Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Copy and paste

I want to copy and paste all the books on the Kobo to a folder on Windows.

I'll sort it out there. The Glo is too slow to do anything with.

Problem is that Calibre says I have 185 books and Kobo twice that. Since the counts don't match, something's missing from somewhere.

I tried exporting to a folder, made up a name for the folder I didn't even have on the computer (a rarely used obscenity) and was told the folder was in use!
Edited the whole path every which way and Calibre still said the same.

How do you get everything transferred in one fell swoop?

I'm getting ready to give Kobo the gate and delete my account.

Thanks
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Why are you asking a Kobo device specific question in Calibre (Since you say Kobo and Calibre fail to agree)?

I can move your thread (Please don't duplicate this topic elsewhere)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, for the book count, both are probably correct. If you are looking at the calibre library view when the device is connected, any books on the device that are in the library will be shown. But, book on the device that are not in the library will not be show. You need to change to the device view. In that view, all the books in the main memory of the device will be shown with an indication of whether they match books in the library. If you have an SD card in the device, there is a separate view for it. Again, it will show which books on the card are also in the calibre library.

For the "export", I assume you are using "Save to disk" in calibre. This allows you to select a destination folder, but the file name is built using a template. This is defined in the "Saving books to disk" page of the calibre preferences. What is probably happening is that the template is not producing a unique name. The first book gets saved and a later book gets the error. You will need to look at the template to work out what is wrong. A copy-and-paste of books from calibre will use the same template.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

adding to Davids tip

In DEVICE VIEW
Search inlibrary:false

Select all (ctrl-A ): right click: Add to Library
Old 05-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
adding to Davids tip

In DEVICE VIEW
Search inlibrary:false

Select all (ctrl-A ): right click: Add to Library
As this is a Kobo device, that won't copy downloaded kepubs to the calibre library. There are a few issues with doing this that make it problematic. Other formats, including sideloaded kepubs, should be OK.
Advert
Old 05-02-2016, 12:42 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As this is a Kobo device, that won't copy downloaded kepubs to the calibre library. There are a few issues with doing this that make it problematic. Other formats, including sideloaded kepubs, should be OK.
Good point.
There are always device specific exceptions to a General use rule.
Kobo is not the only device that has protected portions of the devices bookshelf
Old 05-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got caught with the last update. The stupid reader would do nothing until I installed 3.19 whatever.

Where Kobo is torquing me off - I can't make it search for a specific book in the book list on the Glo.

I just ran into that nonsense with the Kepub and download, and want to check in the book list to see if book is there. Can't just check author, then letter b. I don't expect Calibre to deal with that. But is is annoying. It's also SLOOOW.

I got a list of everything on the main and card using windows. I can print out the list and check in Calibre one by one to see if books are physically in the memory.
Get the books that aren't in EPUB into EPUB, and put the file where Kobo can't find it.
Right now Kobo desktop is disabled. When I make sure I have all the books, I'll delete it, and delete account. Wifi disabled.

2 questions with Calibre - how do you get a print command to print the list of books?
That would be handy.

How do you edit the icons on the main page if Calibre? All the ones I want are on the 2nd row and that row doesn't stay open. I also don't maximize the screen, so have to try to mouse over the icon every time.
I'd love to remove reading list, share and a few other things that I never use.

I'm looking at the old Acer and an early version of FBReader - just the file tree which can be sorted by author, date, title. No marking things read or not, no other dumb tracking of pages read. Just files. The tablet is too big, and I don't like the reflective screen but I think I want to go back to Android. Not having Google would be a plus. You can use Amazon app store or Appmarket. I had a Coby that didn't have Google anything and it would work just fine for books.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
Alpha o
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly, for the book count, both are probably correct. If you are looking at the calibre library view when the device is connected, any books on the device that are in the library will be shown. But, book on the device that are not in the library will not be show. You need to change to the device view. In that view, all the books in the main memory of the device will be shown with an indication of whether they match books in the library. If you have an SD card in the device, there is a separate view for it. Again, it will show which books on the card are also in the calibre library.

For the "export", I assume you are using "Save to disk" in calibre. This allows you to select a destination folder, but the file name is built using a template. This is defined in the "Saving books to disk" page of the calibre preferences. What is probably happening is that the template is not producing a unique name. The first book gets saved and a later book gets the error. You will need to look at the template to work out what is wrong. A copy-and-paste of books from calibre will use the same template.
A new folder named with a very rarely used obscenity should be hard to duplicate without knowing about it. It was mostly the rest with 7. I wanted the folder on the desktop, but 7 keeps 2 versions of everything and wouldn't put the folder there the way it was named. Finally got it.

I don't usually use export. I send to the card on the reader, then read the card elsewhere.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
Alpha o
Addict

I also need an easier way to convert the kepubs. I read what was posted, searched but all the articles didn't make any sense and some of it was also older - things have been updated since. The books I bought before the last update to the Glo seem to be on the ereader.

They say EPUB in Calibre, not "I'm reading" which is the way the newer ones came it. I'll have to double check those somehow in Calibre. If you can open the book in Calibre's reader, then it is in the memory as a book and not a digital link?

Fortunately, I don't have too many.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Alpha o - I can't answer Kobo related questions, but...

