Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2024, 11:34 AM   #1
jaydee34983
jaydee34983 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
Kobo Libra Colour - customizations?

Hope someone has the patience to help out a newcomer

I've had the same Kindle PW gen3 for about 7 years and was considering Kobo for about a year before finally pulling the trigger when the Kobo Libra Colour was announced.

First thing I did was export my Kindle books to epub via Calibre and import them to the Kobo, which I did successfully.

Now, I'm interested in some customizations, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the threads, so I'm hoping someone can simplify it for me. I don't mind playing around, figuring things out for myself, but I don't want to do anything that might brick my new $240 (after tax) toy...

Do all the threads about KoboPatch, NickelMenu, KOReader in the past, all apply to the new Libra Colour or is the Colour too new for now?

Example:
- From this thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...er#post4334872), if I want some items from libnickel.so.1.0.0, can I do that with the my new device?
jaydee34983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 11:56 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I think the patches for the newest firmware aren't out yet.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2024, 05:01 PM   #3
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Definitely wait on those patches. Kobo changed a few things with the 4.39.x update, and there’s apparently a 5.0 firmware on the near horizon with changes to the firmware update procedure. Look for posts by geek1011 for the latest on the patches.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 02:42 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Definitely wait on those patches. Kobo changed a few things with the 4.39.x update, and there’s apparently a 5.0 firmware on the near horizon with changes to the firmware update procedure. Look for posts by geek1011 for the latest on the patches.
We don't know what's going on with v5 just yet. So it may be a while before things are sorted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 04:46 PM   #5
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Sorry ahead of time for shallowness... So does "wait for those patches" mean also wait to install NickelMenu?
Thanks
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2024, 04:56 PM   #6
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Too many) Kobo(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
Sorry ahead of time for shallowness... So does "wait for those patches" mean also wait to install NickelMenu?
Thanks
NickelMenu can be safely installed on the new Kobo devices.
Same for NickelSeries and NickelClock (although there are some conflicting reports on NickelClock and unwanted flashing on the clock/battery update. Nothing major, but it's worth to point them out)
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 01:00 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
At this point, with the last fw, my main problem has been with the font change (Avenir disappearing) and kEPub Hyphenation. Other patches I'm interested in are working (I've gotten the last existing patches). And both nickelmenu and nickelclock are wanting, although there is a small flashing in the clock zone (I thought it had disappeared with the last firmware but no).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 07:05 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee34983 View Post

Now, I'm interested in some customizations, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the threads, so I'm hoping someone can simplify it for me. I don't mind playing around, figuring things out for myself, but I don't want to do anything that might brick my new $240 (after tax) toy...
Loads of people never patch their Kobo. There are some customisations in the easily edited conf text file.

I used a Kindle for years and then switched to a Kobo Aura H2O, then Libra, Elipsa and Sage. I briefly had KOreader on the Elipsa till the PDF viewer added crop (now per document), but other than that have found no need to patch or add the menu (gone now from Elipsa).

So wait and see. I think if you use kepub and epub at the same time (I only use epub), you'd want the font size fix as the two systems otherwise have a different default font size.

For example, the battery & time is only a tap away...
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:35 AM   #9
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E; Kobo Clara BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
At this point, with the last fw, my main problem has been with the font change (Avenir disappearing) and kEPub Hyphenation. Other patches I'm interested in are working (I've gotten the last existing patches). And both nickelmenu and nickelclock are wanting, although there is a small flashing in the clock zone (I thought it had disappeared with the last firmware but no).
I restored Avenir (and Gill Sans) to the Clara BW on 4.39.22861. Patches for this FW are not ready yet, but I ran the previous FW patch file with no patches enabled, but adding the missing fonts in the file section of kobopatch.yaml. See example here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=63

It worked perfectly, and I have those two fonts on the BW.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 04:25 PM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
I restored Avenir (and Gill Sans) to the Clara BW on 4.39.22861. Patches for this FW are not ready yet, but I ran the previous FW patch file with no patches enabled, but adding the missing fonts in the file section of kobopatch.yaml. See example here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=63

It worked perfectly, and I have those two fonts on the BW.
Sorry, I've explained myself wrong. My issue is not that I'm pinning for Avenir font, but patches for fonts are related to Avenir name, so they don't work (I replace Avenir with the Charys).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote