Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old Today, 07:00 AM   #1
Dark Lord Bob
Dark Lord Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Go Color 7
KOreader file explorer unusably slow on Boox

Hello,

I have just purchased an Onyx Boox Go Color 7, and installed KOreader on it via F-droid. I immediately duplicated the library that existed on my Kobo Clara HD (by selecting and delivering all of the books through Calibre) onto the microSD card I have plugged into the Boox. However, when I try to open, for example, my "Non-fiction" folder (2000+ books) the app freezes for 10+ minutes before entering the folder, and this doesn't seem to be a one time phenomena.

I'm mostly confused because the same set of books and directory structure functions perfectly well on my Kobo, which is less powerful. The less files within a folder the faster it seems to load, but it is always slower than it would be on my older Kobo.

Is there some background indexing process, such that these speed issues would be sorted if I left it open on my desk for a week? Or should I add the books in batches of <100, rather than all at once?

Any advice would be helpful.

Edit:
Once I've navigated to the books, actually reading them is fine, it's just the file explorer that is unusually slow.

Last edited by Dark Lord Bob; Today at 07:03 AM.
Dark Lord Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:00 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Welcome to android, YMMV !

Can you reproduce if you copy your "Non-fiction" folder into the internal partition?

Sdcard support is there because it seems to work, read only, on most devices. But it isn't granted, as there's no way for users to grant filesystem permissions there.

What *some* devices with sdcard offer is a way to format the sdcard as the internal partition. That's better from KOReader pov, as we can request filesystem permissions there.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 09:06 AM   #3
Dark Lord Bob
Dark Lord Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Go Color 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Welcome to android, YMMV !

Can you reproduce if you copy your "Non-fiction" folder into the internal partition?

Sdcard support is there because it seems to work, read only, on most devices. But it isn't granted, as there's no way for users to grant filesystem permissions there.

What *some* devices with sdcard offer is a way to format the sdcard as the internal partition. That's better from KOReader pov, as we can request filesystem permissions there.
Thanks for the response! I'll try that and get back to you tomorrow.

I should clarify that the issue is popping up in all cases. It's just less of a problem in, for example "Fanfiction", as I've got subsidiary folders there (for individual fandoms), rather than a mass of files. Some of the individual fandom folders load slowly, though. "Non-fiction" is just the most problematic as it's lots of files without subfolders.
Dark Lord Bob is offline   Reply With Quote