Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Today, 03:06 AM   #1
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur
MrSlow&Steady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What's Better? AZW3 or KFX

So I have seen people debate these two formats. Lately I've been advised to switch to AZW3 and been doing so. But I also heard of KFX and now I am stumped about what to do. I am not sure whether to switch. I have already been partway through the process of converting around 3,000 MOBI ebooks into AZW3 and I really don't want to go through this again. And yet KFX is supposed to be better apparently? I am confused.

So what's better? Pros and cons of each?
MrSlow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:06 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The pros of KFX are mostly enhanced typesetting and hyphenation, also the option to set justification on the device. The cons - doesn't work with the FONT-RAMP hack and has a fixed minimum line height.

Personally I used AZW3 when I had Kindles, because the FONT-RAMP hack was essential to me, but it's very much a matter of personal preference.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 05:21 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
AZW3 (KF8) is probably a better source format for further conversion. IMO KFX is more a version just for putting on reading devices.

Last edited by pdurrant; Today at 08:06 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:53 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlow&Steady View Post
So I have seen people debate these two formats. Lately I've been advised to switch to AZW3 and been doing so. But I also heard of KFX and now I am stumped about what to do. I am not sure whether to switch. I have already been partway through the process of converting around 3,000 MOBI ebooks into AZW3 and I really don't want to go through this again. And yet KFX is supposed to be better apparently? I am confused.

So what's better? Pros and cons of each?
With KF8 (It's not AZW3), you can use the Hyphenate This! plugin to add in soft hyphens. Also you can use a font such as ChareInk6SP to reduce the line height. Also, you can edit KF8 eBooks in the calibre editor. You can also use negative L/R margins in HTML to reduce the wasted margin space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:16 AM   #5
bustacap
PC Dev
bustacap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Lenovo Tab M10 (3rd gen)
just keep em as epubs and when you upload them through amazon.com/sendtokindle theyll automatically get converted to kfx for most newer kindles that support it
bustacap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 11:00 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustacap View Post
just keep em as epubs and when you upload them through amazon.com/sendtokindle theyll automatically get converted to kfx for most newer kindles that support it
Not everyone wants to use Send to Kindle. Some prefer USB transfer. And some prefer AZW3 to KFX.
Old Today, 11:15 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not everyone wants to use Send to Kindle. Some prefer USB transfer. And some prefer AZW3 to KFX.
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

Been a eon since my Kindle connected via WiFi.
I find it amazing how much privacy folk are giving up just to avoid using a USB cable.

(Moot if you only buy from the Store from the device. But why would you use Calibre ?).
What, When I read is My Business. (I don't have a 'subscription' like KU)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:56 AM   #8
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

I find it amazing how much privacy folk are giving up just to avoid using a USB cable.
I have been using my e-readers for as long as I have had them with Wi-Fi always on. Possibly my privacy has been compromised terribly (although I don't know in what way) but I haven't noticed anything life-altering over the years. I'm sure that somewhere hidden away someone will know more about me than I know about myself and it's possible that this will take its toll on me in some way in the not too distant future (even now or in the past). For the moment, I enjoy the comfort of ignorance. But I'm fine with people using a USB cable (I even do it myself from time to time).
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:59 AM   #9
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

(Moot if you only buy from the Store from the device. But why would you use Calibre ?).
What, When I read is My Business. (I don't have a 'subscription' like KU)
You do know usb ports canstop working after sometime. This is why I have to connect my kindle to the internet. I only have one working port and I use it for the mouse. just by going on the internet you are giving out information whether to a VPN or typing out a search. It's impossible not to.
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:06 PM   #10
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To answer posters question. KFX is better for goodreads integration if you have a newer model. It also works with text to speech better on android. Save yourself time and only convert the ones you are goingvto actually read right now. I had converted all mine to mobi . But will need to convert back to epub for some of the readers I use. Like mentioned send to converts to kfx.
Old Today, 12:14 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2022 View Post
You do know usb ports canstop working after sometime.
I've never had any USB port on any device stop working. Not once. But then I don't usually use a device for 10+ years before I upgrade. 5-6 years, yes, often.
Old Today, 12:55 PM   #12
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
The pros of KFX are mostly enhanced typesetting and hyphenation, also the option to set justification on the device. The cons - doesn't work with the FONT-RAMP hack and has a fixed minimum line height.

Personally I used AZW3 when I had Kindles, because the FONT-RAMP hack was essential to me, but it's very much a matter of personal preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
AZW3 (KF8) is probably a better source format for further conversion. IMO KFX is more a version just for putting on reading devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With KF8 (It's not AZW3), you can use the Hyphenate This! plugin to add in soft hyphens. Also you can use a font such as ChareInk6SP to reduce the line height. Also, you can edit KF8 eBooks in the calibre editor. You can also use negative L/R margins in HTML to reduce the wasted margin space.
Quote:
To answer posters question. KFX is better for goodreads integration if you have a newer model. It also works with text to speech better on android. Save yourself time and only convert the ones you are goingvto actually read right now. I had converted all mine to mobi . But will need to convert back to epub for some of the readers I use. Like mentioned send to converts to kfx.
Any plusses to AZW3 that KFX doesn't have? I already spent several days doing conversion and I really don't want to believe my hard work was for nothing.

Like is it worth going through the trouble to reconvert them to KFX at this point?
Old Today, 01:17 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlow&Steady View Post
Any plusses to AZW3 that KFX doesn't have? I already spent several days doing conversion and I really don't want to believe my hard work was for nothing.

Like is it worth going through the trouble to reconvert them to KFX at this point?
If you don't care about hyphenation and enhanced typesetting, there's no need to reconvert to KFX.

The advantages of AZW3 are that it's editable, it works with the FONT_RAMP hack and the margins + line height can be made smaller than with KFX. If you never edit or use the font_ramp hack, then you may not care about those advantages either.

In short, if you don't care about any pros/cons described in this thread, just leave your books AZW3, because you won't probably notice any difference anyway.
Old Today, 01:25 PM   #14
jonathan2022
Connoisseur

For ne personally. I use text to speech which kfx works better with (yesvi know their are other apps with tts but for this instance) I also tend to update my goodreads page with status up dates eg percent read which is better with kfx. Azw3 converted least for me does not do goodreads updates well. Unless they are the send via cable ones you get via Amazon. What device are you using these formats on? If you don't use goodreads or tts( text to Speech. Azw3 is fine.
Old Today, 01:27 PM   #15
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
If you don't care about hyphenation and enhanced typesetting, there's no need to reconvert to KFX.

The advantages of AZW3 are that it's editable, it works with the FONT_RAMP hack and the margins + line height can be made smaller than with KFX. If you never edit or use the font_ramp hack, then you may not care about those advantages either.

In short, if you don't care about any pros/cons described in this thread, just leave your books AZW3, because you won't probably notice any difference anyway.
Quote:
For ne personally. I use text to speech which kfx works better with (yesvi know their are other apps with tts but for this instance) I also tend to update my goodreads page with status up dates eg percent read which is better with kfx. Azw3 converted least for me does not do goodreads updates well. Unless they are the send via cable ones you get via Amazon. What device are you using these formats on? If you don't use goodreads or tts( text to Speech. Azw3 is fine.
For me it's about whether the reading experience will be better. Like which is better between them?

Another reason I am having second thoughts about AZW3 is because when I search for an ebook and click on a AZW3 file it appears, all I get is an error message saying it can't be opened. That's really ticking me off lately.