Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 04-10-2020, 06:07 PM   #1
tykwytta
tykwytta began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Connection timed out when I try to access using external connetcion

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to share my library with a friend so I've followed the documentation (https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/ser...n-the-internet). I'm able to access locally as usual, but not from a external network, which return the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error.

I already tried to change the port, but gives me the same error.

The server error log show the following message:
Code:
calibre server listening on 0.0.0.0:8080
OPDS feeds advertised via BonJour at: 192.168.0.12 port: 8080
I'm using Manjaro Linux.

Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks
tykwytta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
tykwytta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykwytta View Post
I'm trying to share my library with a friend..
Just to be clear, I'm trying to share some of my own manuscripts (academics) and some short stories created by some friends.
Advert
Old 04-10-2020, 06:42 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tykwytta View Post
Hey everyone!

I'm trying to share my library with a friend so I've followed the documentation (https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/ser...n-the-internet). I'm able to access locally as usual, but not from a external network, which return the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error.

I already tried to change the port, but gives me the same error.

The server error log show the following message:
Code:
calibre server listening on 0.0.0.0:8080
OPDS feeds advertised via BonJour at: 192.168.0.12 port: 8080
I'm using Manjaro Linux.

Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks
How are you connecting your computer to the external network? A 192.168 address is not routable on the Internet. To quote from RFC-1918:
Code:
   The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved the
   following three blocks of the IP address space for private internets:

10.0.0.0        -   10.255.255.255  (10/8 prefix)
     172.16.0.0      -   172.31.255.255  (172.16/12 prefix)
     192.168.0.0     -   192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)
You will need to supply your computer with a routable address either by the port forwarding mentioned in the documentation or by placing it in your router's DMZ, either of which will use your router's external address as the computer address from the Internet. A Google search on whatsmyip should return the external address being used by your router at that time. It can change depending on your ISP's policies.

So while you may connect to your calibre server using 192.168.0.12:8080 from the internal side, you would need to use 76.45.120.89:8080 from the outside (assumes the address is what was returned from whatsmyip and that you port forwarded 8080 to 8080).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:01 PM   #4
tykwytta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
How are you connecting your computer to the external network? A 192.168 address is not routable on the Internet. To quote from RFC-1918:

So while you may connect to your calibre server using 192.168.0.12:8080 from the internal side, you would need to use 76.45.120.89:8080 from the outside (assumes the address is what was returned from whatsmyip and that you port forwarded 8080 to 8080).
First, thank you for the fast answer.

To connect from an external network, I checked my ip on whatsmyip site and tried exactly like you said, adding the port. I also configured my dns on manjaro creating on account on opendns and so on with no success.

Calibre show me two log types so I copied the one shown in the log error part, where show the message with the 192.168 address.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:19 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You need to PORT FORWARD on your Router (you need to log on to the router to do this)
Each brand has its own way, so consult the users documentation

My last 2 brands, there were 2 sections to configure
A trigger (the port , protocol) eg 8080 TCP
A service (the host) (the IP of the Calibre PC) Use the router to assign a RESERVED IP, that way it will always get the same INTERNAL network IP (eg 192.168.0.12)
The router may allow additional restrictions: Hours, User IP (the person connecting PUBLIC IP, ... )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2020, 09:15 AM   #6
tykwytta

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You need to PORT FORWARD on your Router (you need to log on to the router to do this)
Each brand has its own way, so consult the users documentation
I do that either. I port forward the default 8080 and later I also change the port but none of them worked for me.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:59 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Port forwarding issues are a problem to diagnose by us 3rd parties . We can't see the whole picture at the time.

There are so many places between the outside user and your PC that can (and usually SHOULD for user protections) block. Some ISP's block 80xx because their rules do not allow private 'server' traffic . Maybe a user in your locale can shed some more light.
Can you even PING your Public IP (if the router even allows) from a friends system?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:38 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does https://portforward.com/ help? It provides some good tips for setting up port forwarding.

Remember that your outside client will have to connect to your External IP address and the port you are forwarding.

Also be aware you can't test this from an internal device on your network; you need to test from an outside device (such as a smart phone with wifi disabled to ensure that it is coming from outside your network).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Diagnostics (repeating several things said above):
  • Can you ping your server from the public network? If not then something is blocking packets.
  • What does a traceroute of the public address from the public network give you? It should go all the way to the calibre server. If it does not then you will have a clue where the traffic is being stopped.
  • Is the firewall on the calibre server set up to accept packets from the router?
  • Is the firewall on your router set up to allow packet forwarding? Many refer to this as "setting up a DMZ".
  • Are you really testing from outside the local network, for example from the cellular network? Lots of routers will not forward packets from the private network back to the private network.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:23 PM   #10
tykwytta

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Can you even PING your Public IP (if the router even allows) from a friends system?
I didn't try that yet. I'll do that later and post back here. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2020, 06:26 PM   #11
tykwytta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Does https://portforward.com/ help? It provides some good tips for setting up port forwarding.

Remember that your outside client will have to connect to your External IP address and the port you are forwarding.

Also be aware you can't test this from an internal device on your network; you need to test from an outside device (such as a smart phone with wifi disabled to ensure that it is coming from outside your network).
I'll look at this link for more information. Maybe I'm doing something wrong when port forwarding. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2020, 06:42 PM   #12
tykwytta

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Diagnostics (repeating several things said above):
  • Can you ping your server from the public network? If not then something is blocking packets.
I'll try that as soon as possible.

Quote:
  • What does a traceroute of the public address from the public network give you? It should go all the way to the calibre server. If it does not then you will have a clue where the traffic is being stopped.
I have to check this too.

Quote:
  • Is the firewall on the calibre server set up to accept packets from the router?
It is all ok regarding the firewall. I'll try to create another server (plex or something). If it works then the problem might be on calibre side. If not, it is just me doing something wrong.

Quote:
  • Is the firewall on your router set up to allow packet forwarding? Many refer to this as "setting up a DMZ".
I've done everything suggested from tutorials and even the official site of the router provider. However, my knowledge on port forwarding is very poor, so I'll look this again.

Quote:
  • Are you really testing from outside the local network, for example from the cellular network? Lots of routers will not forward packets from the private network back to the private network.
Yes. I've tested from cellular network and asked some friends to try to access.

Thank you for pointing out those questions. I'll check all of them.

Tags
content server connect, timed out error