Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
senhal
Connoisseur
senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle NT
Modify metadata leaving epub untouched

Is it possible to modify metadata on Calibre library without changing the epub embedded opf?
I'd like to import my files and leave them untouched.

(As Calibre generates an external opf file, is it possible to change meta only on it?)

Thanks in advance
senhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by senhal View Post
Is it possible to modify metadata on Calibre library without changing the epub embedded opf?
I'd like to import my files and leave them untouched.

(As Calibre generates an external opf file, is it possible to change meta only on it?)

Thanks in advance
That's actually the default. The Calibre metadata is only in the metadata DB and external opf file; the ebook file itself is not touched unless you do something like Embed Metadata or Modify Epub. Or export the book out of the library in any way, of course (Send to Device, Save to Disk, email). And in the latter case only the exported copy is touched, not the original in the library.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
senhal
Connoisseur
senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.senhal knows what's going on.

Thanks... but what am I missing?

These are the metadata on the epub before importing it.
Code:
    <dc:title>[Divine Comedy 01] Inferno</dc:title>
    <dc:creator opf:role="aut">Dante Alighieri</dc:creator>
    <dc:identifier id="BookID" opf:scheme="UUID">123</dc:identifier>
    <dc:language>it</dc:language>
    <meta name="cover" content="cover.jpg"/>
I add it to the Calibre library and change this:

into this:

Then I open the epub clicking edit book; in the opf I find:
Code:
    <dc:title>Inferno</dc:title>
    <dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Alighieri, Dante">Dante Alighieri</dc:creator>
    <dc:identifier id="BookID" opf:scheme="UUID">123</dc:identifier>
    <dc:date>0101-01-01T00:00:00+00:00</dc:date>
    <dc:language>it</dc:language>
    <dc:identifier opf:scheme="calibre">85d48496-d53a-46f2-9765-bd64f89e15a2</dc:identifier>
    <meta name="cover" content="cover.jpg"/>
    <meta name="calibre:title_sort" content="Inferno"/>
    <meta name="calibre:series" content="Divine Comedy"/>
    <meta name="calibre:series_index" content="1.0"/>
    <meta name="calibre:author_link_map" content="{&quot;Dante Alighieri&quot;: &quot;&quot;}"/>
Plus a pair of meta regarding 2 custom columns I use:
Quote:
<meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#notes" content="{&quot;is_custom&quot;: true, &quot;rec_index&quot;: 23, &quot;table&quot;: &quot;custom_column_4&quot;, &quot;is_category&quot;: true, &quot;#extra#&quot;: null, &quot;#value#&quot;: [], &quot;display&quot;: {&quot;is_names&quot;: false, &quot;description&quot;: &quot;&quot;}, &quot;datatype&quot;: &quot;text&quot;, &quot;is_csp&quot;: false, &quot;is_editable&quot;: true, &quot;is_multiple&quot;: &quot;|&quot;, &quot;search_terms&quot;: [&quot;#notes&quot;], &quot;category_sort&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;label&quot;: &quot;notes&quot;, &quot;column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;is_multiple2&quot;: {&quot;ui_to_list&quot;: &quot;,&quot;, &quot;list_to_ui&quot;: &quot;, &quot;, &quot;cache_to_list&quot;: &quot;|&quot;}, &quot;kind&quot;: &quot;field&quot;, &quot;name&quot;: &quot;Note&quot;, &quot;colnum&quot;: 4, &quot;link_column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;}"/>
Old 09-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
In Edit E-Book, go to Edit ==> Preferences ==> Integration with calibre (tab) and uncheck Update metadata embedded in the book when opening.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
senhal
Connoisseur

Great, it works!
Thank you!
Advert
Old 10-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #6
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I'm trying to do the opposite, to use Calibre to correct epub metadata.

If I open the resulting files with my epub reader, or copy them to my e-reader, I get the old incorrect metadata.

But I don't see any "edit menu" or any "integration with Calibre" in the "Preferences" menu.

P.S. However, from my end, there's an option to add an "embed metadata" function to the toolbar.

Last edited by MarjaE; 10-26-2015 at 05:13 PM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post

If I open the resulting files with my epub reader, or copy them to my e-reader, I get the old incorrect metadata.

But I don't see any "edit menu" or any "integration with Calibre" in the "Preferences" menu.

P.S. However, from my end, there's an option to add an "embed metadata" function to the toolbar.
@MarjaE - if you use calibre's Send to Device or Save to Disk features then the updated metadata should be in the Sent/Saved copy.

If you want the updated metadata to update the library copy of the book, then there's a feature called Embed Metadata, you may need to add it to toolbars and or menus in Preferences->Toolbars

Ninja'd by the OP

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre now has 2 different sets of preferences
The Main (GUI) Library Preference
e-Book Editor Preferences
Preferences:Behavior: Toolbars (a tab) is used to add-remove toolbar icons in the main GUI. Remeber that there may be 2 modes for some items Connected (and Not Connected) They need to be set independently (when the proper condition has been met)

The e-book Editor also has 2 (subtle) modes (Edit: Preferences: Toolbars (Side Tab)
Global (on the main toolbar), applies to the Book
Current Tab (on the Tabbed Window) Applies to that edit TAB (file)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post

The Edit menu, and "Integration with calibre" are part of Edit E-Book, of course.

In the Library component (the main part of calibre), Embed Metadata is indeed the correct way to go.

And as BetterRed pointed out, if you usually use calibre's send-to-device feature to transfer the EPUBs,,,,, then the metadata should be properly updated in the copy sent to the device.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote