Notices

Old 02-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
excaliber
Connoisseur
excaliber began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5110
Calibre + Syncthing?

Hi all,

I want to sync my Calibre libraries among my devices with syncthing. I have tried to do it but I get sometimes error messages from syncthing reporting corrupted metadata.db.

Is there any way to avoid errors and make these two apps work together without any issues? Has anyone had success with this?

Thanks in advance.
excaliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #2
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
I use Free File Sync to backup my library to a Portable Drive and move it between Laptop and Desktop and have never had a problem. I don't use syncthing at all.

I would recommend always closing Calibre before running any sync tool. I would think that syncthing is trying to modify metadata.db while calibre is working with it. Do you see the error while calibre is open or is calibre open in more than one location at the same time.
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
excaliber
Connoisseur

@jimbob101: Thanks for the quick response!

The first time a saw the error it was indeed as I had one Calibre instance open. So I assume one possible solution is just to keep all Calibre instances closed while syncing. I wonder if syncing while all Calibre instances are open is also somehow possible.

Last edited by excaliber; 02-11-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:20 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
@jimbob101:

.. I wonder if syncing while all Calibre instances are open is also somehow possible.
i sync daily with free file sync, without closing calibre beforehand. never had any problems
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
excaliber
Connoisseur

OK. Thanks. I will try to sync with FFS.
Advert
Old 02-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@excalibre - see -->> I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?

Quote:
If you are using a file-syncing tool it is essential that you make sure that both calibre and the file syncing tool do not try to access the calibre library at the same time. In other words, do not run the file syncing tool and calibre at the same time.
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:27 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
like he says- for the ~1 minute that FFS needs to do it's thing, I have calibre open but idling. FFS is very fast
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:48 AM   #8
excaliber
Connoisseur

Thanks all for your tips!

After some trial & error syncing with syncthing seems to be working (I get no conflicting files up until now). Before I make any change in any Calibre instance I pause all synced Calibre folders. After I do change something in Calibre on one device I close Calibre and then resume syncing on the same device. After syncthing has registerd the change I resume the synced folders on the other devices. The syncthing settings which I use are:

Folder Type: Send & Receive
File Pull Order: Newest First
File Versioning: Trash Can File Versioning

Tags
syncthing