Use Preferences->Toolbars to add/remove/re-order icons/features on the toolbars

Use the Create Catalogue tool, or the calibredb list command to create a CSV list of books. View via a spreadsheet program such as MS Office Excel or Libre Office Calc. If you don't have/want either of those you could try this CSVFileView.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #11
Alpha o
Addict

Thanks. I was convinced it worked left to right.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
Thanks. I was convinced it worked left to right.
It works all ways

adds
removes
and reorders

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
A new folder named with a very rarely used obscenity should be hard to duplicate without knowing about it. It was mostly the rest with 7. I wanted the folder on the desktop, but 7 keeps 2 versions of everything and wouldn't put the folder there the way it was named. Finally got it.

I don't usually use export. I send to the card on the reader, then read the card elsewhere.
You missed what I was saying. The new folder is the destination for the books you are exporting. Copies of the books are put into that folder or subfolders. The names of the books and/or subfolders generated using a template. This template is defined on the "Saving books to disk" page of the preferences. It is possible that you have changed the template so that it generates the same file name for all books. Or at least not a unique name for all books. That means if you export two books at the same time, one of the later books gets the same name as an earlier book and hence you get the duplicate file error.

As an example of this, someone reported a problem where they would only see the last book in a series on their Kobo device. When we investigated, the save template was set to something like:
Code:
{author_sort}/{authors} - {series}
With that, each time a book in a series book was sent to the device, it replaced the one that was already there because the template generated the same file name.

The template for save to disk, or export as you are calling it, works in the same way. It generates the file name within the destination directory.

If you can't see what is happening, what is shown in the details of the error? Pressing the details button on the error shows the full message. You can copy this and post it so that we can see what is happening. Though maybe you will want to choose a different directory name when you do this.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I also need an easier way to convert the kepubs. I read what was posted, searched but all the articles didn't make any sense and some of it was also older - things have been updated since. The books I bought before the last update to the Glo seem to be on the ereader.
The best thing to do is download the books directly from your library on the Kobo site. This will download the epub version either directly to you computer (for non-DRM) or using ADE (for DRM). Then you add these books to your library.

The next best choice is to use the Obok plugin to fetch the kepubs. It can read them from where the Kobo desktop application stores them, or from the device. When it does this, the books are added as epubs. You can use the Modify ePub plugin to cleanup the kepub extras. The Obok plugin is included in Aprentice Alf's tools.
Quote:
They say EPUB in Calibre, not "I'm reading" which is the way the newer ones came it.
I'm not sure what you mean here. The only place I can think of to see "I'm reading" is as a collection in the device view when the Kobo device is connected. This is a pseudo-collection for all books on the device that are in the "Reading" state. These will show a percent read in the library list and be shown if you select "Reading" in the filter. This could be any type of book, but, sometime kepubs get downloadloaded and marked as 1%.
Quote:
I'll have to double check those somehow in Calibre. If you can open the book in Calibre's reader, then it is in the memory as a book and not a digital link?
If you try to add a kepub to the calibre library from the device list, you will get a message calling it a "virtual book". It isn't strictly virtual but that is a common message. In this case it means that calibre doesn't know how to add that book to the library. When this was first done, calibre had no support for kepubs. There is some support now through plugins, but I haven't changed this in the driver as there are still issues with this. DRM is the major one. As a rule, if you can open the book from the device list, you can add it to the calibre library. But, that will almost definitely mean it was sideloaded and not a book downloaded from Kobo. The better marker for this is that the filename for downloaded kepubs is the file name. When you select one in the device list, the directory will include ".kobo/kepub" and the filename will be random letters and numbers and it won't have an extension.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:30 AM   #15
Alpha o
Addict

I did download from the library. The books came in as "I'm Reading" digital only.

I have a list of the books on the Glo in Calibre. If you click on a book, on the main screen it shows the cover of the book, then the formats. Some of the older books that Kobo is now claiming are digital only, did download as EPUB and I can open them with the Calibre reader.

Therefor, I'm asking that if I check a book that says it's Epub and it opens, that it is on the reader as a digitized book and not vaporware that came from Kobo. A lot of the books that Kobo has in the library are claiming to be kepub, but I already have them as Epub.

This only started happening this month. The prior downloads worked as they should have.
I normally don't buy many books from Kobo, Amazon has a far larger choice.

Some of the books that came in as "I'm reading", I had downloaded from Smashwords, not Kobo, so Kobo should mind its own business.

Maybe that's why things aren't showing up right. Kobo pi**ed me off with those "recommendations" that I deleted the whole file. The reader wouldn't let me delete the books!

I'm one of the people who don't really shop until I know exactly what I want beforehand. I read, pester fora, question anyone who knows. Then I'll buy. Trying to get me to buy something else doesn't work. I buy books that I'm interested in - like the Mars Rovers. If that confuses Kobo, too damn bad.

Being a Tony Hillerman fan - for the area of the SW, I bought one of his daughter's books. I could not get that into Calibre with any extension but "I'm Reading"

Finally trialled a converter (which I don't want) and it did put them in Calibre as epub.

I'll see if reinstalling Kobo desktop from scratch shows them, and if syncing the reader picks those "recommendations" up. If Kobo is including purchased books in with the recommended books, that isn't fair. You paid for one, and are not interested in the others.