Notices

Old 07-30-2016, 07:03 AM   #1
asgeirtj
asgeirtj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Update firmware manually

How do I use these to update?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...499.1458761862

These are just endless rar files and if I put them on my kindle I don't get an option to update the kindle. I know how to use .bin files to update but I don't get how to use these?
asgeirtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:18 AM   #2
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
Rar and tar.gz may be handled by 7zip. There's also unrar available somewhere. Anyhow these are source releases which require compilation and firmware building + signing before you can use them.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #3
asgeirtj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourcat View Post
Rar and tar.gz may be handled by 7zip. There's also unrar available somewhere. Anyhow these are source releases which require compilation and firmware building + signing before you can use them.
I know how rar works I use winrar to extrackt it. And how do compile and build firmware and sign it?
Old 07-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by asgeirtj View Post

These are just endless rar files and if I put them on my kindle I don't get an option to update the kindle. I know how to use .bin files to update but I don't get how to use these?
You're on the wrong page.

Those are the raw source code files, not code you can use to update your Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

Those are not update files.

Go here and look to the left of the screen:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201994710

You need - of course! - to know what Kindle you're updating.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
adriaja
adriaja began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle: Oasis and Voyage
Deleted
adriaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
I assume you skipped the idea to use these files to build your custom firmware and are using now the firmware provided by Amazon.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:24 PM   #8
asgeirtj

The reason I was using this link is because it was referenced in this guide:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-jailbre...ium=socialflow

But now I've got a new problem, I've got the newest version of the kindle firmware for the Kindle Voyage and I can't downgrade it, if I reset the device it still has the newest software, any ideas?
Old 07-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

But now I've got a new problem, I've got the newest version of the kindle firmware for the Kindle Voyage and I can't downgrade it, if I reset the device it still has the newest software, any ideas?
Go here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877
Step 3 in post #1. That will downgrade you.
Now if you are jailbroke all you need to do is reinstall the hotfix and any hacks you added. No need to downgrade.
Same post I just linked.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:24 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy

The instructions at life hacker are an abstract of the full, current, instructions (which Cinisajoy just gave you the link to).
Try the "real thing" instead of the off-site abstract.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote