Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 01-10-2021, 12:17 PM   #1
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Is there a way to sync (with say, syncthing) all settings, and history across devices

I read on my samsung s6 tablet, my kindle paperwhite and occasionally my ubuntu laptop.

I use syncthing to keep the document folder completely in sync.

I've noticed when I open a new book on one device, and then decide I want to read it on another, I have to re-open it on each device to get it to show up in history. I prefer using History view to quickly jump between books.

Is there anyway to set up syncthing to sync the history/koreader settings between devices? Which files/folders would I want to sync? And is this a bad idea for some reason?

Ideally I could decide I want to open book X on device Y and have book X populated across all history views on all devices.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
IIRC, the history stores absolute references to the filepaths, so, no, not without some "help".
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
Xwang
Connoisseur
Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
IIRC, the history stores absolute references to the filepaths, so, no, not without some "help".
I would like to do the same between my Archlinux PC and my android tablet.
I would put my calibre library on both of them syncing it with syncthing.
Then I would like to be able to have my reading status synced between the devices including the last page read.
Is it possible?
You where referring to "absolute paths" so I suppose that creating a /storage/xxxx-yyyy on my Pc which matches the mount point of the sd card in the tablet (where the calibre library will be based) and linking it to the real position of the calibre library on the PC should do the trick. Is it correct?
If it is so, syncthing also the folder where KOreader configs are stored between PC and tablet is going to solve the issue of syncing the last read page on the devices?
Xwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As far as reading position goes, the KOSync plugin will do that for you; I was chiefly speaking about the history table dump.

I have no idea how sym/hard-links are stored (or how they're even followed), given that we mostly target devices with a crappy filesystem that does not support symlinks at all .

TL;DR: Try it, see what happens .
Old 03-29-2021, 02:01 PM   #5
Xwang
Connoisseur
Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xwang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As far as reading position goes, the KOSync plugin will do that for you; I was chiefly speaking about the history table dump.

I have no idea how sym/hard-links are stored (or how they're even followed), given that we mostly target devices with a crappy filesystem that does not support symlinks at all .

TL;DR: Try it, see what happens .
Does KOSync relies on "cloud" servers?
As far as I've understood syncthing can be used as a peer to peer on the local netwoork without going on the WAN
Advert
Old 03-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You can run a server instance on your local network.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:57 PM   #7
Xwang
Connoisseur

Quote:
You can run a server instance on your local network.
I'll give a try as soon as possible.
Thank you

EDIT: just a doubt: Does the sync-server share only the last read page or also the file? I mean using that I still need to have a copy of the library in each device or only on the server side? In the latter case can I use the android device as server?

Last edited by Xwang; 03-29-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:36 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I have zero experience with KOSync.

But, yes, you do need the file, and it needs to be identical (at the byte-level) on all the devices.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:45 PM   #9
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
But, yes, you do need the file, and it needs to be identical (at the byte-level) on all the devices.
I think technically it may only need to think it's identical, since the (partial) MD5 sum is stored in .sdr. But don't quote me on that.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:12 PM   #10
Xwang
Connoisseur

Yes the syncing mechanism seems to work correctly once both device have their copy of the book.
Now I am strugling again with the screen rotation (arghhhhh).