Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-28-2021, 04:00 AM   #1
unicornzvi
unicornzvi began at the beginning.

Device: Linux laptop
Kindle for PC on Linux

It looks like Amazon stopped supporting the old Kindle for PC that could be run via Wine - while you can still install version 1.17 or 1.3 or whatever, they won't connect to Amazon.

Does anyone know of another solution for converting Kindle (without DRM) to some usable format (Preferably ePub)?
unicornzvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:34 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
1.17 connects to Amazon just fine on Windows.

Another solution is to get an eink Kindle and use the Download and Transfer with USB option (it's only available if you have an actual Kindle device registered to your account)
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2021, 06:40 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
An eink Kindle, download to PC option on Amazon, transfer via USB is best.
The Kindle for PC communicates too much to Amazon.
The Download option and Calibre with Alf & eink Serial Number means you have backups, you are device independent and OS independent and can read using any ereader program.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:01 AM   #4
unicornzvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
An eink Kindle, download to PC option on Amazon, transfer via USB is best.
The Kindle for PC communicates too much to Amazon.
The Download option and Calibre with Alf & eink Serial Number means you have backups, you are device independent and OS independent and can read using any ereader program.
Using Kindle for PC then transferring to Calibre gives all those advantages without needing to buy a new device.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:03 AM   #5
unicornzvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
1.17 connects to Amazon just fine on Windows.

Another solution is to get an eink Kindle and use the Download and Transfer with USB option (it's only available if you have an actual Kindle device registered to your account)
Thanks, so I guess the problem is Wine/Linux. I'll check that.
Advert
Old 03-29-2021, 02:41 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicornzvi View Post
Using Kindle for PC then transferring to Calibre gives all those advantages without needing to buy a new device.
I use Linux also, but I've never installed Kindle for PC (and I don't like Wine) — I had a Kindle before I heard about Calibre. If you live in the U.S. you should be able to buy a working Kindle for about $20 (shipped) on www.ShopGoodwill.com. Here's one currently on ShopGoodwill for $10 plus about $10 shipping and handling (depending on where you live). All you have to do is be able to register the Kindle on your Amazon account.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/118482850

There's actually a whole lot of them with starting bids of $9.99 that no one has bid on.

This is the easy option in my opinion.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc, linux