Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you own an Amazon Kindle and how many Amazon books have you purchased for it?
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased no books for it. 6 5.45%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased 1 to 20 books for it 17 15.45%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased 21 to 40 books for it 5 4.55%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased 41 to 60 books for it 2 1.82%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased 61 to 80 books for it. 3 2.73%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased 81 to 100 books for it. 2 1.82%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased 101 to 200 books for it. 11 10.00%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased 201 to 1,000 books for it 35 31.82%
Own Amazon Kindle and purchased over 1,000 books for it. 21 19.09%
Do not own an Amazon Kindle. 8 7.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Own an Amazon kindle and how many Amazon book purchased for it? [POLL ENDED]

It would be interesting to see how many folks reading and posting here actually own an Amazon Kindle and how many books you have purchased for it from Amazon.

To find out how many books you have purchased for your Amazon Kindle, go to the Manage Your Kindle page at Amazon under Your Account. Then under the View tab select Books.

I own 4 Kindles and my page shows I purchased 52 books for it to date from Amazon.

Last edited by sirmaru; 01-09-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
For what it's worth, I have owned three physical Kindles (K2, KT, PW2) and four iDevices running the Kindle app. 650 books from Amazon, a couple dozen from Baen, small handful of freebies from author sites and another small handful from BN (converted to mobi, bought using up a gift card I was given). And 43 audiobooks, which praise be are no longer trying to jump onto my Kindles--I personally hated that "feature" with the Touch, much prefer that the PW2 has nothing at all to do with Audible.

Don't have a count on current dead tree parts in the house, it's in the thousands. This is the year I shovel those no-longer-used relics off to charity so they no longer have to be dusted.
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Three people have voted they purchased over 1,000 eBooks from Amazon. That is quite an investment. At an average price of $ 10.00 per eBook, that averages out to more than $ 10,000. Those folks have got to be very wealthy.
What makes you think the average spent would be anywhere near $10 per?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Or they're merely middle class with different priorities than you, sirmaru. Or poor, even, using gift cards given to them, collecting free and discounted books, etc. Heck, around my neck of the woods, you can pour your saved spare change into a nearby Coinstar machine, and receive in return an Amazon gift card. Others use Swagbucks online to earn their gift cards. Still others funnel all their household expenses through an Amazon Visa, and earn bonuses to buy all the books their heart desires. And of course, many people won't spend more than $3-5 per ebook. That's a mere handful of the way I personally know of for people to get their books without spending $10 per on a large collection.

You really can't make such sweeping generalizations based on a poll like this. The data just isn't there to support it.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Quote:
Three people have voted they purchased over 1,000 eBooks from Amazon. That is quite an investment. At an average price of $ 10.00 per eBook, that averages out to more than $ 10,000. Those folks have got to be very wealthy.
This isn't a fair assumption. I've owned a Kindle for 2 years, a Fire HD for 1 year, and have "purchased" probably about 800 Amazon books in that time. [Can't get an exact count because I delete many books after I finish with them.] Do you know how many of those I've purchased for more than $0? Ten, and only one of them cost more than $2 because it was a college textbook. I've got about 200 non-Amazon books on Calibre that I've gotten through publisher giveaways or on sale elsewhere, and again the cost of the books that I've had to actually pay for is never more than $2 and only seven of these fall into that category.

So, that conservatively puts me at owning 1000 ebooks at a cost of [at most] $50. Nowhere near the $10,000 estimate you have here.
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have owned 3 Kindles since January 2010: Kindle 2, Kindle Keyboard, and Kindle Paperwhite 2. I have purchased between 201 - 1,000 books for it, not all of which have been purchased through Amazon. I think I have purchased about 80% of my books through Amazon.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Average of $10 a book? I have owned kindles since 2008 and I have bought and read a lot of books. In all this time I only ever paid close to $10 for exactly one book. That was a 9.99 purchase. The highest after that is 7.99 plus tax. But the majority of stuff I buy on sale. No clue what the average is but I have many books in the .99-2.99 range and those are mostly trad published, not self published. Like I said, I buy on sale. That is what ereaderiq's wishlists are for.

