Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2024, 04:20 PM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Folders on Kobo?

I am thinking about buying a Kobo Clara Color. I have used Kindle and Pocketbook and Apple exclusively so I got an online manual. I was trying to find an easy way to move about thirty different comic book titles (cbz) that have anywhere from ten to 200 issues of each title. In a Kindle I can make collections which is a pain so I mostly use the iPad for reading inside and the Pocketbook for reading in the sun.Each has its own copy of the complete collection. On the iPad I use the Panels app which is quite easy to move a folder of a title to the iPad in one WiFi step. The pocketbook allows you to quickly transfer folders filled with comics to either memory or card.

But the Kobo? All I can see is using Dropbox that I freaking hate (long story) or a usb cable to my computer an iMac. But here is my worry. The manual says all books move simply appear as My Books in a grid that I guess could sorted by author or date or title. But no I want folders. And what I would really like would be to transfer every folder on the computer one drop or movement at a time. I gotta be missing something. This has gotta be easy in a Kobo? But I do not see this as easy? It is easy then I buy a Kobo. If not easy I shrug my shoulders and wait for Amazon to do their color screen. Lol. So any advice?. Thanks!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 04:39 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Kobo uses metadata to sort your library. If you want a folder-based layout that uses filenames, you'd need to install KOReader.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2024, 04:46 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo also has collections or shelves. A book can belong to multiple shelves / collections. This does NOT change their storage location on the device, rather it's a logical view of the books on your devices.

Many people use calibre to manage their content on the Kobo, and this includes the creation / management of shelves / collections.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 11:35 AM   #4
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Regarding KOReader: How difficult is it to use? If it is something like choosing folders from your computer and then it trasfers the books, ok. On the other hand if it is something that has a complicated line-based interface or you have to do files one by one, probably not. Than ks for suggesting and let me know if you can the details.
Old 06-28-2024, 11:40 AM   #5
Neil
Addict

On the Kobo shelves: Does it work like collections on the Kindle in that you first load the books but then you have to name a collection then one by one verify which ebook goes into that collection? I have almost a thousand comics. I do NOT wish to have to click on each one to move them about. That's why they now are used mostly on my iPads in Panels.app. Or on the otherwise funky Pocketbook as all needed is to set up titled folders and then drop of Wifi all folder specific file in one swoop. Thank for the replying!
Advert
Old 06-28-2024, 01:00 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I take it that you are going anti-calibre route

Because Kobo Utilities-extended edition does all the heavy configuration.
You just set that, the send books
The Kobo device driver (also configured) takes care of Series (no side steps like needed for a Kindle).
I believe Shelves was renamed Collections. (I don't use) You can configure that to use a variety of ways. Some use a Custom (tags-like) column in calibre as that source.
Do Note: You must do a Second connection for these to take place (all you need to do is wait for the jobs spinner to stop). Kobo absorbs the book into its DB on the first disconnect (do wait for 'Processing' to complete), Now there is a place to log those collections and series to upon the second.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 02:49 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Calibre is the easiest way to create collections on a Kobo - no manual work involved, it's fully automatic. Of course if you've never used Calibre before, then you'll have to do manual work anyway, to set your books up in Calibre first.

Without using Calibre collections must be created manually on a Kobo. I've no idea how KOReader behaves, sorry.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 03:09 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nickel does not support DIRECTORIES. KOReader does support DIRECTORIES.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 04:13 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nickel does not support DIRECTORIES. KOReader does support DIRECTORIES.
Actually Nickel still sees the books even if folders/directories are used. "does not support" implies you can't have arbitrary directories, but you can.

For years now most people have been calling OS Filesystem directories, folders, so it's a synonym.

However using author, title, subtitle, series and collection metadata and ability to filter/sort view by read/finished, reading, unread, or recent/title/etc and more and quick search of the native reader seriously beats KOReader's 1970s style browse directories. KOReader can search Calibre metadata, but that's slow and awkward compared to native GUI.

KOReader is fine if you've loads of sort of broken ebooks, or need to adjust "paper" / "ink" on PDFs (native PDF reader now have per document crop), read unsupported formats. But I prefer to fixe epubs i9n Calibre and convert any ebook format to epub.
I use ImageMagick or K2PDFOPT ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=144711 ) to fix bad PDF scans, or read them on my tablet.

So, yes all Kobos do support folders/directories, but you don't need it. There is no native file browser because you'd never ever need it. KOReader is easy to install (no jailbreak needed) and its main interface is a file browser. You can use both systems. KOReader has no Library/metadata interface, so with 8000 ebooks, the library "My Books" is faster with native reader. Both have search, but the KO Reader search is only using a Calibre file. The native search is faster and works for books not added by Calibre.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #10
Neil
Addict

OK, thanks all. It apparently would require a lot more effort and learning then I want to put into this to set up a new color Kobo with my 800-1000 issues in my many-titles comic library. I do have Calibre and I do use it a lot -- but simply because the DRM removal features allow me to buy my books and to actually use them on multiple platforms. For that I have sent the author voluntary payments every year and it is worth it. I am happy Calibre exists! But, I find the Calibre user interface to be turgid, confusing, overdone and annoyingly long, long past the point where it is anything that I feel comfortable using beyond the most basic of tasks (DRM plugin). KOReader sounds even relatively worse to me.

Last question, I guess: What would be the way to load in and to format such a library onto the Kobo using ONLY the Kobo's own built-in interface? What would be the steps involved? Again, thank you to all who have participated in tnis discussion and I much appreciate the help!
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #11
hatuluang
Connoisseur
hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Last question, I guess: What would be the way to load in and to format such a library onto the Kobo using ONLY the Kobo's own built-in interface? What would be the steps involved? Again, thank you to all who have participated in tnis discussion and I much appreciate the help!
Arrange your folders and drag and drop them to the Kobo main directory using a USB cable, or use send.djazz.se, and Dropbox to sideload the book online.

I use Calibre to organize my books (title, author, series, and collections/tags) and sideload them to my Clara 2E. I use Calibre to send the PDFs and comic books (CBZ) wirelessly to KOReader.

Last edited by hatuluang; Yesterday at 12:37 PM.
hatuluang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #12
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
All you do is copy/paste your books onto the Kobo and eject it. Nickel will process your books automatically. If your books have good metadata, everything just works. If your books don't have good metadata, then you get nonsensical results and have to edit them in Calibre or Sigil.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote