Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Firmware upgrade = BRICK!

Tried to do a firmware upgrade on my fiance's Reader and the upgrade took forever, quite literally. Decided to pull the plug and I ended up with a brick. I was pretty embarrassed and upset about this considering my upgrade went without a hitch. In fact, this happened on Monday and it took me until now to get over it. The Reader is still under Sony's replacement program so she'll get a refurb to take its place. The problem is that it was engraved and that'll be gone. Such is life with firmware upgrades I guess.

So what needs to happen with the registration in order for the new unit to be able to read the books she purchased? Does she need to de-permission the older Reader or does the software go by computer and not Reader?

Thanks in advance.

Nathan
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Did you try running the update on the reader again? that might fix it.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
nathantw
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
Did you try running the update on the reader again? that might fix it.
I tried running the firmware and it kept asking to "connect" the Reader to the computer. The amber light on the Reader remained on regardless if I moved the on/off switch or not. The only way to turn it off was to press the reset button on the back of the unit. I'm pretty sure it was hosed. The Reader wasn't even recognized by the computer.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Any chance of trying the same on a different computer? Some people report success with that.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
nathantw
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Any chance of trying the same on a different computer? Some people report success with that.
I already sent it out so I can't try it. I didn't read the suggestion to try a new computer until today and the problem happened on Monday. I was just too upset with myself to go to mobileread and read messages.
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
I already sent it out so I can't try it. I didn't read the suggestion to try a new computer until today and the problem happened on Monday. I was just too upset with myself to go to mobileread and read messages.
There's a lesson for you. I would have tried anything first (especially searching/posting here!) before returning an engraved Reader for a refurb. This is common sense, not hindsight.

Oh well. Too late for anyone here to help, eh?
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I bricked mine by accident and reflashed it and hacked it with another pc not five minutes ago, so yeah, it pays to check the forums first.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
nathantw
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewastaken View Post
I bricked mine by accident and reflashed it and hacked it with another pc not five minutes ago, so yeah, it pays to check the forums first.
It's really weird because I would normally check ALL avenues before sending it off to get repaired. However, in this case I think I was just embarrassed and upset that I ruined her Reader that I just wanted it to get fixed as soon as possible.

I know it was dumb of me not to try to flash it on another computer first, knowing now that it probably would have fixed it, but her computer that I was trying to flash it on wouldn't even see the reader. I guessed, maybe wrongly, that all computers would be the same. I did, however, plug it into two computers at work and neither saw the Reader. Granted I should have downloaded the firmware and tried it before sending it off.

Maybe if I'm lucky Sony will just flash the unit for me and send the same one back.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Was it fully recharged before you started the upgrade
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Bummer. If you get a refurb, perhaps you can zip it over to your local jeweler and get it engraved before handing it over? (Maybe add a funny line?)

Last edited by BobVA; 07-31-2008 at 09:46 PM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:44 PM   #11
acemccloudxx
Java Master
acemccloudxx doesn't litteracemccloudxx doesn't litter

When in doubt - CALL TECH SUPPORT. I had the exact same problem and the tech support folks talked me through a complete and successful fix. Go Sony!
acemccloudxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:53 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by acemccloudxx View Post
When in doubt - CALL TECH SUPPORT. I had the exact same problem and the tech support folks talked me through a complete and successful fix. Go Sony!
What did they have you do? (if it's not too complicated)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:01 AM   #13
acemccloudxx
Java Master
acemccloudxx doesn't litteracemccloudxx doesn't litter

Well, I remember that the following were involved, but not the order or even what else was required.

1. I reset the reader at least twice as we tried different things.
2. I rebooted my computer
3. I downloaded the firmware update and ran it directly rather than from the reader software.
acemccloudxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #14
nathantw
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by acemccloudxx View Post
Well, I remember that the following were involved, but not the order or even what else was required.

1. I reset the reader at least twice as we tried different things.
2. I rebooted my computer
3. I downloaded the firmware update and ran it directly rather than from the reader software.
Interesting. I tried all three, but on the same machine. Oh well, I'll get a replacement. At least my fiance wasn't upset at all. She doesn't depend on the Reader as much as I do. She still reads regular books and she really didn't look at the engraving so that was no big loss. She just wants to make sure the books she bought are still accessible and readable on the new unit though.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #15
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
You can register the new device (if they don't fix your old one, which they might) on your pc and the books should be accessible. If not, CALL SONY TECH SUPPORT! And if it is a different Reader, be sure to un-register the old one.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!