I also buy for 3.99-5.99, but most I think is more in the 2.99 range.

I thought this was suppose to be a poll, looks more like a dig towards people that read a lot of books and buy a lot of books. What is the point of that.

I feel like I just stepped into something odd.......

Last edited by Atunah; 01-09-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
*lurking mode off*

Yawn. I'm an English speaking foreigner. I have 2 kindles. Bought 1 ebook last year from Amazon only because it was not available in my tribal language. Why would that even interest anybody?

*lurking mode on*
Old 01-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Never realized that

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
What makes you think the average spent would be anywhere near $10 per?
EVERY one of my eBooks cost MORE than $ 7. I only buy 600 to 1,000 page history and biography books. One has been as high as $ 27 but that book is 1,729 pages (A New History of the Peloponnesian War). The average price for the eBooks on my wish list are about $ 12 per eBook.

I never realized that Amazon had so many low priced eBooks. I presume the fiction eBooks are near the low end of the price scale.

Of course, Amazon has lots of free eBooks as well which would lower the average price. I have never seen history eBooks available on Amazon with over 600 pages offered for free.

The lowest price eBook I have on my wish list is "The Martyrdom of Man" for only $ 2.99 with 574 pages. I believe that was the favorite book read by Winston Churchill.

Last edited by sirmaru; 01-09-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
I never realized that Amazon had so many low priced eBooks. I presume the fiction eBooks are near the low end of the price scale.
Yep. That's the problem. There's *many* things you don't realize. You seem to think that *everybody* reads like and what you do and then you try to fit us all into your worldview.

I'd suggest you just read your 12 books/year and stop worrying about the rest of us.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I voted for between 200-1000. However, the poll would be more meaningful if there were more options between 200-1000 and fewer between 0-100 considering the forum audience. It's not uncommon for people on MR to have annual reading goals of 100+ books.

Just out of curiosity I looked at what I spent on my last 50 purchases. I averaged $5.03 per book, ranging from $0-15. I buy fiction & nonfiction from mostly best-selling, mainstream authors. It's not surprising that many people would spend less than $10/book on average. Amazon provides lots of opportunities for discounted books with their Daily Deals and other monthly specials.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have over 1000 ebooks at Amazon (another 600 at B&N). Many were free or $1.99 or less. I can count on one hand the number over $7. Most of my buys were one day sales, at tremendous discount.
Quote:
I only buy 600 to 1,000 page history and biography books.
Clearly, your reading choices are very different from my own and probably many others. I have 7 or 8 history books, including a 5 (or 6) book series about WW2 written by Winston Churchill. The most expensive one was $2.99. Bought during a one day sale.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-09-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I have 3 kindles... I have purchased 175 ebooks BUT have over 600 freebies! Freebies are not on your poll ...
Old 01-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I have 3 kindles... I have purchased 175 ebooks BUT have over 600 freebies! Freebies are not on your poll ...
Freebies are a purchase too!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
EVERY one of my eBooks cost MORE than $ 7. I only buy 600 to 1,000 page history and biography books. One has been as high as $ 27 but that book is 1,729 pages (A New History of the Peloponnesian War). The average price for the eBooks on my wish list are about $ 12 per eBook.
That's cool, we're all different. A New History of the Peloponnesian War is actually on my want list, but I'm waiting for a 75%+ off code from Kobo and will buy it there so I can get it for $8-ish or less. I have quite a bit of non-fiction in my library, but most has been bought from Kobo since I could get it for much much less than Amazon ($8-$20 on Amazon, $1-$5 on Kobo with codes). Most of my Amazon purchases are fiction and if I had to guess at an average I'd say it's about $2-$4.
Closed Thread