Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-05-2014, 06:31 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
How to redownlod the dictionaries shipped with Kindle from a new Amazon account?

Situation: Amazon locked me out of my original Kindle account. I gave them only a name, email and password, no phone or credit card; and the "secure" login page (btw. I know my password) asks me about last digits of phone numbers or zip codes of credit card billing addresses I have never gave them. Really clever security Amazon, really clever.

Customer service chat told me I should register for a new account. So I did.

On the old account (in the cloud) there was a full library of dictionaries (and user guides) for me to download.

Amazon has also changed the interface of the "Managing your Kindle or Devices" part of the webpage, however the bottom line is it is completely empty for me now, it says I have a registered Kindle but nowhere are my dictionaries. How to redownload them?
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
The easiest way is to reset the device to factory defaults, it will download all the original software.

I am curious how this works if your serial number is associated with the closed account, will Amazon free it up for you to use on your new account?
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
On the new Manage Your Content page, the 'Show:' option has a 'Dictionaries and User Guides' choice. That's where you'll find all the dictionaries.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:15 AM   #4
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
On the new Manage Your Content page, the 'Show:' option has a 'Dictionaries and User Guides' choice. That's where you'll find all the dictionaries.
Thanks; are they supposed to show up if I do not have a Kindle device; only a Kindle app for a mobile device or Kindle Cloud Reader?
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:38 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
Thanks; are they supposed to show up if I do not have a Kindle device; only a Kindle app for a mobile device or Kindle Cloud Reader?
I don't think so. Amazon adds them to your account when you add a Kindle to your account.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2014, 01:58 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
If you have a iOS Kindle app, you can force the dictionary download by looking up a word and tapping English (US) in the lower left corner of the dictionary window. This will open the dictionary list dialog box, from which you can select the dictionary that you want to download.

You can also use the same method with the stand-alone Kindle for PC app (not the Windows 8 version).
Look up a word, click the cogwheel icon in the dictionary window and select the dictionary that you want to download.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote