Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Morcheeba
Morcheeba began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Question Impossible to upgrade

Hello,

Do you had this trouble ? When I go to firmware update, it told me there is no update.
My firmware version is 15 and my brother is already in 18, so there is a new version.
How can I fix that ?
An idea ?
Thanks by advance

Morcheeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
danmagay
danmagay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Rather than going on "Firmware update" try going into;

>Settings
>About Kobo eReader (at the bottom)
>System update (at the top)

This way has worked for me on the previous update : )
Dan from Hungary : )
danmagay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
Morcheeba

Thanks for your answer but, when I do that, it says " Corrupt Update file" There seems to be a problem with the update file. Please try again.

Maybe I should make a hard reset ?

Is there anyway to download the update and applicate it via the pc ?

Morcheeba from france !

Last edited by Morcheeba; 01-09-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
Morcheeba

So I uninstalled some applications and but my wifi with a wep protection and it seems to download.
Wait and see, thanks for your help.
Morcheeba
Old 01-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
blackcondor1
blackcondor1 began at the beginning.

I just turned on my new Vox and when I try to upgrade the firmware/software it says "Tablet Upgrade Error Unable to ungrade your Kobo eReader. Please try again later"

Can I do anything about this problem?
blackcondor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 03:19 AM   #6
Morcheeba

Hello blackcondor1

To resolve your trouble, do a factory reset : you push the + volume and start the kobo, you let your finger untill you see a message.
Then you'll be able to upgrade your vox correctly.

Morcheeba
Old 01-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
JMD1970
JMD1970 began at the beginning.

Hello blackcondor, and Morcheeba.

I have the same problem with the upgrade error. I have done so many factory resets, that my finger has a permanent "+" embedded in it!

I have spoken with Kobo customer service, and exchanged dozens of emails with their Tier 2 department, but still have no satisfaction.

At first they were saying that it was a server overload error because everyone was trying to update the Vox's they received at Christmas. But, after trying unsuccessfully for 2 and a half weeks, they've changed their tune and are now saying that it must be a defective model. I exchanged the original reader 5 days after Christmas, and was still having the same problem. I then exchanged the reader for the third time yesterday.

I cannot get past the update screen. I was told that it is a fluke that the second reader wasn't upgrading as well, so therefore it must be our wi-fi. Not so. I have tried doing this upgrade on 5 different wi-fi's, 3 of them were T3's.

Kobo's new answer to these extremely frustrating problems? Return it to them and they'll send a replacement, but it may take a few weeks.

Is there anything I can do? Three readers, all with the same results.

Joyce

P.S. We have reset the password, and all set-up features, on our wi-fi at home, and as I said, we've tried it on 4 other wi-fi's as well, so I don't think it's an internet issue. We've also disabled the firewall to see if that made a difference.
JMD1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Joyce; please see my reply to your other post. You need to try a reset that is done by holding down the vol+ key while powering the unit on from a full power off.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
JMD1970

[QUOTE=JMD1970;1922418]Hello blackcondor, and Morcheeba.

I have the same problem with the upgrade error. I have done so many factory resets, that my finger has a permanent "+" embedded in it!QUOTE]
Old 01-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
try formatting it by plugging into your pc and formatting the disk. some have said in other posts that when turned back on after, it restarted the update and it worked
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #11
JMD1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
try formatting it by plugging into your pc and formatting the disk. some have said in other posts that when turned back on after, it restarted the update and it worked
Actually, tried that with my first one, but it didn't do any good, which is why I didn't bother doing it with the other two.

I took the Vox back to the store last night. I figured if I'd tried 10 or 11 different suggestions from Kobo, Facebook, and this forum, and nothing worked for any of the 3 that I had, then it's truly a defective product.

After doing hours and hours of research, and talking to several different staff at different Future Shops (where we purchased the readers), we determined that it's more than overwhelmingly possible that the readers were either missing files, or the files were not compatible with the wi-fi networks in Nova Scotia.

I say this because one of the things we tried doing first with all three readers was visiting three different locations that had wi-fi. We confirmed with management at two of these locations that the networks were T3's, and through two different providers. They were also secured. The third location was also a T3, public (unsecured), but the staff weren't sure who the provider was. We tried them on our wireless, and a friend's network who used a different provider as well. They were all urban locations.

There just can't be any other explanation. I can see me messing something up the first time, when when both of us call and had Kobo reps walk us through the setup process, and both of us had the same results, it's definitely not user error.

Someone should compile a list of all these sensible suggestions, and then post them under one locations so other users can have an easier time looking for help. Maybe someone should hack into Kobo and post them on their website! They sure as hell don't seem to know what to do.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD1970 View Post

or the files were not compatible with the wi-fi networks in Nova Scotia.

That can't be the reason, we have Laurapony and several other members of the forum that live in Halifax and elsewhere in NS that have been using and updating their Voxes since it's launch...
It's got to be something else...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
More likely a box of defective units ended up in NS.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #14
Morcheeba

Hello,

How is configure your wifi, wep or wap ? Before the upgrade, my wifi was not recognize, it was with a wap protection, I put it in wep, and then, I could upgrade.