Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Amazon's book list

So a year or more into having the Kindle, what would you like to see as changes or improvements you'd like to see in the way that Amazon markets their list of books.

I'd personally like to see a better search engine and sorting function. There are times I'm just browsing for something to read and would like to have more of a "bookstore" approach, wherein one book leads to looking at a similar book of similar age, etc.

Also, I'd really like to see some better documentation for the origin of books. I'd rather avoid self-pub books that seem to have set every possible category as teh opic of their book just to get me to have to look at it.

And while we're at it, if they could do something about letting us know what version of book it is, as well, thinking of the "publishers" with really bad OCR's of classics who learned how to do Mobipocket yesterday...

'kay thanks.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Browsing sounds like a good thing to ask for .... except that I'm so swamped in stuff somebody mentioned, that looked good enough to download the sample, that I've not yet run out of stuff already available to read (& then purchase). So I've never really tried to browse. I usually look at book titles on my computer (rather than from the Kindle), and punch the "download sample" button freely. Someday, if I ever run out of samples, THEN I'll have to browse.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
So a year or more into having the Kindle, what would you like to see as changes or improvements you'd like to see in the way that Amazon markets their list of books.

I'd personally like to see a better search engine and sorting function. There are times I'm just browsing for something to read and would like to have more of a "bookstore" approach, wherein one book leads to looking at a similar book of similar age, etc. Absolutely!!!

Also, I'd really like to see some better documentation for the origin of books. I'd rather avoid self-pub books that seem to have set every possible category as teh opic of their book just to get me to have to look at it

And while we're at it, if they could do something about letting us know what version of book it is, as well, thinking of the "publishers" with really bad OCR's of classics who learned how to do Mobipocket yesterday...

'kay thanks.
when there are 4 different versions of the same book, you have no clue what the difference is, even if you download samples of all of them.

Let me skip all the of .01 cent to $1.00 books. Right now there is no way to get past them except click page by page. It would be nice to be able to skip every 10 pages or so.........or even enter the number of pages you want to skip.

Tell me if the title includes the complete anthology, or if its just the title story. Took a while to figure this one out.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
I agree. It would be nice if we could search Kindle books the way Amazon used to allow you to all search books. When they changed that I was seriously annoyed.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
etitameh
Enthusiast
etitameh doesn't litteretitameh doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
i haven't used it much myself, but http://jungle-search.com has recently been mentioned to me in another kindle discussion group as a good way to weed out specific prices, etc, in kindle books.
etitameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by etitameh View Post
i haven't used it much myself, but http://jungle-search.com has recently been mentioned to me in another kindle discussion group as a good way to weed out specific prices, etc, in kindle books.
Karma to you, it works! Thanks for the link......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
That's a good idea, you could probably email Amazon and let them know. Also thanks for the jungle-search link, that's cool!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
Originally Posted by etitameh View Post
Jungle Search is AWESOME! Thank you very much!
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #9
etitameh
Enthusiast
etitameh doesn't litteretitameh doesn't litter

jungle search seemed nifty in the brief look i gave it; i'm glad it's helped some of you out!
etitameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

I"m so glad I clicked on this thread. Thank you very much for leading me to Jungle Search
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

The search aspect needs to be better - I used to look for freebies by sorting price, low to high, but since they added all the pubic domain freebies (300 pages worth) it is a pain to find the "real" freebies.

Jungle Search helps, but I wish there was a way to completely weed out those public domains. There is just so much junk in there.
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #12
Tarma
Tarma began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the Jungle Search tip!

I have found myself browsing less and less on Amazon since the "helpful" changes to its sorting methods. I just don't have the time to wade through all the junk to find the gems.

Got news for Amazon...quantity (we have thousands of books) does not equal quality!
Tarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:47 AM   #13
chrhup
chrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn_eyed_girl81 View Post
The search aspect needs to be better - I used to look for freebies by sorting price, low to high, but since they added all the pubic domain freebies (300 pages worth) it is a pain to find the "real" freebies.

Jungle Search helps, but I wish there was a way to completely weed out those public domains. There is just so much junk in there.
Jungle-Search has an "Advanced Kindle Search" page. If you enter -domain (don't forget the minus before domain) in the "Publisher" field, it does a good job of weeding out all of the Public Domain books.
chrhup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
SamIAm
SamIAm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I second or third or forth...the jungle-search page! It's fantastic!
SamIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
You can also weed out the public domain books at Amazon by typing in "-domain" in the search box at the top of the Amazon Kindle Books page and then sort low to high.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote