Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-14-2021, 05:51 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Apple Event April 20

Quote:
Spring loaded.
Please join us for a special Apple Event broadcasting from Apple Park. Watch the show online at apple.com.
April 20, 2021
10:00 a.m. PDT
New iPad Pros? New Apple TV?
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:48 PM   #2
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I wonder if it's somehow related to cannabis given the date's place in stoner culture.

I'd guess maybe a new iphone in the same niche as the iPhone SE as well
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2021, 05:11 AM   #3
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I'm hoping for new iMacs. Mine is running pretty slow (2015) and I've done most 'fixes'. The SW has just outrun the hardware. I'm afraid to upgrade to Big Sur.

Macrumors reports that new iMacs will feature a larger display, but in the same size case with bezels being reduced. The bottom aluminum chin will be gone. Of course the new apple processor is said to be used, but perhaps an upgrade from the current M1. They'll also be in colors again, not that I care, I never see the bak of my machine. Another website reports they may not be rolled out in April, but perhaps June.

Last edited by drofgnal; 04-15-2021 at 05:18 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Absolutely no idea what Apple has planned, but that certainly doesn't keep me from speculating!

The current version of the Apple TV came out in September 2017, so it's certainly time for a refresh. I can see me getting one if they do announce a refresh.

There is a lot of buzz about a new iMac, even though they released an iMac less than a year ago. Of course, with the WWDC coming up, announcing developer's hardware makes sense.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:15 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Unless Apple has fixed the MAJOR issue with the M1 and the way it wears out the SSD, no Mac is worth getting.

With an M1 MAC, you will find your SSD has worn out much sooner then it should have and your system will be unusable much sooner then it should be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2021, 05:31 AM   #6
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Unless Apple has fixed the MAJOR issue with the M1 and the way it wears out the SSD, no Mac is worth getting.

With an M1 MAC, you will find your SSD has worn out much sooner then it should have and your system will be unusable much sooner then it should be.
Good to know. I googled this and found some apple forums of people discussing this. It does give me pause on getting a new iMac right now. Maybe I'll just gut it out with my 2015 iMac (1 TB HDD) a while and see how the new one goes. It's supposedly to be a different processor than M1, so maybe there is a fix, but I'll wait a while and see how it behaves in the real world.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:33 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Good to know. I googled this and found some apple forums of people discussing this. It does give me pause on getting a new iMac right now. Maybe I'll just gut it out with my 2015 iMac (1 TB HDD) a while and see how the new one goes. It's supposedly to be a different processor than M1, so maybe there is a fix, but I'll wait a while and see how it behaves in the real world.
The 2015 iMac with a 1 TB HDD is what I have. I have noticed that development is a bit sluggish with it, it take a long time to bring the simulator up.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:55 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There’s got to be a new Apple TV, to support a better gaming experience (4K) and maybe the HomePod sound bar + Apple TV I’ve wanted since I got HomePod.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's the problem. If you need a MAC now, there's not much in the way of choices. Do you get an Intel based MAC where eventually a lot of programs won't run because they are written in M1 code or do you get an M1 based MAC and know that the SSD will wear out and the MAC then becomes useless because the SSD is not replaceable? Or you could wait for the next systems from Apple. But then you have to wait a while to find out if they actually work properly or not.

This is one major advantage to Windows. With Windows, you have many many choices of computers you can get. So if any have flaws, you just get a different system. With Apple, it's not nearly that easy and it never will be. If Apple screws up like they did with the m1, then your choices are very limited and may not be all that good.

I really do think Apple should recall all of the M1 based systems and fix the hardware/software to stop the SSD wear.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-17-2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:59 AM   #10
drofgnal
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The 2015 iMac with a 1 TB HDD is what I have. I have noticed that development is a bit sluggish with it, it take a long time to bring the simulator up.
I did a PRAM reset reboot and SRAM reset. That helped things somewhat. My biggest complaint is with startup time. I was getting on toward 10 minutes. Now it's back to about 3-4, which is still long. My work laptop, a MacBook pro with 512 gb ssd, boots in about 15 seconds.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:01 AM   #11
drofgnal
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's the problem. If you need a MAC now, there's not much in the way of choices. Do you get an Intel based MAC where eventually a lot of programs won't run because they are written in M1 code or do you get an M1 based MAC and know that the SSD will wear out and the MAC then becomes useless because the SSD is not replaceable? Or you could wait for the next systems from Apple. But then you have to wait a while to find out if they actually work properly or not.

This is one major advantage to Windows. With Windows, you have many many choices of computers you can get. So if any have flaws, you just get a different system. With Apple, it's not nearly that easy and it never will be. If Apple screws up like they did with the m1, then your choices are very limited and may not be all that good.

I really do think Apple should recall all of the M based systems and fi the hardware/software to stop the SSD wear.
Yea, they should. We'll see what the new one is like. If they didn't solder the ssd to a board that would help. But my plan now is to wait and see. I was going to buy a new iMac day one.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yea, they should. We'll see what the new one is like. If they didn't solder the ssd to a board that would help. But my plan now is to wait and see. I was going to buy a new iMac day one.
M wife was going to buy an M1 Macbook Air. But that didn't happen because of the SSD wearing out.

I don't see how Apple can continue to sell these disastrous/defective M1 systems.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #13
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
There’s been some debate on the issue — M1 Mac SSD wear probably a far smaller problem than it appears (9to5mac. Mar 11, '21) — but it’s always caveat emptor for first gen Apple products and Apple doesn’t deserve any benefit of doubt after the butterfly keyboard fiasco.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, the event on Tuesday. First and foremost I’d like to see an improved iPad mini; it’s shameful how neglected Apple has left that product. The AppleTV (the Siri remote in particular), also deserves an update. The star of the show is supposed to be the iPad Pro. I think mini-led is overhyped (if it still can’t match the true black of oled then I don’t care) so I do hope Apple adds a resolution increase (or a bigger iPad...).
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #14
datostar
Enthusiast
datostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I wonder if it's somehow related to cannabis given the date's place in stoner culture.

I'd guess maybe a new iphone in the same niche as the iPhone SE as well
Well it's also the birthday of the late A. Hitler which might well have significance in certain quarters.
datostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:08 PM   #15
datostar
Enthusiast
datostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I've got a late 2012 iMac, 16GB RAM and Intel i7 quad core processor, which was severely let down by the 5400rpm 1TB HDDwhich just seemed to get slower and slower. Now absolutely transformed and running Catalina perfectly from a 1TB external SSD which is a sight cheaper than a new machine.
datostar is offline   Reply With Quote