 11:40 AM   #6
Mars95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter Almonds View Post
It isn't just the Paperwhite 5 and it isn't just KOReader. I have a Kindle Oasis 3 that got stuck on a boot loop with no KOReader and it is essentially e-waste at that point. The only thing you can do now is return it to Amazon for a $20 Amazon gift card and a 20% off a new Kindle device.

Yeah I've seen plenty of people with bootlooping devices, also non jailbreaked. They really should make it easier to do a proper clean restore when the software fails. Mine was still under warranty so they replaced it.

Last edited by Mars95; 08-19-2023 at 11:42 AM. Reason: forgot