Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 07-27-2023, 02:55 PM   #1
Timucin
Timucin began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3 / Paperwhite 4
Calibre has stopped opening books with the KFX extension

Previously I was able to view the books I had with the kfx extension with Calibre, but now it gives me a warning like this:

calibre, version 6.23.0
ERROR: No associated program: Windows will try to open byn alqSryn - njyb mHfwZ.kfx with calibre itself resulting in a duplicate in your calibre library. You should install some program capable of viewing this file format and tell Windows to use that program to open files of this type.

But before I could open these files, what changed? Did the Calibre update cause this?

How can I solve this?

-----

At the same time, when I want to convert these KFX books, it gives me this warning: calibre, version 6.23.0
WARNING: Could not convert some books: Could not convert the book because no supported source format was found

ثلاثية القاهرة: بين القصرين، قصر الشوق، السكرية - No supported formats (Available formats: kfx)

I could easily convert them to PDF before.

Last edited by Timucin; 07-27-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Timucin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 03:56 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Do you have K4PC or K4Mac installed? Have you installed the KFX Input and Output plugins?

And you might consider DRM as well.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2023, 07:52 AM   #3
Timucin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Do you have K4PC or K4Mac installed? Have you installed the KFX Input and Output plugins?

And you might consider DRM as well.

I use Windows, Calibre and Windows are the latest versions. I don't know what K4PC or K4Mac is. I installed KFX Input and Output plugins and DRM yesterday. But these are not encrypted books anyway. I could open them before.
Old 07-28-2023, 09:10 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timucin View Post
I don't know what K4PC or K4Mac is.
Those are shorthand names for the Kindle fo PC and Kindle for Mac apps. They are sometimes used to download purchased Kindle books in KFX format, although those books will have DRM that can be difficult to remove.

In your case the book in question is in Arabic and those apps do not support that language so that cannot be how you obtained that book.

Quote:
But these are not encrypted books anyway. I could open them before.
Calibre does not support viewing KFX format unless the optional KFX Input plugin is installed. You are mistaken about something regarding your previous setup.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 09:21 AM   #5
Timucin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Those are shorthand names for the Kindle fo PC and Kindle for Mac apps. They are sometimes used to download purchased Kindle books in KFX format, although those books will have DRM that can be difficult to remove.

In your case the book in question is in Arabic and those apps do not support that language so that cannot be how you obtained that book.

Calibre does not support viewing KFX format unless the optional KFX Input plugin is installed. You are mistaken about something regarding your previous setup.

k4pc I see. yes I know. with an old kindle for pc you can download the books you bought (but they must be in english, you can't see arabic books on kindle for pc, I think the sellers didn't allow it) and you can break the DRM of these books. At least I have tried it before.

But the books I have now are not the books I bought, at least some of them. I downloaded them from telegram book sharing channels and I could open them without any problem.

I downloaded and installed the KFX input plugin yesterday, but I still can't open it.

I still haven't found a solution.
Advert
Old 07-28-2023, 11:29 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
I downloaded and installed the KFX input plugin yesterday, but I still can't open it.

I still haven't found a solution.
Have you tried now telling Windows that Calibre can be used for .kfx files?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 01:02 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Have you tried now telling Windows that Calibre can be used for .kfx files?
Make sure to select the calibre ebook-viewer as the opening app, not calibre itself.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 03:35 PM   #8
Timucin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Make sure to select the calibre ebook-viewer as the opening app, not calibre itself.

yes I did.

I googled How to change the default viewer for Calibre and came across this: "Go to Calibre preference icon on the top menu bar and click. Under Interface, select Behavior and click. On the right, is a list of book formats. These are the formats that the Calibre Default viewer will open when you click on a title in the Library browser...."
and I selected Calibre viewer as the default viewer for the KFX extension and the problem went away. Now when I click on the books, the Arabic books open. So somehow this option changed at some point. I think that was the source of the problem.
Thank you very much bro. The problem is gone.
Old 07-28-2023, 10:00 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Out of curiosity, are the search results about the Telegram book sharing channels being dedicated to ebook piracy correct? The majority of the content I can see would appear to be recent copyrighted books.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 05:15 AM   #10
MichaelKindle
MichaelKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5.11.1.1
Calibre will not open Amazon Kindle book published in May 2023

I have only experienced this with one Amazon purchase so far, but I'm afraid it will be true of all Kindle books published after Jan. 2023. Please post if there is any way to get around this. I tried downloading to an older version of Kindle for PC but that did not work, and I cannot register my old Kindle Touch (4th gen.) so that doesn't work either.
MichaelKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 07:37 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKindle View Post
I have only experienced this with one Amazon purchase so far, but I'm afraid it will be true of all Kindle books published after Jan. 2023. Please post if there is any way to get around this. I tried downloading to an older version of Kindle for PC but that did not work, and I cannot register my old Kindle Touch (4th gen.) so that doesn't work either.
There are two ways. Read this, method 3 and method 6:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote