Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
cover art on the touch screen

Hi, I must have missed something here, I see some photos showing the nook displaying the cover art on the touch screen, but cannot find it on my new nook. I have some Calibre created epubs which have covers I put in during compiling, how do I get these show on the touch screen exactly? do I need to softroot the nook first? Can the nook do something similar to the cover flow on the iPod where you can scroll covers and pick open the book? many thanks.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
DarthV
Enthusiast
DarthV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
Think they are displayed only in the My B&N Library ? Haven't softrooted my new Nook to see if the other manager will display covers or not.
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Sylver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthV View Post
Think they are displayed only in the My B&N Library ? Haven't softrooted my new Nook to see if the other manager will display covers or not.
Thanks, that is disappointing, I thought the cover flow works on my own library list.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I don't have a nook (yet...) but from what I understand, the cover flow feature on the nook only works with B&N ebooks.

The softrooted one, however, does apparently allow cover flow on all of your books, including non-B&N ones.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
yes the cover flow only is for the BN library.

You do get the color cover book, if it's embeded, on the bottom screen when you open up your book, when in my documents.

it'll show up on the left with the reading tools/options(find, font, go to etc) on the right.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Sylver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

it'll show up on the left with the reading tools/options(find, font, go to etc) on the right.
That is, you have to softroot the nook first, I suppose? As I only see a vertical gray bar on the left, not the cover.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
That is, you have to softroot the nook first, I suppose? As I only see a vertical gray bar on the left, not the cover.
No, you do not have to softroot the Nook before you see the cover in the bottom screen. At least, I have not softrooted my Nook and I see them.

To see the cover, I think that in addition to copying over the epub file, you also have to copy over an image file with the same name (but different file type, e.g, jpg) When I use Calibre to create my epubs, I set the cover image for the book (which I get from a Google image search), and when I use Calibre to copy the book to my Nook, the cover image appears.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
no mine isn't softrooted and I'll get it on some of my Fictionwise books i sideloaded. Some have it jpeg embeded some don't. and some that I have in word document will actully have the MicroSoft "box" cover, LOL

but right now I'm looking at the cover of "Carrie" by Stephen King I purchased at Fiction wise.

but the ones whose image isn't embedded I like you will only see the verticle bar or an outline of a book

So it depends on how it is when transferred to the Nook if it's not displaying it then it wasn't embeded or emebded in a format that may not be supported, which I don't know what that format could be.

Last edited by boswd; 06-28-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
If you use Calibre to sideload your books it will create a JPG image of the cover, and transfer that to the Nook, together with the book.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
If you use Calibre to sideload your books it will create a JPG image of the cover, and transfer that to the Nook, together with the book.
Yes, that is what I use as well, Calibre
Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 AM   #11
jcornel7
jcornel7 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Can someone clear this up for me. With some serious detail and instruction. I was 5 minutes from taking my nook back because the only reason I bought is I like to see the covers of books in my library. If you telling me I can do that and it works please describe exact process and firmware etc. I am using 1.4 and Calibre .76.
My process is as follows:
Pick my epub book
Add the metadata
Grab the image after I auto add the metadata
then send specific format to main memory of device. Not a single one show the cover.

I have.epub files and .jpg with the exact same names copied into the (on nook) My documents folder and the my B&N downloads folder

HELP me keep the nook. Thanks!
jcornel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:12 AM   #12
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Only soft rooting your nook allows you to see the pretty covers as a scrolling 'library' for your own books that are not purchased thru B&N
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
jcornel7, I am afraid that Lastblade is correct.

Your B&N purchased books will appear as bookcover images in a scrolling library in the touch screen.
The epub books that you add yourself will NOT appear as a scrolling library.

However, when you open one of your personally added epub books, that book's cover will appear in the touch screen, to the left of the menu with "Find", "Go To", "Bookmarks" etc.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcornel7 View Post
Can someone clear this up for me. With some serious detail and instruction. I was 5 minutes from taking my nook back because the only reason I bought is I like to see the covers of books in my library. If you telling me I can do that and it works please describe exact process and firmware etc. I am using 1.4 and Calibre .76.
My process is as follows:
Pick my epub book
Add the metadata
Grab the image after I auto add the metadata
then send specific format to main memory of device. Not a single one show the cover.

I have.epub files and .jpg with the exact same names copied into the (on nook) My documents folder and the my B&N downloads folder

HELP me keep the nook. Thanks!
again as I and others have stated. The cover flow with your library only works on books bought through BN. But if you have books from your own library that are embedded with the cover of the book. This will show up when you open up the book. It will be located on the bottom of the screen.

When you open up "My Documents" and view your library, no, you won't see the covers but like I said when you open up a book that does have cover(jpeg) it will show up on the screen.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #15
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote