Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-11-2024, 05:03 AM   #1
naenee
naenee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara BW
Kobo Touch -> Kobo Clara BW?

Hi everyone.

I've been studiously consuming reviews of all the popular and not so popular e-readers, as my Kobo Touch doesn't hold a charge anymore. I think I've narrowed my choice down to the Kobo Clara BW (also helped by the neat comparison site I found on these forums, https://comparisontabl.es/e-readers/...Kobo+Touch#sbs, which suggest it's a straight upgrade). I do not need colour.

I put the device in the basket of an online store, but now I'm looking for.. cons? Such as, I read the epub is a lot slower than kepub. I read that I can convert epub to kepub, but are there any drawbacks/issues I might encounter which could be a deal-breaker? I don't want to go the Kindle route, I prefer "open" devices, I like the ability to self-repair the Kobo Clara BW down the line if necessary. I will get a sleep cover, as that seems nifty and I had a similar cover with my Kobo Touch which has always kept it safe.

Basically, I think I've decided, but if there are issues, I'd like people to share them. Not to bash the device, but just so that I can prepare myself.

Thanks
naenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 05:37 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by naenee View Post
Hi everyone.

I've been studiously consuming reviews of all the popular and not so popular e-readers, as my Kobo Touch doesn't hold a charge anymore. I think I've narrowed my choice down to the Kobo Clara BW (also helped by the neat comparison site I found on these forums, https://comparisontabl.es/e-readers/...Kobo+Touch#sbs, which suggest it's a straight upgrade). I do not need colour.

I put the device in the basket of an online store, but now I'm looking for.. cons? Such as, I read the epub is a lot slower than kepub. I read that I can convert epub to kepub, but are there any drawbacks/issues I might encounter which could be a deal-breaker? I don't want to go the Kindle route, I prefer "open" devices, I like the ability to self-repair the Kobo Clara BW down the line if necessary. I will get a sleep cover, as that seems nifty and I had a similar cover with my Kobo Touch which has always kept it safe.

Basically, I think I've decided, but if there are issues, I'd like people to share them. Not to bash the device, but just so that I can prepare myself.

Thanks
Don't take everything you read as accurate. Things have changed. Such as ePub is faster then it used to be so it's not too slow. Highlighting is a lot easier now on ePub. The dictionaries are every now using the Oxford Dictionary so they are compatible to the Kindle Dictionary. So don't take old information at face value as it could be wrong.

The Clara BW is a good device if you don't mind a 6" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2024, 05:40 AM   #3
naenee

Thanks for replying. About the size, I wondered about something bigger, but then I doubt I will use it often or take it with me. I am comfortable with the size of my Kobo Touch and that's the same with the BW, so that's okay. I have never highlighted anything or used a dictionary, but perhaps that is because it was a bit slow on the Touch. I just read
Old 06-11-2024, 05:45 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for replying. About the size, I wondered about something bigger, but then I doubt I will use it often or take it with me. I am comfortable with the size of my Kobo Touch and that's the same with the BW, so that's okay. I have never highlighted anything or used a dictionary, but perhaps that is because it was a bit slow on the Touch. I just read
Highlighting will be easier/faster and the dictionary is better then it was. Plus, the Clara BW is a faster device then your Touch. Also, the BW has the latest Carta 1300 screen soy ou will notice much better contrast vs the Touch. I do think you will enjoy the BW more.

The problem is that if you want a larger screen, the Libra 2 which is BW & 7" is discontinued. So you'd have to find somewhere to hopefully to get one as Kobo is out.
Old 06-11-2024, 06:24 AM   #5
naenee

I would be able to get the Libra 2 here I see, but it's more expensive for some reason (10 euros more) and the form factor is different (square almost). I'll go for the BW, thank you
Advert
Old 06-11-2024, 12:34 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Libra or Libra 2 is 7″ and has page turn buttons. The Clara BW is 6″ and touch only, no buttons.

Both have the same aspect ratio of screen.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 03:36 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The Libra or Libra 2 is 7″ and has page turn buttons. The Clara BW is 6″ and touch only, no buttons.

Both have the same aspect ratio of screen.
Buttons are irrelevant.
Old 06-11-2024, 04:00 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Buttons are irrelevant.
Perhaps you should prefix statements such as the one you wrote above with either IMO or IMHO? You may consider buttons irrelevant, many others seem to consider them as an important feature.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:49 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Buttons are irrelevant.
Maybe to you, but very relevant to others.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:53 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...I put the device in the basket of an online store, but now I'm looking for.. cons? Such as, I read the epub is a lot slower than kepub. ...
I've read that also. That's the only thing that would hold me back as I use ePubs (rather than KePubs) almost exclusively. I've asked elsewhere if that's still an issue with the latest release (hopefully not).
Old 06-11-2024, 10:30 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it may be worth, on the Libra Colour running the same 4.39 firmware as the Clara BW, the speed difference between ePub and kepub is pretty much negligible.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:49 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For what it may be worth, on the Libra Colour running the same 4.39 firmware as the Clara BW, the speed difference between ePub and kepub is pretty much negligible.
I must not have saved my edit to my previous post? In that edit I mentioned that a new Clara BW user (who posted in another thread and who uses ePubs exclusively) has not seen any slow down in loading ePubs in his Clara BW. So, apparently, the issue was either unique to one poster or it has been fixed by Kobo.

Either way, I'm happy to see that the Clara BW currently works well with ePubs.

EDIT: Mystery solved. I edited the wrong message in the wrong thread. Here's what I meant to add to post #10 in this thread.

Quote:
EDIT: I asked a poster who just got a Clara BW if it was slow on ePubs. The answer was no, and that poster uses ePubs exclusively. So, whatever problem the Clara BW may have had with ePubs, it looks like it was either an isolated issue, or it has been resolved. So that's good news

Last edited by rcentros; 06-11-2024 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:08 AM   #13
naenee

Okay, that's good to hear I haven't ordered yet, searching for the right online store, but I'll purchase this week.
Old 06-16-2024, 09:41 AM   #14
naenee

Update: purchased the Kobo BW and the red sleep cover.
Very happy with the Kobo, not too sure about the sleep cover, as I feel a "hard" front cover would be more protective, thinking about a leather case/cover as I had with my Touch.
I've installed Koreader and am slowly building my Calibre library, looking for things to tinker with in these forums.