Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #1
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like to keep up with the current version but this time it was a mistake

In Sigil for the code view font I've been using Microsoft's Cascadia Code. Ordinarily I'd use Microsoft's Consolas but I switched to Cascadia Code when I heard about it since it looks even nicer. Today I finally upgraded Sigil from 0.whatever it was to the latest version. Checking the preferences I saw Cascadia Code and decided to see if there's a newer version and there was so I replaced the one I had with the new one.

They've completely changed the curly quotes. They look like regular straight quotes. In the screen grab the "Regular quotes" paragraph is using the straight quotes. If you look very close their curly quotes are slightly thicker at the tops or bottoms but it's much too subtle for my eyes.

It also has ligatures for coding stuff; I recently read an article online somewhere where they said that is a bad idea. I guess I should try and figure out where they're used so I don't get tripped by that as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-03-14 135431.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	177711  

Last edited by hobnail; 03-14-2020 at 06:09 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ugh, the ligatures are as bad as having the numeric html entities replaced (some like that, but I don't). So != is replaced by an equals sign with a diagonal slash through it, => is replaced by that math arrow symbol.
Advert
Old 03-23-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Ugh, the ligatures [...] So != is replaced by an equals sign with a diagonal slash through it, => is replaced by that math arrow symbol.
Looks like the ligatureless version is now called "Cascadia Mono":

https://github.com/microsoft/cascadia-code/releases

Looks like the change happened around November 2019.

Quote:
It also has ligatures for coding stuff; I recently read an article online somewhere where they said that is a bad idea. I guess I should try and figure out where they're used so I don't get tripped by that as well.
Some people like it, some people don't.

Would be interested in seeing this article you speak of.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:44 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I've seen so many articles both for and against ligatures and coding that finding one is just a Google search away. One sample would be found at I'm Not a Fan of Programming Font Ligatures.

Personally, I'm more in the no camp. The only time I used a font that produced ligatures, it made it harder not easier to read the code.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Some people like it, some people don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've seen so many articles both for and against ligatures and coding that finding one is just a Google search away. One sample would be found at I'm Not a Fan of Programming Font Ligatures.

Personally, I'm more in the no camp. The only time I used a font that produced ligatures, it made it harder not easier to read the code.
Killing copy and paste makes it a non-starter for me. I'm surprised no one is complaining about that.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Looks like the ligatureless version is now called "Cascadia Mono":

https://github.com/microsoft/cascadia-code/releases

Looks like the change happened around November 2019.

Ah, thanks. I'll give it a try.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #7
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Killing copy and paste makes it a non-starter for me. I'm surprised no one is complaining about that.
I typed this into notepad using Cascadia Code got the ligatures and it pasted correctly into paint.net's text tool.

Code:
-> --> ==> != === !== && || <=<
### ***
www.whatever

Last edited by hobnail; 03-24-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The individual letters inside the ligatures themselves are there, it's only the way they're displayed. Copy/Paste and search shouldn't be messed up at all.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #9
hobnail
Running with scissors

It's the same as if you were to type fi, fl, etc. with a font/setup that does ligatures; copy and paste gets what you typed.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:25 AM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
The individual letters inside the ligatures themselves are there, it's only the way they're displayed. Copy/Paste and search shouldn't be messed up at all.
Quote:
It's the same as if you were to type fi, fl, etc. with a font/setup that does ligatures; copy and paste gets what you typed.
My mistake then.

My only known recent experience with ligatures was a letter I wrote last year in libreoffice. When I printed it there was a blank space where a letter pair had been. I pulled the file up again and the correct letters were there. It took me a while to figure out they were shown as a ligature and that the printer font didn't have it. That put in my mind that a ligature is its own character.

It is still my opinion that ligatures are worse than useless.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:52 PM   #11
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
That put in my mind that a ligature is its own character.

It is its own character, but only on output when displayed or printed.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #12
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
It is its own character, but only on output when displayed or printed.
Not necessarily.

In Unicode itself, there are a handful of ligature characters, but these were provided mostly for backwards compatibility. Characters like: ff, fi, fl, ffi.

And in the rare case, ligatures are actual letters in the alphabet. Like æ in Danish/Norwegian. For more details on this, see "Æ" on Wikipedia + "Orthographic ligature" > Letters and diacritics originating as ligatures.

OpenType

In OpenType, there are 4 main categories:
  • Standard ligatures
  • Contextual ligatures
  • Discretionary ligatures
  • Historical ligatures

Beyond that, ligatures can also be arbitrary combinations of letters. Like in these code-focused fonts with: +- -> ±.

The underlying characters are all still there: fi, st, fl... the font itself will just display these combinations differently or add flourishes depending on the settings (and font size!).

Side Note: For more specific details, see Microsoft's article, "OpenType Font Features" > Ligatures.

Quote:
It is still my opinion that ligatures are worse than useless.
They serve a purpose for readability. It's why often you see 'f' in ligatures, because the 'f' overhangs to the upper right, so it often causes unsightly visual gaps or clashes with other tall letters.

Side Note: For a lot more details/reading, see my Post #18 in "Turn off ligatures (temporarily)?" (and the rest of the thread) + especially see the talk I referenced in Post #29, "Selective Ligature Suppression" given at TUG 2018. In that talk, he goes to extreme detail about ligatures and how various languages handle them (plus many strange edge cases, like Turkish with the f + ı [dotless i]).

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-25-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #13
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Not necessarily.

In Unicode itself, there are a handful of ligature characters, but these were provided mostly for backwards compatibility. Characters like: ff, fi, fl, ffi.

(I think of them as glyphs rather than characters.) But aren't those glyphs what's used in the output? My thinking was that when there's a sequence that can be displayed with a ligature then something happens to make the ligature appear in the output instead of the original sequence.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #14
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
(I think of them as glyphs rather than characters.)
Yeah. In normal language, glyph/symbol/character get used interchangeably... in Unicode, it gets a bit more technical, so "glyph" would be the proper term for a single displayed shape.

Quote:
But aren't those glyphs what's used in the output? My thinking was that when there's a sequence that can be displayed with a ligature then something happens to make the ligature appear in the output instead of the original sequence.
On more technical Glyph/Ligature discussion, see the FAQ on the Unicode.org page, "Ligatures, Digraphs, Presentation Forms vs. Plain Text", especially:

Quote:
Q: What about the “ct” ligature? Is there a character for that in Unicode?

A: No, the “ct” ligature is another example of a ligature of Latin letters commonly seen in older type styles. [...] One simply represents the character sequence <c, t> in Unicode and depends on font design and font attribute controls to determine whether the result is ligated in display (or in printing). [...]

Remember that the Unicode Standard is a character encoding standard, and is not intended to standardize ligatures or other presentation forms, or any other aspects of the details of font and glyph design. The ligatures which you can find in the Unicode Standard are compatibility encodings only—and are not meant to set a precedent requiring the encoding of all ligatures as characters.
And in OpenType itself, I Love Typography's, "An Introduction to OpenType Substitution Features" goes into some of the nitty gritty of how alternates/ligatures work.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-29-2020 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:05 AM   #15
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Thanks, some fun reading there.