Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Today, 02:26 AM   #1
ReaderMan
ReaderMan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post I got a Kobo Elipsa2e and I hate it. No way to sync highlights on PC or phone...

I am thinking of either returning this Kobo or if that doesnt work, sell it at a loss and then get a Kindle Scribe 1st gen, because apparently it can sync sideloaded ebooks, while the Kobo just doesnt want to. It has Google Drive, but no way to upload your books on it and read them there....
I have a few questions for you guys, and honestly should've posted here first, instead of Reddit, because it seems this forum is more dedicated than the ones on there.

1. First of all, do you have to pay Amazon to sync your sideloaded ebooks on other devices? Or does it just work? I will read mostly mobi and azw books, converting with Calibre via send to device, assuming that works well. Some PDF's but I can just export those with the annotations, it's fine. Except one user told me that the Kindle only syncs epubs and pdfs, but I didn't know that Kindle works with epub, so that's kind of confusing to me. How plug and play is the Kindle sync method? Does it work well?
2. Is there really no way to sync ebooks on the Elipsa? Or at least download them IN book? Not even with Koreader? Is there any way to at least copy the kepub files from the Koreader in a way that some app on the PC or phone may be able to read them WITH the annotations and the highlights(mostly highlights is what interests me, because I need to study for exams and just looking at my highlights helps me A LOT)? Or no?
3. I want to see my annotations and highlights IN BOOK, does the Scribe do that? Because I can download my annotations with Calibre, but they show separately, not naturally, alongside the rest of the book. If I could somehow get Calibre to transfer the book with the annotations, highlights, bookmarks still in there, but readable on the PC, I probably wouldn't need to switch to the Kindle.
4. Are there any down sides to getting a Kindle vs a Kobo apart from the ecosystem, which to me doesn't seem like a drawback anyway?

I'm pretty new with ereaders so don't assume I know a lot of the things you guys know... Some things may be obvious to you, but not to me, obviously, since I thought any ereader has the sync feature...
ReaderMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:48 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sync to what? Amazon only syncs to other Amazon. An app on phone or PC isn't much use really if you are reading on ereader and wanting your annotations for some purpose/

The most useful thing is EXPORT of highlights & annotations, also setting ebook metadata. Kobo does that better than Amazon.

I've had Kobo & Amazon. I've multiple devices I manage with Calibre. I personally find no value in Sync compared to export.

The Scribe is a very walled garden and MTP, so more locked to Amazon than other Kindles. Amazon has a tendency to accidentally delete sideloaded content.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 09:32 AM   #3
ReaderMan
ReaderMan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Sync to what? Amazon only syncs to other Amazon. An app on phone or PC isn't much use really if you are reading on ereader and wanting your annotations for some purpose/

The most useful thing is EXPORT of highlights & annotations, also setting ebook metadata. Kobo does that better than Amazon.

I've had Kobo & Amazon. I've multiple devices I manage with Calibre. I personally find no value in Sync compared to export.

The Scribe is a very walled garden and MTP, so more locked to Amazon than other Kindles. Amazon has a tendency to accidentally delete sideloaded content.
I mean, the fact that you can see your book with highlights on it, means you can can also see the rest of the page, which means it is an amazing learning tool. Having just the extracted highlights without seeing the rest of the page is kind of....useless, at least for learning. Sure, you can ultimately search, like it's 1995, for the words and you get to the same place on the PC, but it just takes far longer. Also the Kindle has an even better export system for the sideloaded content accesed through send to Kindle. I just realized that now, with my old Kindle, never used that feature. On the Kobo you get Koreader without jailbreaking which will be next to impossible on the Scribe, so there are tradeoffs, but let's not pretend that exporting is the same as sync.
I just dont get why there isnt a software that can just do this very job: extract the files WITH the annotations and highlights built in and just work. Or at least one that can mash up the html from the extracted ones and the ebook file and have them work.
Although yes, I agree with you about Kindle products ultimately belonging to Amazon and they could just pull the plug on sideloading content alltogether, because they are Amazon and I don't like being walled in, but lately, with epub working with send to Kindle, it seems they are going in the opossite direction.
ReaderMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:23 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kindle is worse for export.

What are you learning and why is it needed on another app/ereader?

Calibre and Kobo Built in menu option DO export highlight, annotation, position etc. Possible with Kindle to.
Some put it in a Calibre column. Some people copy/paste to a text file.

Sync and export are different. I find zero value in sync and great value with export.

Send To Kindle is very limited and insecure. Limited in format and size. Insecure because Amazon gets a copy forever. It needs the Internet TWICE.

I only use the internet once with ebooks, to save on computer and backup and import to Calibre.
The Kindles & Kobos don't get connected to Internet.
My phones & Tablets only get ebooks via Calibre. Internet usage on them is never ebook related except for local public library (I hardly use it as my TBR pile is huge).
Old Today, 12:25 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I've never ever found highlighting to be a learning tool.
Advert
Old Today, 01:12 PM   #6
Frogm4n
Groupie
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderMan View Post
I am thinking of either returning this Kobo or if that doesnt work, sell it at a loss and then get a Kindle Scribe 1st gen, because apparently it can sync sideloaded ebooks, while the Kobo just doesnt want to.
IIRC, Amazon and Pocketbook are the only two major brands that have a sync system for content that is not bought from their store. Amazon's is through their Whispersync service where you upload your content with Send to Kindle.

Quote:
It has Google Drive, but no way to upload your books on it and read them there....
Kobo has official support for Google Drive to get content onto your ereader, but it does not have a way to sync progress for that content.

Quote:
1. First of all, do you have to pay Amazon to sync your sideloaded ebooks on other devices? Or does it just work?
No fees, generally. There used to be fees for devices that had cellular connectivity but most of those are offline due to the near global 3G shutdowns. Any loading/sync of Personal Documents over WiFi is free.

Quote:
I will read mostly mobi and azw books, converting with Calibre via send to device, assuming that works well.
Skip MOBI. It's ancient and limited and hasn't been needed on a Kindle made in well over a decade. Use AZW3 for direct loading on to the Kindle, and keep EPUB for uploading with Send to Kindle. Note that content you load over USB will not sync progress, only StK uploads.

Quote:
Some PDF's but I can just export those with the annotations, it's fine. Except one user told me that the Kindle only syncs epubs and pdfs, but I didn't know that Kindle works with epub, so that's kind of confusing to me. How plug and play is the Kindle sync method? Does it work well?
There are multiple systems on the Kindle Scribe that you need to keep mentally separate. Send to Kindle is docs like any other Kindle, except fixed format documents can be written on. Those annotations don't sync to non-Scribe Kindles, but you can export your annotated documents via email to get to them outside of Amazon.

Notebooks on the Scribe are completely separate from the rest of the Kindle ecosystem and work completely different than document uploads. Notebooks are freehand writing only, on top of Amazon-provided templates only. There are no structured drawing tools at all, only copy/cut/paste.

Quote:
3. I want to see my annotations and highlights IN BOOK, does the Scribe do that? Because I can download my annotations with Calibre, but they show separately, not naturally, alongside the rest of the book. If I could somehow get Calibre to transfer the book with the annotations, highlights, bookmarks still in there, but readable on the PC, I probably wouldn't need to switch to the Kindle.
The Scribe does highlights and notes on ebooks just like every other Kindle, only adding the ability to make handwritten Sticky Notes in the same place that other Kindles can only do typed.

Quote:
Some things may be obvious to you, but not to me, obviously, since I thought any ereader has the sync feature...
Like I wrote earlier, most brands don't have user-content sync. It's best to approach devices without expectations on what they can do. Only expect features that are clearly specified. Similar to how quite a few people assume any USB-C port could have all sorts of features and functions, yet the base spec is only 5v@3A of power and USB 2.0 data, nothing more. USB 3 speeds, video out, audio out, Thunderbolt, etc. are all optional and up to the device maker to include or not.
Frogm4n is online now   Reply With Quote