Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2022, 08:26 PM   #1
uels
uels can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uels can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uels can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uels can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uels can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uels can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uels can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uels can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uels can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uels can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uels can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle PW4
Kindle PW4 ghost touch issue.

I searched all over the internet for a solution and unfortunately no solution.

As soon as my Kindle turned 2 years old last month, sometimes the device turned pages once in a while, at first I thought it was because of dirt on the screen.
But as the days went by this ghost touch became more frequent, making it impossible to read any book, and sometimes the entire screen freezes because it registers too many touches.

From what I've read on the internet this is a common problem with the Paperwhite 4, and no matter how many times I restart or factory reset, the issue always comes back in a few minutes.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is to update the firmware to the latest version, because then I would lose the ability to jailbreak.

So since the ghost touches always occurs at the same point on the screen (bottom-left), does anyone know of a way to disable the touch screen only on this specific area with some jailbreak app or on KOreader?

Amazon Brazil has already replied me that since the 1 year warranty ended, there is nothing else to do other than buy a new device, they offered me a 10% discount on a 2021 Paperwhite which is stupid because I can find it cheaper in other stores.

Anyway I'm probably out of luck but any help is appreciated.
uels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:58 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Have you tried Disable Touchscreen? You will need to use swipe to turn pages, but if it works, it might be less annoying than having the pages turn themselves. But I am guessing it won’t work, and it is some hardware issue (failure in capacitative layer or the sensors which detect changes). And it will only work while using Kindle reading app (not KOReader or navigating the UI).

So since it is jail broken, it seems it would be theoretically possible to hack into the event loop and have it ignore events for that region. I would post in Developer’s forum here to see if someone would have some idea of how to do it.

Because it affects a rectangular region, it seems to be some emergent defect in the capacitative layer, which I think is some semi-liquid thing that’s sprayed on during assembly. Maybe you could temporarily ‘numb’ the region with something cold (or warm?) to see if it temporarily makes the issue go away.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2022, 03:30 PM   #3
tebra
tebra began at the beginning.

Device: NST - Icarus Illumina
I get a similar ghost touch problem on my JB PW4.
Running firmware version 5.11.2
SN G000PPxxx
My device is not registered with Amazon services. Only use KOreader for epub books.
Even without touching the screen the device registers touch input on the bottom part of the screen.
Can be related with this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313862
Any help with this issue ?

Last edited by tebra; 05-30-2022 at 03:34 PM.
tebra is offline   Reply With Quote