Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM   #1
mrprobert
Enthusiast
mrprobert began at the beginning.

Device: None
Sigil 2.3.0 crashes when opening Fictionwise epubs

I have quite a few epubs I purchased from Fictionwise back in the day. From time to time I pull one out of my backup and load it into Sigil so that I can cleanup the many, many problems with it. Before 2.3.0 it was a workable thing but now Sigil crashes when I open one.

Ironically, I can open them in Caliber but I really don't want to go that route.

My preferences are set to mend not well formed html source code on open.

Here's an example if you have time to dig into it.
Moderator Notice
Removed Coprighted (1994) book. Do not post copyrighted material.

Last edited by KevinH; Yesterday at 01:20 PM. Reason: removed copyrighted book
mrprobert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
2.3.0 did ABEND

Opened with ebook-edit directly (Calibre. not added to any Library)

The error message is:
metadata.opf (line: 30)
The tag has no reference to the NCX table of contents file. Without this reference, the table of contents will not work in most readers. The reference should look like .
Add the reference to the NCX file <<<I clicked this and Sigil then opened
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #3
mrprobert
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
2.3.0 did ABEND

The reference should look like .
Add the reference to the NCX file <<<I clicked this and Sigil then opened
What should that reference look like?
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
And that crash will happen with any epub opening warnings that do not have "details" in the warning message. Missing NCX or broken NCX is one of those warnings detected when opening an epub that includes no extra "details", so it causes a crash.

This bug was reported and fixed over the weekend. The fix is already in Sigil master. And we are planning a fast Sigil 2.3.1 release hopefully within the next week or so.

Unless you build your own, the only workaround is to use an earlier Sigil release or make sure your epub NCX is correctly specified in an epub2.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
@theducks,
I can still see the link in his post? Do you want me to edit his post to delete it or has the link changed to something legal to post?

Update, I just removed the attachment to be safe since the problem is known and already fixed.

Last edited by KevinH; Yesterday at 01:21 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM   #6
mrprobert
Enthusiast

Thanks, Kevin. I will wait for the next release.
Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
@theducks,
I can still see the link in his post? Do you want me to edit his post to delete it or has the link changed to something legal to post?

Update, I just removed the attachment to be safe since the problem is known and already fixed.
I typed the message and forgot the attachment
Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil definitely shouldn't crash--we've fixed it. But it absolutely amazes me that so many legit epub sources would deliver epubs with broken NCXs!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sigil definitely shouldn't crash--we've fixed it. But it absolutely amazes me that so many legit epub sources would deliver epubs with broken NCXs!
Close to a decade back, I stopped being surprised when an epub from a legitimate source was a dog's breakfast.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Some of this is from the Lowest Bidder mentality.
Most BPH have house styles.
Looking at what was delivered to the end user shows the coder had little clue and just used the first selection that gave 'the look'. Whole books using 'frontmatter' styles
The there is Baen, where every chapter is nested in another DIV (30 Chapters are nested in 30 Divs. ) I have a saved Baen_deDiv S&R which I run as many times as needed until the changed results = 0
In the end, the book looks no different to the reader
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have no problem believing they're full of garbage. But they're typically not flat busted. This ncx thing wouldn't pass any validator out there. NCXs are required in Epub2. Manifested in the opf, given the proper media type, and its manifested id added to the toc attribute of the spine. Sheesh!
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some of the work BooksByJoy did for Baen was a pain. And yeah, I still have my remove divs saved search kicking around.

Not quite sure if this was the issue with the OP's ePub but when I delete the toc.ncx from an ePub and then open the ePub with Sigil built from master, I get the Sigil has encountered a problem message and the file closes.

I may have jumped the gun on downloading the source. I checked back and noticed more recent updates so will try a rebuild.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-03 125443.png
Views:	9
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	210590  

Last edited by DNSB; Yesterday at 04:06 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Yes. The crash has already been fixed in master. Sigil will create an empty ncx if one is not present (including one being present but not properly configured). It has always done this. It was a change to our error messaging that was causing the crash in the 2.3.0 release.

EDIT: wait Sigil closes? How are you deleting the ncx? You can't delete the ncx from an epub2 inside of Sigil, and the ncx isn't required in and epub3. I'm confused.

Last edited by DiapDealer; Yesterday at 04:04 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Tried the code from about 30 minutes ago and still crashes when I open an ePub without the ncx. file.
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes. The crash has already been fixed in master. Sigil will create an empty ncx if one is not present (including one being present but not properly configured). It has always done this. It was a change to our error messaging that was causing the crash in the 2.3.0 release.

EDIT: wait Sigil closes? How are you deleting the ncx? You can't delete the ncx from an epub2 inside of Sigil, and the ncx isn't required in and epub3. I'm confused.
I opened the .epub with 7-zip and removed the ncx file since 7-zip does not care about it's presence. Closed the file and then re-opened with Sigil. The error message sat on the screen for a second or so and then Sigil closed.

I've attached a dummy ePub with the toc.ncx and with the toc.ncx removed.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Dummy1.epub (1.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: epub Dummy2.epub (1.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by DNSB; Yesterday at 04:26 PM.