Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2022, 11:09 PM   #1
JDesat
Connoisseur
JDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD
Database disk image is malformed?

I've been trying to find a way to fix this issue without having to reset the Kobo entirely. I have no idea what caused the database error; I have only ever used Calibre to load books and haven't had any issues with it before (I use the Kobo program only for updating the device).

When I run an integrity check I get this:
Spoiler:
*** in database main ***
On tree page 379894 cell 0: Rowid 1353997 out of order
On tree page 378735 cell 54: 2nd reference to page 358273
Page 300 is never used
Page 846 is never used
Page 953 is never used
Page 954 is never used
Page 955 is never used
Page 956 is never used
Page 957 is never used
Page 958 is never used
Page 959 is never used
Page 960 is never used
Page 3548 is never used
Page 4112 is never used
Page 4751 is never used
Page 4885 is never used
Page 4886 is never used
Page 4887 is never used
Page 4888 is never used
Page 4889 is never used
Page 4890 is never used
Page 4891 is never used
Page 4892 is never used
Page 4893 is never used
Page 4894 is never used
Page 4895 is never used
Page 4896 is never used
Page 4897 is never used
Page 4898 is never used
Page 4899 is never used
Page 4900 is never used
Page 4901 is never used
Page 4902 is never used
Page 4903 is never used
Page 5812 is never used
Page 5813 is never used
Page 6854 is never used
Page 6857 is never used
Page 6859 is never used
Page 6863 is never used
Page 6867 is never used
Page 6870 is never used
Page 6871 is never used
Page 6874 is never used
Page 6877 is never used
Page 6880 is never used
Page 6883 is never used
Page 6887 is never used
Page 6895 is never used
Page 6896 is never used
Page 6897 is never used
Page 6919 is never used
Page 6929 is never used
Page 7766 is never used
Page 7770 is never used
Page 7771 is never used
Page 7789 is never used
Page 8745 is never used
Page 8746 is never used
Page 9321 is never used
Page 9329 is never used
Page 9332 is never used
Page 9507 is never used
Page 10578 is never used
Page 10599 is never used
Page 10679 is never used
Page 10683 is never used
Page 10687 is never used
Page 10694 is never used
Page 10716 is never used
Page 10731 is never used
Page 10898 is never used
Page 11463 is never used
Page 11474 is never used
Page 11475 is never used
Page 11477 is never used
Page 11802 is never used
Page 11803 is never used
Page 11805 is never used
Page 11806 is never used
Page 11807 is never used
Page 11809 is never used
Page 11810 is never used
Page 11812 is never used
Page 11813 is never used
Page 11814 is never used
Page 11817 is never used
Page 11820 is never used
Page 11821 is never used
Page 11825 is never used
Page 11826 is never used
Page 11827 is never used
Page 11828 is never used
Page 11835 is never used
Page 11836 is never used
Page 11841 is never used
Page 11845 is never used
Page 14348 is never used
Page 14384 is never used
Page 14387 is never used

I've tried deleting and recreating the content_bookid_index like I saw suggested on an older thread here, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

I've noticed that this only really seems to be affecting one book at a time (ones that I've added recently - I've got thousands of books and fanfics on the Kobo so I don't know if it's affecting things i Haven't opened in a while), and when I try to open the affected book on the Kobo I get told that it has Adobe DRM on it and I can't open it on the Kobo.

Can anyone think of anything I can do to fix this without a factory reset?
Thanks!

P.S. I really know pretty much nothing about SQL files/editing, I had SQLite Studio and I've downloaded SQL Tools but don't really know how to use it.
JDesat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:40 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Have you tried vacuuming the file? That and re-indexing are about the only non-destructive suggestions I can come up with.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2022, 01:04 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@JDesat: The database gets corrupted because something went wrong. It could be a bug in the software, it could be that you didn't eject the device safely one time, it could have been a crash.

The only case I have been able to prove a reason for a corrupt database has been when reading CBZ or CBR files and then connecting to the PC. That was a bug on the device not freeing things properly. This was fixed recently in either the 4.28 or 4.30 firmware.

Looking at the errors, the only way that might fix it is the VACUUM, or compress, of the database. That basically dumps the database out and reloads it. It should clean up everything. But, there is a chance that some data will be lost. Most of those errors should be harmless and a sign that some cleanup wasn't done. The first two are

Rebuilding an index won't help. When that has been suggested, it was because the check showed that there was an index problem. And it named the index that needed to be rebuilt.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:39 AM   #4
JDesat
Connoisseur
JDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beautyJDesat does all things with Zen-like beauty

Unfortunately, when I try to VACUUM the database (in SQLite Studio or with the Kobo Utilities plugin in Calibre) that's when I get the 'disk image is malformed' error and it doesn't work.

Any other ideas, maybe a way to force the VACUUM, or am I SOL?
Old 01-26-2022, 08:57 AM   #5
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDesat View Post
Unfortunately, when I try to VACUUM the database (in SQLite Studio or with the Kobo Utilities plugin in Calibre) that's when I get the 'disk image is malformed' error and it doesn't work.

Any other ideas, maybe a way to force the VACUUM, or am I SOL?
Is vacuuming the same thing as "compressing the database"? I don't see an option to "vaccum" and I am having the same problem.

Edit: Oops, I see davidfor's suggestion above is to "VACUUM, or compress" the database, so I assume they are the same thing. Never mind.

Last edited by icallaci; 01-26-2022 at 09:04 AM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2022, 06:20 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
Is vacuuming the same thing as "compressing the database"? I don't see an option to "vaccum" and I am having the same problem.

Edit: Oops, I see davidfor's suggestion above is to "VACUUM, or compress" the database, so I assume they are the same thing. Never mind.
Different databases use different terms. I am used to "compress" so that is the term I used. I can see why they called it vaccum, but, it just doesn't feel right to me.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:21 PM   #7
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Different databases use different terms. I am used to "compress" so that is the term I used. I can see why they called it vaccum, but, it just doesn't feel right to me.
Thanks for the verification.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:55 PM   #8
JDesat
Connoisseur

I think I read somewhere that logging out of my Kobo account (on the Kobo itself) and logging back in will rebuild the database... would that work? And if so, I seem to remember doing that once and nothing was in my collections or had covers anymore, is there a way to fix that?
Old 01-26-2022, 10:03 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDesat View Post
I think I read somewhere that logging out of my Kobo account (on the Kobo itself) and logging back in will rebuild the database... would that work? And if so, I seem to remember doing that once and nothing was in my collections or had covers anymore, is there a way to fix that?
That would work. Afterwards, the device will import any sideloaded books. You will lose the reading status, annotations and collections for the sideloaded books. The actual collections will be synced from the Kobo server during the setup, but, they do not sync anything about the sideloaded books.

The covers should come from the books and should be regenerated by the device as they are needed. If you use calibre and use the option to send the covers to the device, the cover might not match or exist for some formats.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:24 PM   #10
JDesat
Connoisseur

Hmm... I have the Kobo Utilities plugin, so I could get my reading positions back on those, and the covers aren't a huge issue, really... but I sideload absolutely everything through Calibre, so losing the collections would be a pain... and I'd be annoyed at the fact that everything was messed up in my book list(s) because I always have it set for me to see recent books at the top... I'd say something like 80% of the 8,000 or so 'books' on my Kobo are fanfiction, and I tend to read things I've added recently more often than I do older stuff, so having to try to remember a name of a fic or author and trying to hunt it down would be an issue.

I suppose if this is my only option I'll have to do it, but for the moment, if no one can think of anything I can do to fix the database, I think I might just tough it out. So far it's only been 2 books that have caused an issue, both fanfic. One downloaded with FanFicFare, and another made into a docx file and then converted to epub in Calibre by me. Calibre doesn't let me delete them, but I can delete them on the Kobo itself without a problem. And, oddly, I've been able to get the docx one to work after several delete and resend attempts... that's when the other story started glitching.

Anyway, thanks everyone so far for your suggestions, even if nothing has worked yet.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:48 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

If you are using calibre to sideload the books, are you using it for collection management? If so, that should happen automatically as you get the books on the device. If you are not using it for collection management, there is a way to fetch the collections from the device to a column in calibre. Which needs calibre to still be able to connect to the device.

Reloading the device is also something I don't like because of the "Recent" sort. It is based on when the book was added and then the title within the batch. But, the Kobo Utilities plugin can set one of the date used by this (the other is the last read timestamp). I generally set it to the "Date" column in calibre as that is when the book was first added to the library. And will be reasonably close to when I first put it on the device. It isn't quite so good for books downloaded with FFF, as that will update the date when you update the book. But, the plugin can use any date column in the library.

You can keep going as you are. But, I would expect this to get worse, not better. If it is working, at the least you can do some preparation and maybe choose when you do it, rather than get forced into it. And if it is more serious that it currently appears, it will be seen if you restart the device. That will mean the database is reread, and if there were problems writing it, then you may end up with old data.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:36 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can setup the Kobo Utilities plugin with Calibre to backup your Kobo database to the computer every time you connect your Kobo to your library. That way you'll have a fairly updated database backup. That way you can restore it if you have another database corruption.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:25 PM   #13
Joliet Jake
Zealot
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
I had to deal with this issue recently (for only the second time in three years, that I recall), probably due to a loose cable. I haven't set Kobo Utilities to backup the database because I don't know what happens if the cable gets loose during the backup process.
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:07 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliet Jake View Post
I had to deal with this issue recently (for only the second time in three years, that I recall), probably due to a loose cable. I haven't set Kobo Utilities to backup the database because I don't know what happens if the cable gets loose during the backup process.
The backup would fail and the backup would be no good. But, it is a simple file copy, so the database on the device should not be affected.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:12 PM   #15
aymeric106
aymeric106 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
Strange I have the same issue.
Never happened before.

Just after upgrading to the latest firmware and uploading a new book with calibre.

Tried with various SQLLite editor without success.
I reseted my Kobo, but the error came back eventually, after a few transfer.

Will try with another USB cable, but file copy had no issue.

Aymeric
aymeric106 is offline   Reply With Quote