Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 05:01 AM   #1
turnroot
turnroot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Question Stretched thumbnail covers

I am trying to make the thumbnails in the Kobo native reader appear with a fixed aspect ratio. In other words, I am trying to avoid to have stretched covers in my thumbnail view. I have previously achieved this my polishing the book, removing the ORIGINAL_EPUB file and then uploading to the device. For some reason, this stopped working.
I still want the cover to stretch out when in sleep mode.

Any suggestions for a new workflow or for troubleshooting mine?
I have KoboUtilities, KoboTouch and KoboTouch Extended installed.
I have no idea which covers are chosen for thumbnails - the first page, the second, or something else entirely?
turnroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:21 AM   #2
hatuluang
Connoisseur
hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
in my case after polishing the epub file, I sideload the epub to Kobo using Kobo Touch Extended plugin, so KTE will automatically convert the epub to kepub during sideload process. All my cover books (kepub format) are stretched out when my Kobo is in sleep mode.
I prefer to read books in kepub format on my Kobo, all the epub files are in the Calibre library, while their kepub is on my Kobo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-07-04.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	209358  

Last edited by hatuluang; Today at 05:34 AM.
hatuluang is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 05:38 AM   #3
turnroot
turnroot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatuluang View Post
in my case after polishing the epub file, I sideload the epub to Kobo using Kobo Touch Extended plugin, so KTE will automatically convert the epub to kepub during sideload process. All my cover books (kepub format) are stretched out when my Kobo is in sleep mode.
I prefer to read books in kepub format on my Kobo, all the epub files are in the Calibre library, while their kepub is on my Kobo.
I'd love to read kepubs - they are faster and better in all ways - but I've been having a lot of issues with bad margins, words with special characters such as "ö" that become squashed, as well as chapter titles and images that are automatically adjusted to the left when I polish/covert to kepub.
Furthermore, KoboUtilities refuses to backup annotations for books that are in kepub. Since I use annotations a lot and need a way to restore them, kepub seems to be out of the question.

Not sure I follow what sideloading is - I thought sideloading was the practice of placing the books on the Kobo from a PC without any need of software.

Last edited by turnroot; Today at 05:44 AM.
turnroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:57 AM   #4
hatuluang
Connoisseur
hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnroot View Post
I'd love to read kepubs - they are faster and better in all ways - but I've been having a lot of issues with bad margins, words with special characters such as "ö" that become squashed, as well as chapter titles and images that are automatically adjusted to the left when I polish/covert to kepub.
Furthermore, KoboUtilities refuses to backup annotations for books that are in kepub. Since I use annotations a lot and need a way to restore them, kepub seems to be out of the question.

Not sure I follow what sideloading is - I thought sideloading was the practice of placing the books on the Kobo from a PC without any need of software.
I set the polish book only to update metadata and cover in the book files, delete unused CSS rules from the book, and add soft hyphens. I read kepub with full justification.
I prefer to use the kepub format to have a reading statistic and windows preview for a footnote.

Kepub vs Epub:
1. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kepub
2. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...24&postcount=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	polish book seting.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	209360   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_038b.png
Views:	14
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	209362   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_032b.png
Views:	11
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	209363  

Last edited by hatuluang; Today at 06:10 AM.
hatuluang is online now   Reply With Quote