Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Nook Color 2 due end of September 2011

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23947...nl_dnx_h_crawl
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
...the new Nook will incorporate more tablet-like functionality, including email, music, games, and other apps.
Wow, that's really insightful. The current device offers that stuff. Looks like someone was just trying to increase "word count".
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Yeah....I wont buy it...Ive already got a Nook tablet lol. What else could they offer?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
If the reading experience isn't improved, then what's the point?
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I really don't think its happening.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
It seems likely they'll update the nook color to stay a step ahead of the new kindle tablet. Maybe a slight decrease in the price, updating the screen and bumping the specs to let it handle apps that require a bit more power.

I doubt there will be any major updates though.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:00 AM   #7
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
That article is terrible. It cites the NC as running Android 2.1, mentions the marketing fiction of a $199 Lenovo tablet, and attributes the fluff Scion quoted to Digitimes, which only stated that B&N had purchased screen components which might be used for a next-gen NC.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still prefer e-ink for reading books, for an actual tablet I just picked up an Acer Iconia A100 with honeycvomb for 299, I'd rather have an actual Android tablet and then UI have my choice of reading apps or anything I want to do with it
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
That article is terrible. It cites the NC as running Android 2.1, mentions the marketing fiction of a $199 Lenovo tablet, and attributes the fluff Scion quoted to Digitimes, which only stated that B&N had purchased screen components which might be used for a next-gen NC.
taosaur,

why do you believe that Lenovo is marketing fiction with a $199 tablet.

Actually the standalone GPS in the Lenovo attracted my attention briefly. I am planning to buy it for a cousin but not for me. I already have dedicated Sony and Garmin GPS units.

I want a more dedicated reader like my Kindle 3G but updated with color, back light, and a touch screen. The tablet stuff will just be nice add ons.

My desktop and notebook is where I do my serious work.

Last edited by frahse; 09-07-2011 at 09:53 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
taosaur,

why do you believe that Lenovo is marketing fiction with a $199 tablet.
The only tablets they have priced in USD are a $249 16GB model and a $299 32GB model. While they are also planning to produce an 8GB tablet, it will not be sold in the US, and it's unclear whether it will be sold anywhere at an exchange rate equivalent to $199 US. The $199 price tag was, to all appearances, nothing more than a (successful) bid for tech-blog headlines in the press release.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops. Funny thing about fiction, sometimes it imitates life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
The only tablets they have priced in USD are a $249 16GB model and a $299 32GB model. While they are also planning to produce an 8GB tablet, it will not be sold in the US, and it's unclear whether it will be sold anywhere at an exchange rate equivalent to $199 US. The $199 price tag was, to all appearances, nothing more than a (successful) bid for tech-blog headlines in the press release.

Oops funny thing about fiction. Sometime it imitates life or maybe life imitates it.

The $199 Lenovo is popping up all over in reviews in the last 3 days. It was on the Lenovo site, but it keeps moving around as they tweak it.

I am a believer.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #12
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Just had a look around, and no one is either contradicting engadget's report that the 8GB model won't ship in the US, nor announcing a market in which it will be sold for $199. They're just fiddling with whatever gadget Lenovo sends them and repeating the numbers in the press release. Funny thing about tech "reporters;" they rarely fact check.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:15 AM   #13
frahse
occasional author

Well, I have to agree I don't yet have a quote from Lenovo or an online seller for that price of $199.99 and a delivery date, but I do have high hopes.

I keep looking at Amazon and they do have a place in their catalog, but no details yet.

On that note, does anyone have a quote from Barnes and Noble or another seller on the new Nook Color 2?

Is that fiction?

Last edited by frahse; 09-15-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
ekeekk14
ekeekk14 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
wait.. i literally JUST received my nook color.. literally
please don't tell me a nook color 2 is coming out at the end of this month
ekeekk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
taosaur
intelligent posterior

The rumors are all pretty numinous. If it is in the works, they'll probably try to beat Amazon to market, but the odds of anything dropping before Halloween seem slight.