Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-26-2024, 04:28 AM   #1
lovedj1
lovedj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Book covers not showing properly in Calibre 7.1.2

Hi.

For several months now, since I formated my PC and then reloaded the calibre library from an external drive (I have it in a folder in my Box account), the book covers, for some reason, don't all show on the navigation panel in the midle (although they do show on the right hand side panel). ANy idea why this is happening and how to sort it out?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Book_Covers_Not-Showing.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	494.0 KB
ID:	209157  
lovedj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 06:11 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
make sure nothing else is accessing the calibre library folder at the same time as calibre. Suspend box syncing while calibre is running.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2024, 06:15 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedj1 View Post
Hi.

For several months now, since I formated my PC and then reloaded the calibre library from an external drive (I have it in a folder in my Box account), the book covers, for some reason, don't all show on the navigation panel in the midle (although they do show on the right hand side panel). ANy idea why this is happening and how to sort it out?

Thanks
You do not want your active library in Box or the Box software to ever touch it. It's eventually going to fail. It's not a matter if if, it's a matter of when. You will eventually find your active library has been screwed. So if you want your library on Box. you'll have to copy it to another directory that Box manages.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 07:40 AM   #4
lovedj1

Thank you Kovid, I will try that. But I have been running both Calibre and my library like this for years and this never happened before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
make sure nothing else is accessing the calibre library folder at the same time as calibre. Suspend box syncing while calibre is running.
Old 06-26-2024, 07:42 AM   #5
lovedj1

Thnks, JSWolf, but I have had my library in Box for years and never had any issues with it. In fact, if I remember correctly, I think it may have been in this very forum where I read the idea the first time and tried it. And it has many advantages, like the fact that I can send books to my kindle from my phone and from anywhere in the world without need of a (my) PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You do not want your active library in Box or the Box software to ever touch it. It's eventually going to fail. It's not a matter if if, it's a matter of when. You will eventually find your active library has been screwed. So if you want your library on Box. you'll have to copy it to another directory that Box manages.
Advert
Old 06-26-2024, 09:59 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thnks, JSWolf, but I have had my library in Box for years and never had any issues with it. In fact, if I remember correctly, I think it may have been in this very forum where I read the idea the first time and tried it. And it has many advantages, like the fact that I can send books to my kindle from my phone and from anywhere in the world without need of a (my) PC.
But Box can change how there software functions without letting you know and that could cause any number of problems.

Setup the Box software to sync from a specific directory. Then after you close calibre, you can to a one-way sync using FreeFileSync to the Box directory and then that will sync to Box and you will have your library on Box and you won't have to worry about your active library getting corrupt.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 09:59 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Q is not IF, but WHEN it will corrupt.
You found when.

Calibre is a Hybrid of a DB and a file system. The MUST remain in lock step. That is only possible on a Local (attached to the PC) disc
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 03:05 PM   #8
lovedj1

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But Box can change how there software functions without letting you know and that could cause any number of problems.

Setup the Box software to sync from a specific directory. Then after you close calibre, you can to a one-way sync using FreeFileSync to the Box directory and then that will sync to Box and you will have your library on Box and you won't have to worry about your active library getting corrupt.
Old 06-26-2024, 03:09 PM   #9
lovedj1

Thanks for the reply. I will follow the suggestions above and change my setup. Although, my Calibre library IS locally stored on a drive in my PC. It's just that the folder it is in belongs to the Box Sync folder. But I guess it does function differently to a "normal" internal folder, as I tried logging off Box today to see if that changed the behaviour of Calibre (as suggested by Kovid Goyal above) and what happened was that when I re-launched Calibre, it opened up with an empty library. So I guess that Box folder isn't a normal folder.
Again, thank you all for the suggestions and I will change de setup as suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Q is not IF, but WHEN it will corrupt.
You found when.

Calibre is a Hybrid of a DB and a file system. The MUST remain in lock step. That is only possible on a Local (attached to the PC) disc
Old 06-26-2024, 03:30 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Just pause the sync while Calibre is running AND only mirror, not 2-way
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM   #11
lovedj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Just pause the sync while Calibre is running AND only mirror, not 2-way
I don't know if I'll remember to pause the sync everytime, but I do have it set as only one way. It may be better to just do it manually rather than having it on auto sync, as I don't think I'll remember to pause it. But thanks for the pointer :-)
Old Today, 12:41 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I don't know if I'll remember to pause the sync everytime, but I do have it set as only one way. It may be better to just do it manually rather than having it on auto sync, as I don't think I'll remember to pause it. But thanks for the pointer :-)
For one friend of mine, we wrote a batch file that stops the sync, runs calibre and when calibre exits, restarts the one way sync. It does slow down calibre's startup but pretty much guarantees that sync will be stopped before calibre is opened. For their purposes, we needed to stop Dropbox and found this:
Code:
taskkill  /F /IM dropbox.exe /T
which killed dropbox. After calibre was close, the file ran dropbox.exe.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote