Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
donttrustben
donttrustben began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Wikipedia / Porting calibre to android

Hi,

Firstly, thanks to the calibre peeps for creating such functional and easy to use software and releasing it as free software.

So, a blue sky question: Is it possible to read wikipedia on an ebook reader? If not, what would need to be done to get there?

My thoughts on the second question to date:

1. (English) wikipedia is big (5.4GB bz2-compressed currently). ePub is natively compressed format and seems the obvious format to convert to, but I wonder how much bigger a zip compressed file will be than a bz2 one (also need to take into consideration the differing XML). Perhaps size also matters because if you store all the articles in one big file then that file is a lot smaller than thousands of smaller files.

What would be cool is if you could mount a bz2 compressed folder of ePub files directly using archivemount/FUSE on the ereader (or computer for that matter). For my case (I'm likely buying a nook), I wonder if anyone has got fuse working on android?

2. Are there any efforts to port the reading part of calibre to android? I think this would be awesome, because when the tech gets better companies will stop supporting their old products. I'm thinking of rockbox being better than standard ipod software as an example of this. Given the open nature of android, it might be possible to get commercial interests working towards that as well.

3. If you have internet access, then you could start a calibre content server and just access each article as an ebook over the net. Not an ideal solution I know.

4. Storage problems aside, if you store each ebook as a file, then it might become unwieldy to find the article you are looking for because there is so many articles, assuming 1 article = 1 ebook.

Fire away.. I apologize if I've said uninformed or stupid things - I'm supposed to be working, and these thoughts are embryonic.
ben
donttrustben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Since most android devices apart from a few crippled e-book readers liek the nook all have internet access anyway, this would really only be useful ion the limited situations when you're without internet access.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
donttrustben

So, to partially answer my questions about porting and compression, FBReaderJ apparently works on Android (though not sure specifically about nook), and can read from gzip (but not bz2, though the original FBReader can).
Old 01-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
donttrustben

Thanks for the quick reply David.

I think it is a little more complicated than that, especially for non-US citizens. Also, reading wikipedia online is different than reading it as an ebook.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are a couple of projects to make wikipedia available offline on ebook readers, dont recall them right now, but a little googleing should do the trick
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
donttrustben

Hmm, yes there are some interesting things out there. I still haven't found a pain-free method of getting the wikipedia xml to an ebook format, though it presumably can be done. One method might be to convert the wikipedia XML to HTML and then to epub, perhaps filtering out some stuff like sidebars along the way. Then gzip the whole thing and use FBReaderJ to read the one big gzip file on android. It seems a little long winded to me, but otherwise I don't see how delving into the details of wikipedia xml or epub can be avoided, which might get very complex.

See also a similar discussion where they had storage problems that don't appear to have been solved: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31041
Old 07-28-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
jadavbheda
jadavbheda began at the beginning.

Device: none
porting calibre to android

Can't we try to port calibre on android?

That way it will convert almost anything to epub and then FBReader will just display epub.

Please help me for "how to compile conversion module only?"

-- Thanks
jadavbheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I do not think that you can easily strip out just the parts of Calibre that you want!

Calibre has a very large number of dependencies, and you would need to get all of those onto Android first. You would then need Python itself (is that available as standard on android), and then once that is all in place you could start trying to get Calibre itself working.

Even if all the above steps were successful, it is doubtful that the device would have the resources to run Calibre (I assume that you are talking about a mobile device here?).

However despite the pessimistic tone of the above, I am sure that if anyone succeeded the results would be welcomed
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote