Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-08-2023, 02:04 PM   #1
deb27
Enthusiast
deb27 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Question Is Amazon deleting side loaded books?

My typical process for managing my books on my kindle is to purchase them from Amazon and allow Amazon to download my purchases to my device.
I also will download those same books from my computer and pull them into Calibre (with the DRM stripped off).

I do not sell, loan or distribute DRM stripped books. I only do this because when I upgrade to a new kindle device, it's too hard to get all my books onto my new device because Amazon has no mechanism to download all books - you have to do them 25 at a time.

Instead I just copy all the books from Calibre onto the new device.

Recently I discovered that a large number of my books on my current device mysteriously were no longer downloaded. I.e. if I wanted to read one I had to download it again. After some research, the missing downloads appear to be the ones that I had copied to the device from Calibre.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this their new way to keep people from stealing books and distributing them without DRM? I do understand their concern about piracy and I support authors by purchasing their books.
deb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:14 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon is not deleting side-loaded eBooks. If Amazon was doing this, there would be a major outcry and we'd have more then 1 post on MR about this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2023, 02:26 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
More likely a menu setting on the Kindle or file corruption.

Amazon isn't going to delete content you copied by USB or WiFi from you own gear.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:34 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
More likely a menu setting on the Kindle or file corruption.

Amazon isn't going to delete content you copied by USB or WiFi from you own gear.
Good point on settings maybe being wrong. Amazon makes it very easy to change the setting to show your side-loaded eBooks.

I cannot say where that setting is as I don't have the latest Kindle firmware. I don't even have the latest PW3 firmware installed.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:50 PM   #5
deb27
Enthusiast

I can't find any setting on my Paperwhite that can identify what I copied from Calibre vs what was downloaded from Amazon.

The only options in the filters for "type" are: books, samples, documents, newstand, audible, comics and collections.
Books which I purchased from Amazon but copied to the device from Calibre show up under the "books" type - as do the books which were sync'd directly from Amazon to my device.

I looked up the date when I purchased the Paperwhite. So far, of all the books I've checked, books purchased before the Paperwhite (which would have been copied to the device from Calibre) are gone.
All of the books I've purchased after getting the Paperwhite (which would have been downloaded directly from Amazon) are still there.

So it looks to me like all books that I purchased and copied to the device via Calibre were deleted.

Of course, since I purchased them, I can re-download them from Amazon or re-copy them from Calibre but I think Amazon removed them because I can't come up with any other theory for why 1300 books disappeared from my device.
Advert
Old 11-08-2023, 02:53 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Amazon did not remove any eBooks from your Kindle.

Which Kindle are you using and what version firmware?
Old 11-08-2023, 02:54 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon is not deleting side-loaded eBooks. If Amazon was doing this, there would be a major outcry and we'd have more then 1 post on MR about this.
I have seen multiple reports of this happening recently. Users report books that were sideloaded via USB suddenly disappeared. A common factor in many of those reports is connecting the device via Wi-Fi after a long period of it being offline.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:55 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have seen multiple reports of this happening recently. Users report books that were sideloaded via USB suddenly disappeared. A common factor in many of those reports is connecting the device via Wi-Fi after a long period of it being offline.
Did any of these people plug in the Kindle to USB and have a look to see if the eBooks were still there? I cannot see why Amazon would remove side-loaded eBooks.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:59 PM   #9
deb27
Enthusiast

JSWolf
Kindle Paperwhite (11th Generation)
Firmware Kindle 5.16.4 (4131240058)

Something removed the downloads and it wasn't me.

My only other suspect is Amazon. If ALL the downloads were gone I might think it was a device error. However 400+ out of my 1700 books still had their downloads. And it seems that they were the most recent purchases (i.e. acquired after purchasing the Paperwhite).
Old 11-08-2023, 03:02 PM   #10
deb27
Enthusiast

Here's my theory for what it's worth.
Amazon knows what I purchased. And it has the ability to remove books from a kindle (such as those which were borrowed from a library or Prime Lending). If it sees a book on the kindle which was purchased but no longer has DRM, they're removing the file from the device.

I have yet to come up with another solution for the disappearance of 1300 books.

Last edited by deb27; 11-08-2023 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:22 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It is common for books converted to Kindle formats via calibre to include metadata indicating that the book was obtained from Amazon (CDETYPE=EBOK) as opposed to being a personal document.

Amazon keeps track of which purchased or borrowed books are supposed to be present on each device registered to a user.

It is possible that a cleanup process has been added that is occasionally checking device contents against the user's purchases and removing supposedly purchased books that should not be present on the device.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 04:08 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It is possible that a cleanup process has been added that is occasionally checking device contents against the user's purchases and removing supposedly purchased books that should not be present on the device.
What an awful idea. Has Amazon entirely lost all their collective marbles? Now they're messing with the users' personal content on their personal devices; what next? Disable any USB sideloading and allow personal documents only through their server?

This is madness. If your theory is true, that's a very good reason to never buy another Kindle.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 05:06 PM   #13
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'd think the more likely explanation is that Amazon messed something up accidentally.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 12:36 PM   #14
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...loaded-ebooks/

It maybe a bug between Calibre and Kindle.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 12:44 PM   #15
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I'd think the more likely explanation is that Amazon messed something up accidentally.
Something something never assume malice when incompetence something....
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote