Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma, Kindle Oasis 2
2nd Aura must go back

My Aura luck is sure bad so far. 1st one had glo light flicker, frequent freeze-ups, two-page turns, but a perfect screen.

The next arrived today and has 4 pinholes in the glo light layer. 3 are pretty miniscule, just visible on a dark image, but the 4th is glaring.

Updating the firmware resulted in an oddity, once downloaded, the home screen AND the message about the need to restart the device to install were flipped upside down! And the device froze, requiring a paperclip reset. Anyway, I guess I'll check out version 2.6.1 before calling Kobo tomorrow.

You'd think that QC at the point of manufacture would turn on the unit, turn the light on and check for obvious glo layer defects, but I guess not.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suppose the good news is that I like v2.6.1, I thought v2.5.1 could use a little extra space at the top of the screen and while this is a teeny bit more margin than I'd have done myself, it is perfectly acceptable.

What I don't like is how the covers now do not fill the screen on sleep and are also left aligned! Who thought THAT would look good?

As for .png images, they are showing for me. I can detect that text seems just a wee bit more ragged in images than before, but most probably wouldn't notice.
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
You'd think that QC at the point of manufacture would turn on the unit, turn the light on and check for obvious glo layer defects, but I guess not.
You'd think so.

Quote:
What I don't like is how the covers now do not fill the screen on sleep and are also left aligned! Who thought THAT would look good?
I have my covers set to not fill the screen, but that's optional there's a check box in the settings that lets them be full screen just like there always has been. Not sure about the left aligned thing, mine are centered both horizontally and vertically.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
graycyn
Wizard

Well, I know about the check box for full screen covers, but checking it still does *not* get a full screen cover. It just gets a slightly larger cover, left aligned, vertically centered, with loads of blank space to the right. Very ugly!

Both full screen and non-full screen covers display this way on sleep. I know it is not the epubs, because they are ones I've made myself, the svg wrapper code is correct (obtained here on MR) and works on Sony, Nook, Aldiko, Mantano, Overdrive and hey, even the Kobo app, and the same code displayed properly on firmware v2.5.1.

I haven't seen anyone else reporting the sleep cover display as a bug, so I don't know what is going on there, sigh. Turning off the reader and turning back on again did not solve it, that much I know.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know. All I can tell you is I'm not seeing that problem on mine running 2.6.1 (build 55e7f0d3f0, 6/17/3). Covers look the fine (using ePub's and kePub's), the same as they have since I got the Aura.
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I am not seeing left-aligned covers on my Aura either. They are all centered, and if the checkbox for full-screen is checked, the covers do fill the screen. Not sure what is happening with yours. FW 2.6.1a here.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I haven't seen anyone else reporting the sleep cover display as a bug, so I don't know what is going on there, sigh. Turning off the reader and turning back on again did not solve it, that much I know.
I'd tend to suspect that something was glitched during the firmware upgrade as I haven't seen the left aligned effect you are mentioning. Which means a factory reset and reload.

I've added the cover page and stylesheet info that I'm using. This is set for a 765x1020 image, change dimensions in both spots to match your image. The number of times that margins and padding are set to 0 is a bit silly but it seems to make the cover display work on multiple devices that love to disregard some bits and pieces.

Code:

<style type="text/css">
@page {padding: 0; margin:0}
            body { text-align: center; padding:0; margin: 0; }
</style>
</head>

<body>
  <div class="svg_wrapper">
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 765 1020" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
      <image height="1020" width="765" xlink:href="../Images/cover.jpg"></image>
    </svg>
  </div>

.svg_wrapper {
    display: block;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    text-align: center;
    }
Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 06-24-2013 at 11:36 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I am not seeing left-aligned covers on my Aura either. They are all centered, and if the checkbox for full-screen is checked, the covers do fill the screen. Not sure what is happening with yours. FW 2.6.1a here.
Are all your cover images 3:4 aspect ratio? I have noticed that the Aura does not distort the image. It will take leave bars on the sides or top/bottom if the image is not 3:4 aspect ratio -- but centered bars.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
graycyn
Wizard

Sorry not to get back sooner, I did figure it out. I wasn't sure if I wanted to upgrade and have a chance of NOT getting the latest update, so I dumped the upgrade files, Kobo Desktop had bombed out anyway, so I wasn't even sure the files were OK. Then I loaded on some books. Then I realized as soon as I opened one, without an update of some sort, the Aura came with 2.4.1.

So I fired Desktop back up and just did the update and fortunately got 2.6.1b. Then, playing with the three books I was testing, I saw the strange sleep behavior. When I added a few more books, those had the covers showing correctly in sleep mode. So the fix was to delete the first three books I'd loaded under 2.4.1 and reload them. Now all is normal.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
Blintok57
Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 -32g - Kobo Aura
my comment kind of fits here. i got a kobo aura on sunday. last night i notice a "dead" pixel. (more of a hole in the backlight) It was about 2inch from bottom right in the centre. Was very distracting. So today i exchanged it for a new one.

not sure what to do now. the new one has the same issue but this time it is about 3 inch from bottom but almost right on the left edge. Do i keep exchanging until i get a good one or just give up and get a refund. Do not really want to as i do like this device.

I had a touch at xmas but sold it and got a Nexus 7. while this works great. i think the ererader is better for books. it is lighter. battery lasts comparatively for ever. For night reading the glow from the nexus is too much. i much prefer the gentle lighting of the aura.

are these aura devices just all defective? i liked the aura over the glo due to it being a bit larger and more pixel density. lol. not sure how many times the store will allow me to keep exchanging the device?
Blintok57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blintok57 View Post
are these aura devices just all defective? i liked the aura over the glo due to it being a bit larger and more pixel density. lol. not sure how many times the store will allow me to keep exchanging the device?
Not sure what's going on with quality control since there seem to be more posts about this recently. No they are not all defective. I wonder if there are a few bad batches floating around since people with one bad one seem to end up with another after exchange. I'd give it another shot and check it before you leave the store possible (or return it and try one from a different store maybe).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blintok57 View Post
not sure what to do now. the new one has the same issue but this time it is about 3 inch from bottom but almost right on the left edge. Do i keep exchanging until i get a good one or just give up and get a refund. Do not really want to as i do like this device.
If you're returning/exchanging in a B&M store I'd get them to let you check it before leaving with it.

Quote:
are these aura devices just all defective?
Even with the small sample size of just MR users I'd say that the majority of the devices aren't having the pin hole/light problem.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #13
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Even with the small sample size of just MR users I'd say that the majority of the devices aren't having the pin hole/light problem.
What are you trying to say? If the minority is faulty it is ok? The question is how many units (procent) are faulty. And if the actual number of defect units is higher or lower then the normally expected number of defect units when assembling devices.
Devices with light and/or screen issues should have been intercepted by final QC before packaging and shipping. But agreed, with any product, some faulty units will always slip through QC.

Last edited by Anak; 06-26-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
What are you trying to say? If the minority is faulty it is ok? The question is how many units (procent) are faulty. And if the actual number of defect units is higher or lower then the normally expected number of defect units when assembling devices.
Devices with light and/or screen issues should have been intercepted by final QC before packaging and shipping. But agreed, with any product, some faulty units will always slip through QC.
Did you bother to read the question I was responding to?

No it's not OK that any of them are faulty & I never said so. The question was if all of them had the problem.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
Blintok57
Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blintok57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 -32g - Kobo Aura
so after using the exchanged unit last night i notice it is actually worse than the first aura.
There are 4 pinholes now instead of one. BUT, most are faintly visable. The most noticable is about 2mm off the left edge, there are 2 others in the lower left corner and 1 in the upper left. The last 3 are faint tho and you have to hold the device close to see them.

I am still on the fence if i will return this. Is it being anal to want a perfect flawless screen? I will wait until friday to decide to exchange it or not. I got the aura and a local store (Chapters) but if i am exchanging i will try a different branch of the store and i will examine the aura for flaws b4 i leave the store.
maybe try a different color to see if maybe it is the black auras that had a bad batch of screens.
Blintok57 is offline   Reply With Quote