Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
myki
Zealot
myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kinde PW v1, Kobo H2O, Onyx Boox T68
Insert a cover in a MOBI file - Mobi or Epub as default file ?

Greetings,

I am frightened ! I wonder if i have to restart everything
When i started to build my calibre database, i made the choice to work with MOBI files as default files, because i own a Kindle PW.

But when i tried to find a solution to add my calibre cover to my exported ebook, i found that it was possible by using the "modify epub" plugin.

So here my 2 questions :
  • Is there a way to do the same to my MOBI files ? (even if i must do a MOBI->EPUB->MOBI conversion)
  • Is there a way to convert all my MOBI files to EPUB ?

Now that i know how Calibre works, i would never made the choice to work with Mobi as default files

myki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by myki View Post
G[*]Is there a way to do the same to my MOBI files ? (even if i must do a MOBI->EPUB->MOBI conversion)[*]Is there a way to convert all my MOBI files to EPUB ?[/LIST]
Now that i know how Calibre works, i would never made the choice to work with Mobi as default files

Why are you preferring Mobi?
Modern Kindles support AZW3 (but do require transferring direct connection, not by e-mail)

It is easy Bulk convert to EPUB (just CPU time consuming).

Search:not formats:EPUB
This gets those that have not been converted

Select All (blue: depends on your search preference setting)

Tap 'C' (Convert) Select the output format of choice in the upper right
NB: to ignore all previous conversions settings were previously used PER BOOK. REMOVE the Tick from the box in the upper corner

This will insert/replace-with the CURRENT cover and metadata as shown in the Library
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
myki
Zealot
myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Thanx for your help theducks.

I have another question :
Is there a way to remove the old MOBI file after the epub conversion ?
(I know how to delete the mobi file one by one but not in one click, or automatically right after the conversion)
Old 06-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanx for your help theducks.

I have another question :
Is there a way to remove the old MOBI file after the epub conversion ?
(I know how to delete the mobi file one by one but not in one click, or automatically right after the conversion)
There are bulk modes for almost everything in calibre
Search: formats:AZW3 <the format you want to KEEP

Select All (blue)
Right click the Remove Icon: (2nd item ) Remove all... of selected format

This will remove Mobi from those (if it was there)
Old 06-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
myki
Zealot

Perfect
But now i am a bit confused !

What is the best for me : store books in EPUB format, and only convert them to AZW3 when i upload them to my Kindle, or store them already in AZW3 in calibre file structure ?

If your advice is to store them in Calibre in AZW3, how do i convert them when i import a book into Calibre, from an epub file ?

Thank you very much again theducks !
Advert
Old 06-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Perfect
But now i am a bit confused !

What is the best for me : store books in EPUB format, and only convert them to AZW3 when i upload them to my Kindle, or store them already in AZW3 in calibre file structure ?

If your advice is to store them in Calibre in AZW3, how do i convert them when i import a book into Calibre, from an epub file ?

Thank you very much again theducks !
Since I have 2 readers that use differing formats I keep BOTH. Are you disk limited?

Setting AZW3 (ticked) to the top of the (configure) device will automatically convert at send time if AZW3 does not exist

Preferences:behavior sets the preferred (default conversion) output
Preferences:Adding books (second tab) has a tick to convert, on add, to the format set (above) in behavior
Old 06-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

BTW I prefer to wait to convert/polish until I have massaged the cover and metadata
Old 06-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
myki
Zealot

I'm affraid that i need more help...
As you said, i have set AZW3 as my preferred output format,
I have ticked "automatically convert added files to the current output format" in "adding books",
but when I import an epub to calibre, it remains unchanged.
What am I doing wrong ??

Second :
When you say :
Quote:
Setting AZW3 (ticked) to the top of the (configure) device will automatically convert at send time if AZW3 does not exist
Do i need to connect my Kindle to access this menu ?
Where can I find it ??

Thanks for your patience !
Old 06-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I'm affraid that i need more help...
As you said, i have set AZW3 as my preferred output format,
I have ticked "automatically convert added files to the current output format" in "adding books",
but when I import an epub to calibre, it remains unchanged.
What am I doing wrong ??

Second :
When you say :

Do i need to connect my Kindle to access this menu ?
Where can I find it ??

Thanks for your patience !
I don't use that feature, so it may need you to setup and use the Auto add folder. Remember:auto add deletes things placed in the folder after making the calibre library copy

If the device is not connected you have to get at it the hard way:
hint: connect the device
hint2: Each model have its own settings, so check if you change models or brands
Old 06-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
myki
Zealot

Ok theducks, thanks again !
So i will go in the simple way : Save my epubs... in epub and convert them on the fly when i'll copy them to the Kindle.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:55 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
How to configure a device driver (while device is connected): see screenshot.

While device is not connected: Go to Preferences ==> Advanced ==> Plugins, and select the Device Interface Plugin you need. In this case, The Kindle 2/3/4/Touch/Paperwhite plugin, in this case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-configure-device.png
Views:	275
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	124676  
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
myki
Zealot

Thank you very much eschwartz, learning all the power of calibre, about syncing with my Kindle is the most important to me !
It's a new land to me, I can't wait to explore... but before I want my database as clean as possible.
I have to fix my comments... And the most difficult : the tags.
I will surely have some questions in the future
Old 06-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Thank you very much eschwartz, learning all the power of calibre, about syncing with my Kindle is the most important to me !
It's a new land to me, I can't wait to explore... but before I want my database as clean as possible.
I have to fix my comments... And the most difficult : the tags.
I will surely have some questions in the future
Ask away!

My pleasure.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote