Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Do avatar images influence your impression of personality?

I recently realised that avatar images influence my perception of the person behind it. Not quite consciously, but I partly 'judge' the character of a person based on their avatar. Of course there are a number of active members, which I've gotten to know well enough to know more of their character from what they say/write and how they act in general, but they're probably a minority. And I still notice their avatar.

One result is that I've become more aware of what avatar image I use where, and what that image may project. Another, that I try to remember that people are not(?) their avatar - though it may be difficult

Is this something you have noticed yourself? And do you let it guide you with regards to choosing an avatar image? For those who change around a lot; is that simply a reflection of a mercurial character? (I so wanted to use that expression sometime )

Last edited by Ea; 11-29-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typo
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Yes, I do initially judge the poster by their avatar but future impressions do count (especially since many of us change avatars somewhat frequently for fun).

No, I have a theme and choose my avatars based on that theme, so I don't consider other's opinion when choosing a new one.

I love your avatar BTW!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Daffy! It's from a desktop image giveaway at smashingmagazine.com.

You personally have a great avatar theme going Yours, like others having a theme, do make me feel I get a glimpse into their personality. The theme itself counts as well

I didn't use to consider others' imppression, but my own experience led me to believe that even if I wasn't consciously aware, it would probably still affect me. Thus probaly also affect others - and vice versa, etc.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I definitely look to the avatar of someone and it does give me an impression of that person. For my first avatar here, I chose one with a penguin in it. Iʻve never actually felt strongly either way about penguins, but I seemed to just "become" a penguin, so Iʻve kept that "theme" going all this time. Now, I see the word "penguin" and it feels like home. So I think my avatar has changed me...?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard

Hello, Grace Krispy the Penguin! Obviously you felt at home with the idea of your avatar. It's great. I used a puffin photo from my vacation this summer, but I felt the lion was more 'right' and fitted better for this commmunity. Apart from the fact that I love this particular image, too.
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Not really, but I do find it confusing when two people use the same avatar!

Though, I do get influenced by avatars, not so much personality, but rather gender... When somebody has a "female" avatar (or an avatar I see as female), I find it strange when that person turns out to be male (or vice versa, naturally!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Though, I do get influenced by avatars, not so much personality, but rather gender... When somebody has a "female" avatar (or an avatar I see as female), I find it strange when that person turns out to be male (or vice versa, naturally!)
I see what you mean. I think I've only had to consciously 'switch' a few times though - but I do wonder what impact it may have to others' perception and consequent reactions to you whether they interpret the avatar as being male of female. Especially if your username is not obviously male or female?
Old 11-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Avatars definitely influence my perception of the people behind them. I don't know how to explain it very well; it's sort of like, the avatar becomes the "face" of that person. When I see that person's screen name, I picture the avatar. It makes it terribly confusing to me when people switch avatars, then, or when they have a person in their avatar, but then they look absolutely nothing like that person - which I know is strange, but that's how it works out in my head.
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirael View Post
Avatars definitely influence my perception of the people behind them. I don't know how to explain it very well; it's sort of like, the avatar becomes the "face" of that person. When I see that person's screen name, I picture the avatar. It makes it terribly confusing to me when people switch avatars, then, or when they have a person in their avatar, but then they look absolutely nothing like that person - which I know is strange, but that's how it works out in my head.
It's often like that to me, too. I do think you explain it quite well, actually. It can be especially confusing if someone use a person for an avatar - and you then learn that that person is not them but someone else.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Avatars and screen names! I think my first mental image (I tend to be very visually oriented,) of a person is based upon how that person represents him/her self.

My wife tells me that my avatar makes her think of a scholar. Well, I am a retired university prof... I think I chose it simply because it had lots of books in the picture and this avatar was for a book forum.

I use the same screen name in several forums and chose it from my hobby; leather crafting. A stitchawl is something used for making holes when sewing leather.

I enjoy trying to envision what a particular person looks like based upon their various representations! Of course... I'm probably wrong more often than not!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
My “avatar” is a not very recent photo of myself. Perhaps it implies immaturity. Maybe I should change it to something that commands more respect or denotes intelligence. What do you think?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My “avatar” is a not very recent photo of myself. Perhaps it implies immaturity?
That boy looks pretty intelligent and sharp - no need to replace him
Old 11-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
That boy looks pretty intelligent and sharp - no need to replace him
Thanks! And I suppose that "Fanner Fifty" with the genuine Swivel Holster must command some respect!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

I enjoy trying to envision what a particular person looks like based upon their various representations! Of course... I'm probably wrong more often than not!

Stitchawl

I look *just* like my avatar. The one in the middle, that is. Next to the blue fish. And Iʻm krispy too.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have kept the same avatar (except for a single two-week period) since I first joined MobileRead. Many people -- self included -- will see the avatar and if it registers in the brain then I just skip the name and go directly to the body of the post. I use (if available) the same name on all forums; but, a unique avatar for each forum. This helps me to keep the posting on track. If the avatar is a moving bar code then this must be MobileRead and we will avoid talking about Federal Acquisition Regulations.

Even when she has changed her avatars, I have always known that they were Daffy. Some people like Alex (founder of MobileRead) and Bob Russell (a MobileRead moderator) have drawings that look like them. I met Bob once and his avatar looks more like him than his driver's license photo looks like him.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote