Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
woodnboats
Edge User

Move file to root

I need to move the license file for uBook to the root of the android system from the SD card, but none of the file managers I have tried have been able to do it, saying only "operation failed"

Is it not possible to add files to the system card?

Thanks for any help.

Kirk

Old 05-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Filark
Edge User

Hi there!

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, so forgive me if I sound ignorant!

If you can't copy/paste using the ES file manager (or any other) can you send the file from the card using your computer?

Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
woodnboats
Edge User

What I want to do is to add a small text file (the license file for my uBook reader software) at the root of the Android file system. I could not copy it anywhere at the root, or in any of the empty directories until I tried the /tmp folder, where it copied successfully. AHA! Of course! The attributes for that folder are RW, whereas the other folders are R only. And by inference, so is the root, hence the need to root the OS to be able to paste this file there. Answered my own question.

But raised another, not really eDGe related. How come uBook works on my 'Droid phone with the license in the root of the SD card. Since it does, and the uBook forums said to put it into the OS root, I assumed it was in the OS root on my phone. Not so, so there's a confllict there I need to resolve with uBook, and maybe also root my eDGe.

Thanks for your interest. We orphans must stick together.

Back to the drawing board. I've managed to copy a lot of the apps on my 'Droid from the backup file on the SD card to my eDGe via my PC, so I'm playing with them and putting off rooting for another time.

Kirk

Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Filark
Edge User

Good!

I'm glad you figured it out. I am not familiar with uBook, will look it up. Almost tempted to get an Android phone, just so I can get any app I want to try. Not tempted enough to do it, just tempted. I see no need to root, but then I'm only "geek-lite".

Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
woodnboats
Edge User

Suddenly, for no apparent reason, uBook works with the license in the SD card rood. Go figure.

Now to find some way to get one of my paid apps from the Android Market onto my eDGe.

Having lots of fun. Thanks for your interest.

Kirk

Advert